The Simpsons on Disney+

mstrox

The FX app gave you a choice of aspect ratios, if I recall correctly, when you actively picked an episode - but if you did the random Simpsons episode button or let it autoplay, I think it defaulted to cropped widescreen for the first 19 (Fullscreen) seasons

I’m glad Disney will add this change; I kind of expected it to happen at some point given that there were a bunch of articles about it in the last week. 

And you’ve reminded me I need to go back and watch some of these cartoons from my childhood - Chip n Dale, Gargoyles, and others. 

So far I’ve only watched:

Both Mando episodes

30 min of Rogue One until I got bored

S1E1 of The Simpsons 

The Little Mermaid

An episode of a random NatGeo documentary about mountain life that I quite liked 

I watched both Mandalorian episodes.  We watched The Three Caballeros with my kid.  Otherwise at this point, it's just been Disney Junior shows (and Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, as I photographed above) as background noise for my kid.

On 11/14/2019 at 7:29 PM, mstrox said:

True - there's also an edited scene in Fantasia.

Cutting controversial or retarded content from past media is dangerous - it's no extension of the limits of tolerance and equality, it's history censorship.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Cutting controversial or retarded content from past media is dangerous - it's no extension of the limits of tolerance and equality, it's history censorship.

The scene from Fantasia was censored in 1969. This is nothing new.

Now, they're putting disclaimers at the beginning of movies and in their description.

Your bizarre movie-based history program is still relatively intact.

We just watched Fantasia with my kid for the first time a few weeks ago.  At the time, I read through the IMDB trivia - I think the audio was unsalvageable for a rerelease/remaster, so they had a known voice actor rerecord it.

EDIT:  Yup

The 2000 restoration was the first time the longer, so-called roadshow version of the film was seen after the initial release. This version contains much longer interstitials from Deems Taylor explaining what will be seen. The picture of these segments was easy to find and was cleaned up, since most of them were used in the 1990 restoration, but the soundtrack for the segments that had not been seen since the 1940s either could not be found or was in terrible shape. After much debate, actor Corey Burton was called in to dub all of Taylor's dialog, but the original narration can be heard in the soundtrack sequence halfway through the picture.

On 11/16/2019 at 9:49 PM, mstrox said:

Wonder if they’re going to do the same for some of the other butchered shows that nobody is raising a stink about like Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers?

5E77EC3D-097B-4213-A611-32F94E9752A0.jpegE6559094-70A1-473D-ABBB-809827D1241C.png6CD4F222-A246-468E-B641-753DFAB87A3E.jpegAC2FF011-5822-43C0-96A9-11A8423854B3.png

What's the issue here, aside from the pisspoor color grading? The cropping is minor. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2019 at 4:34 PM, woj said:

What's the issue here, aside from the pisspoor color grading? The cropping is minor. 

Honestly it doesn't matter if the cropping is considered "minor". I want to watch it as it was originally created and intended. Simple as that. That applies to most everything for me. For example, even if a movie that was originally intended to be widescreen and has a version in full-screen that is open matte (and therefore ADDS, instead of removes picture) I will still want the Widescreen version.

Next they'll want to change the aspect ratios in Grand Budapest Hotel for "consistency". Just leave it alone.

On 11/16/2019 at 6:49 PM, mstrox said:

Wonder if they’re going to do the same for some of the other butchered shows that nobody is raising a stink about like Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers?

5E77EC3D-097B-4213-A611-32F94E9752A0.jpegE6559094-70A1-473D-ABBB-809827D1241C.png

They've gone up the ventilation shaft!

36 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Still waiting on them to add the option to watch the good seasons in their proper 4:3 aspect ratio.  "Early 2020" was the promised release window.  Tick tock tick tock...

Just watch the newer episodes while you're waiting...

video-game-competitions-the-simpsons

On 1/25/2020 at 10:00 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

Just watch the newer episodes while you're waiting...

video-game-competitions-the-simpsons

That's largely what I do. The show switched to 16:9 high-def at S20:E10.

