The Official Anime Music Thread

Arpy

Yes, Evangelion's score is iconic, and there's some great stuff in there. I have only listened to the main series soundtrack, but apparently the Rebuild movies expand on some of those themes and bring a few others. The S2 Works album has lots of different variations on many tracks, sometimes presenting just different layers of the same track, but for a listening experience the official releases are definitely better.

Rei's theme is also one of my favorites but I also love THANATOS and all its variations, and another personal favorite is the Anxiety theme, or A4, as it's one of the most effective pieces of music in context! Do you have a list of all the themes and motifs you noticed, to see if I missed any?

Also, I found a while ago these suites on YouTube and they're a pretty great summary of some of the most recognizable themes from the show

Yes here’s a list of what I’ve found so far based on what’s available to me on Apple Music. This is includes every Evangelion album on there by Sagisu. All of these themes recur more than twice because basically every track has at least one reprise. I’ll add some tracks as example later for now I have school:

Rei’s Theme

The Beast Theme

Decisive Battle Theme

Angel Attack Theme

Anxiety Theme

Next Episode Theme

Dilemma Theme

Asuka’s Theme

Tokyo-3 Theme

EVA-01 Theme

EVA-02 Theme

A Step Forward Into Terror

Marking Time, Waiting For Death

A Crystalline Night Sky

Harbinger of Tragedy

Thanatos’ Theme

Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win

Mother Theme

Misato and Kami’s Theme

Q’s Theme

Tema Principale Theme

Empty Stream

Fake Play

Angel of Doom

Lucifer’s Cry

God’s Gift

Instabilite

Also yes that channel is awesome they have tons of super interesting suites of different leitmotifs from films.

That's a lot of themes indeed! I think I already knew most of them, with the exception of those from the Rebuild movies, as I haven't gotten into those yet, but I will certainly do so soon. Thanks!

A vinyl box set of 11 discs (7 albums) of Yoko Kanno's original Cowboy Bebop soundtrack is coming this January.
2 of the 7 albums being the Movie Soundtrack.

image.png

https://helixsounds.com/products/cowboy-bebop-vinyl-box-set-yoko-kanno-11lp

And Milan Records just opened the pre-orders for a double LP and a single LP best of compilation especially curated by Kanno herself, covering all of Cowboy Bebop contents produced so far (Original anime, movie, Concert, Live action adaptation, etc...)

image.png

image.png

https://milanrecords.com/cowboy-bebop-vinyl-pre-order-is-here/

19 hours ago, Arpy said:

Damn Vinyl! What about CD?!

The CDs exist  for the boxset. They might be out of print though
And most of the tracks of the Milan albums are also on already released CD albums.

But sadly, Vinyls are selling more than CDs. In my ideal world, both would exist in harmony.

I do have most of these albums on CD, but for completionists sake, I'd prefer to have these two on CD too!

On 16/11/2023 at 3:56 PM, MaxMovieMan said:

Just started listening to the Neon Genesis Evangelion scores by Shiro Sagisu and managed to listen to it all in under a couple days. Overall the series has great music and a surprising amount of musical themes. Rei’s theme has now become one of my new personal favorites. It’s so mysterious and eery yet also very emotional at the same time.

I was also surprised by the sheer amount of music and albums there are. I was a little overwhelmed but after listening to everything and organizing all the themes I have a great appreciation for the work.

Shiro is great, I didn't discover Evangelion until about a year ago and I instantly fell in love with the world and the music.

One of my favourite albums is Evangelion Infinity which includes almost all of the variations of Decisive Battle, it's amazing how versatile it is and how many musical genres Sagisu puts it through!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

What if HTTYD, LOTR and Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance had a wonderful child?

Might check this one out then (had a bit of MCU-like isekai fatigue for a while).  

Watched s1 of Spy X Family.  Really fun show with a lot of good jokes, I love the first theme song which combines classic spy music with classic family music

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

What if HTTYD, LOTR and Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance had a wonderful child?

Tidal randomly recommended it to me the other day and I love it so much I bought it digitally 2 days later.

7 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Might check this one out then (had a bit of MCU-like isekai fatigue for a while).  

