Gruesome Son of a Bitch

Anyone else have the holiday blues or something?

It's nice to be here, but I'm surrounded by the chintz of Christmastime. Big fake imitation Rockefeller Center tree, gaudy lights, tunes being piped in annoyingly on the muzak and the like. The holidays are a time for people with family. Actually, JWFan is my family. But my depression seems to be worse now than ever. I'm surrounded by happy families and children having a great time, but all the while, I feel I'm in the middle of a crowded room screaming at the top of my lungs and no one even looks up. Like Picard in a Nexus Christmas fantasy, surrounded by joy, but unable to partake in it.

As I've grown older I've realised the Christmas season is the biggest corporate swindle in history. It's a time to fork out a fortune, to deck the halls, buy gifts, buy useless things that next year they can sell to you again. There's something artificial about the time that bugs me, and instead of seeming like a celebration of another year, it's a stark reminder of another year gone because the Christmas cracker toys are still floating around from last Christmas that it all feels like it happened yesterday.

For children, I suspect it's wonderful and in my own experience, I loved it as a child, however the repetitive nature of the festive season has grown irritating. Each year I've noticed that stores, businesses, restaurants, schools try and push the season out as much as they can hoping that Christmas begins sooner and ends later. I'm convinced some people want year-long festivities. It's a sad thing that the act of families coming together is hijacked by the corporations, coupled with the fact that we must work all year round and this is the only time some people can afford to take time to see their loved ones; it's a vicious, demeaning cycle. 

I'm not excited for Christmas these last few years, my thoughts are instead aimed towards what I can do in the year that follows...

Time off work, an excuse to eat/drink too much, maybe be a little more charitable than usual, you get and give gifts, hopefully some decent TV ... eh, there are worse things than Christmas. 

Sure, the start of the corporate side of it seems to begin even before Hallowe'en's over but I guess I'm just used to that by now.  

Where I come from Christmas is the time of cooking unusual traditional recipes and then getting together for a fancy home dinner. Everyone gets a small, practical gift that wouldn't be out of place on a name or births day. It's rather chill, and not at all commercial. If there are some decorations in a box in the cellar, they get brought up for a while. It's for people.

I also use the excuse to exchange some updates with otherwise estranged pen friends. Convenient.

What I do and always did feel blue about, is New Year's Eve. Everyone visits their friends---including virtually every generation of my family. And I kind of... have an evening like any other. Maybe eat a piece of cake or something :( Besides, I see nothing cheerful about the passage of time.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

In January thing start to get real depressing

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Fuck yeah!

Oh fuck yeah!

3 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Anyone else remember when they used to show the Star Wars trilogy on telly every Thanksgiving and Christmas?

Oh snap, yeah, I do now! It's how I was first able to watch them as an eight year old!

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:56 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Anyone else remember when they used to show the Star Wars trilogy on telly every Thanksgiving and Christmas?

Thank God I don't. How are these movies even Christmas related?