I don't know if it was a streaming issue, but I noticed the Disney+ Simpsons would flip/flop between very crisp-looking (albeit cropped) and like a zoomed-in DVD image with noticeably lower quality. I haven't seen the issue with any other content on the service, so I think it's the source material.

Yes there's some weird aliasing issues on a lot of episodes, it looks horrible. Not sure if it's just an issue with the source material or potentially bad encoding along the way. Surely they could remaster these older episodes if they have the original film elements? 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

It's another "expect to" statement though!  They previously "expected" to have it done in early 2020, so I don't trust it.

May is still first half of the year.

So if they do it, it won't be LATE 2020 at least.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

The Simpsons Renewed For Two More Seasons at Fox

“It’s a sincere pleasure to announce the Season 33 and 34 pick-ups for The Simpsons,” Fox Entertainment CEO Charlie Collier said in a statement. (via Collider). “We keep hoping that, eventually, they’ll get it right. Profound respect for and congratulations to Matt, Jim, Al and the many other wonderful partners working really hard to finally elevate ‘The Tracey Ullman Show.’ As they say, ‘practice makes perfect.’”

I wonder if THE SIMPSONS will ever end?

I haven't really watched that many episodes since the mid 2000s. FAMILY GUY has been the go-to series for me as far as the animated sitcoms are concerned for the last decade and a half.

“It’s a sincere pleasure to announce the Season 33 and 34 pick-ups for The Simpsons,”

No, it really isn't. I don't think I've watched any of it since the movie came out, and even then it felt like it was dying.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes yes yes yes YES!!! This news made my week! 😄😝

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

No, it really isn't. I don't think I've watched any of it since the movie came out, and even then it felt like it was dying.

This is exactly the kind of ignorant opinion you see altogether too often re: the Simpsons: “The show is terrible. I haven’t watched it in years. Why does it keep getting renewed?”

The Simpsons movie came out in 2007. Fourteen years ago. You claim not to have seen any of the show since 2007? Then you know nothing about how well the show has been written since those terrible Mike Scully-as-showrunner years, especially during the 2010s. 

It really frustrates me when people judge something they haven’t seen. Luckily the folks at Disney/Fox know better than to listen to the gaggle.

I still watch on occasion!  It’s not great, but it’s usually still good.  They do the occasional big swing stylistic thing and usually it’s horrible (Great Gatsby rap episode, Thanksgiving trilogy episode) and there’s an occasional bum episode, but it’s a well functioning cartoon joke machine when it’s in its groove.  In the FOX Sunday night lineup, Bob’s Burgers is much better.  Family Guy is of course much worse.

We’ve been watching through on D+ slowly and just got into S3, just finished the one where Homer saved the power plant from meltdown.  It’s been ages, and I forgot how long it took some characters to get into their grooves.  For instance, Flanders is still Homer’s goody-two-shoes neighbor who sometimes has an angry streak, but he still isn’t particularly churchy at all at this point, and doesn’t slip into the doodly doodlies.  Everyone still has rough edges, and I think it was better that way before all the characters found their rut/track in the joke machine.

Couldn't disagree more. FAMILY GUY is probably my alltime favourite animated sitcom, a more entertaining, edgier and "raunchier" version of THE SIMPSONS, which is kinda tame by now. I like BOB'S BURGERS too, but not as much.

Family Guy is pretty hot garbage for me - raunch/edge purely for the sake of it doesn’t particularly appeal to me and I guess that’s why.  I don’t care much for their trademark “reminds me of...(insert random humor)” bits.  I’d prefer for comedy to be somewhat organic to the story and characters.

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Family Guy is incredibly tame when compared to cable TV/streaming shows, like South Park, Rick and Morty, Big Mouth, BoJack Horseman, Paradise P.D., etc.

I don't really care for any of those, except maybe BOJACK a little bit. Some SOUTH PARK back in the day.

I know it's popular to rag on FAMILY GUY, but I don't care. It's superb. Love the tone, humour, pop cultural references, cutaways, everything.