I highly recommend it. I had read a bit of the manga before and loved it; and the anime adaptation is quite outstanding. A very different approach to a familar kind of story.

Frieren's great, both the music and the anime! Charming, heartwarming, epic and memorable. The main theme is beautiful, and Zooltrak is a banger!

The full album comes out when the season is over, sometime in April according to this.

Evan Call is such a great composer, and his work is usually beautiful and emotional, but also epic and exciting when it needs to. I hold a special place in my heart for his Violet Evergarden score, as that was the one I first heard from him!

I recently watched the first two eps of Solo Leveling and Sawano's doing the music. So far, quite similar to his AoT scores, but there's a cue on the second episode which was quite chilling in context, and I feel he will deliver some great tracks for the show, which so far seems to be really interesting.

On 14/01/2024 at 10:57 PM, Muad'Dib said:

On 15/01/2024 at 12:50 AM, Holko said:

Tidal randomly recommended it to me the other day and I love it so much I bought it digitally 2 days later.

On 15/01/2024 at 8:00 AM, Muad'Dib said:

I highly recommend it. I had read a bit of the manga before and loved it; and the anime adaptation is quite outstanding. A very different approach to a familar kind of story.

Thanks gents, I'll check it out on Friday!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I absolutely recommend the whole score for Demon Slayer. It's one of the best anime soundtracks I've heard, because the composer Go Shiina was allowed to score the show with a brand-new piece of music for each scene, in the traditional film scoring way, so he had to create many hours of new music for each season, all tied together by dozens of leitmotifs for each of the many different main characters. It's an astonishing job in my opinion!

Here's the latest released track, from the end credits of the movie that is being released during this month in many countries, which mixes the opening song from S3 with several leitmotifs from across the show! 

Don’t forget Yuki Kajiura too!

Yes, I also appreciate that Demon Slayer is scored to-picture unlike so much anime. I just wish the show was good enough to deserve its score!

Yess, Kajiura has done some great stuff for the show too, even though she only was allowed to shine more in the last season with Mitsuri's theme!

I quite enjoy the show to be honest. It's heavily carried by its animation and soundtrack, but I also really like many of its characters even if the story is a bit simple and predictable at times. But it's definitly worth if only to hear the brilliant score in context.

Just finished watching Kemono Michi.  A beautiful anime about a wrestler who loves animals.  It's one of those anime where the score is almost TOO good to have been written for this show (and idk maybe it was library music, I didn't check).

Good wrestler style OP and I love the dog ED

Watching Mr. Villain's Day Off which is like watching a 3 minute short stretched out to 22 minutes.  It's a testament to the consistent quality of anime music that even a show like this has some pretty good music.  There's a beautiful John Williams-in-heartfelt-mode piano theme that plays after the end credits and a stirring string elegy as his panda melts in the coffee or whatever.

Also watching Restaurant to Another World, which has a poppy pastoral piece for the bassoon and piano that plays after the end credits 

*Edit here the poppy piece 

https://youtu.be/VyslF_SSIXg?si=-1T3DMtUJ0aEfw6R

Technically a video game but it's also an anime I've been playing Persona 4 Golden, which has a fantastic OP and a fun poppy choral chant that plays before you enter the mind palaces

• 4 weeks later...

I love this show so fucking much and I think what I love the most is the music -the songs are great but the orchestral score is so unnecessarily dramatic, I can't help but adore it!

This is straight out of a suspense film:

On 19/03/2024 at 3:56 PM, Muad'Dib said:

I love this show so fucking much and I think what I love the most is the music -the songs are great but the orchestral score is so unnecessarily dramatic, I can't help but adore it!

This is straight out of a suspense film:

That's what I call "Spongebobbing" where shows use their own fully orchestral stock tracks to score silly or mundane things.  Nichijou is my favorite for this type of style 

9 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

I've been watching this show and I really enjoyed the first season, and the soundtrack album was just released!

I've been working my way through Apothecary Diaries too.  Solid show/music 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve never purchased an anime OST new before, but I might get Frieren - for those who know about anime OSTs, will the CD be sold by American retailers like SAE, and will it go out of print quickly?

• 2 weeks later...