The Deepfakes thread

Jay

5 hours ago, Bofur01 said:

Well, these guys think Mando Luke is a deep fake.

Tbf, I do see it, it looks nothing like Tarkin or Leia., the smoothness at the edges of the face and the way he never really turns his head do point that way.

And the general stiffness of the face, where one part like the mouth may move but the rest doesn't move with it.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

That's pretty shitty actually. 

Even as a fan of them and their usual work, I have found their deep fakes not great. Yes, I think it brings more life into the face, but the compositing and lighting is still wrong. And yes, it's sharper, but it's almost too sharp. Not to mention (and they do at least acknowledge this) that the costume and wig, even on the second go around, are not the best.

I like the fact that there was more of an emotional range in the clip above, but as far as verisimilitude is concerned, I find it pretty much even to the Disney version. The best version is still that Deepfake version posted earlier (and even that has issues).

It’s interesting to see a proper comparison between an independent attempt and a large corporation under a TV show budget

I think the Corridor Crew did a very good job, but it’s definitely not a complete improvement and it serves as an interesting insight into the development process of ILM. Whereas the original is very photorealistic with stiff movement, CC’s sacrifices photo-realism for a more emotive performance. I think I value the emotion more because it helps me connect better to the character so I would ultimately prefer CC’s.

Seeing the CC one as well with their circumstantial evidence makes me believe that the original is a deep-fake as well, particularly in the first scene of CC’s where it has the same problem of the stiff upper-lip and overall ‘flat’ look

And now thanks to that video I know that VFX companies are looking at integrating the technology, with Disney even putting effort into improving their own branch of deepfakes

Aside from the dead, weirdly blurry eyes, the other main problem with Disney's effort, as is regularly the case with these things, is lighting, or rather the lack of it. There's a distinct lack of contact shadowing on Luke’s face and in the contours of his features, it looks too flat. Every other redo pays more attention to lighting, and it helps to sell the effect a lot. 

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

Aside from the dead, weirdly blurry eyes, the other main problem with Disney's effort, as is regularly the case with these things, is lighting, or rather the lack of it. There's a distinct lack of contact shadowing on Luke’s face and in the contours of his features, it looks too flat. Every other redo pays more attention to lighting, and it helps to sell the effect a lot. 

Aye, CC really emphasising that directional lighting was a good idea to sell the dynamic lighting more than the simplified shadows of the original

I thought this was pretty funny and cool.  I figure all these Presidents are from 150+ years ago so not *too* much risk of breaking the politics rule :lol:

They used deepfake software to reimagine the Presidents up to Grant as if they were Presidents in the modern era.  Open it in a new tab and look through the whole thread, it's neat.

Naturally, John Adams looks like a crotchety mf-er

image.png

And it really drives home what a weird lookin' dude Lincoln was and that someone that looks like him would probably never make it in the modern image obsessed politics

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Quintus said:

One of the best efforts I've seen. Bit wobbly in the last scene, but the first part is near flawless really

Must.. try... not.. to comment again... about the existential threat to society this technology portends...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Speaking of which, I've noticed this app or whatever recently that gives life to ancient people by applying the Deepfake tech to old paintings. There's this one, for example, about baroque composers. I know there are all kinds of dangers, but I can't help but feel it's very cool.