The Rise of Skywalker final trailer MUSIC discussion

Jay

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel surprised they used boiler plate stuff. They atleast use Williams themes. But in the first part, it seemed to use a canned ostinato.

And then the following dour theme seemed like the counterpoint melody to the Leia theme used in the first teaser for this film.

7 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Just wait for us to find out the music is a trailerized version of one of Williams' themes...

If that were the case I think we'd all suddenly change our tune and call it "genius". I remember something similar happening with Jedi Steps.

6 minutes ago, King Mark said:

wasn't Jedi steps the real version?

Yes, "Jedi Steps" wasn't significantly altered:

"The Spark," though, was a complete trailer re-arrangement:

Same, I still associate it with the trailer.

5 minutes ago, igger6 said:

I'll bet that unimpressive piano/harp-sounding ostinato thing in the opening is from the score, just heavily changed.  I thought there was no way "The Spark" was real, and look where that got me.

15 minutes ago, igger6 said:

I'll bet that unimpressive piano/harp-sounding ostinato thing in the opening is from the score, just heavily changed.  I thought there was no way "The Spark" was real, and look where that got me.

yeah but it played in a TV commercial (Verizon?)  and I thought it sounded like JW

I doubted Jedi Steps for a long time!

I didn't mind it. It's nice to finally hear a major-key melody in one of these trailers. One more EPIC FORCE THEME track and I would've checked out completely.

Hope this means JW will use the main title theme more in this one. It's definitely time.

8 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

God, I can't believe we got Williams scores for these films. Sometimes it still feels like a dream. You see these trailers, you see how absolutely massive these blockbusters are, but yet they still are getting scored by the man who started it all. They're not being done by some appointed successor. We didn't just get one Williams score and then have the other two finished by somebody else leaving us always wondering what the last two films would sound like had Williams scored them. No. We got the real deal. For all 9. What a gift.

Can't wait to hear what Williams cooks up for some of these shots. Seems like the most inspiring Star Wars film musically for Williams of the three. 

I like to imagine myself telling myself in 2012 or so that this was the trailer for a film that Williams scored and seeing the wonderment on my former face.  

5 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I like to imagine myself telling myself in 2012 or so that this was the trailer for a film that Williams scored and seeing the wonderment on my former face.  

Exactly! This looks to be the most bonkers film Williams has ever scored just in terms of sheer spectacle. 

I guess it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation where they have to have something big - how many times can they churn out some epicTM trailer-grabage version of the main title and Force Theme? It's insulting because there are ample examples of some powerful renditions of those themes in the prior eight scores they could pull from...

51 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

They should have gone for the epic ewok barbecue song!

Makes me think of RedLetterMedia's Rich Evans' wish for Palpatine's Throne to be made of Ewok skulls and bones after they found him on Endor and made an evil Ewok cult :)

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

image.png

This makes me really angry though. The sentiment that Williams doesn't really do anything anymore is something that is echoed even amongst members of professional orchestras and such. How these rumors start, I have no idea.

No, no, this isn't said by people who actually examine the scores closely so they could form an opinion - it's just random rumors that stir up, I think, just to kind of undermine the great musicianship that he has. Because he's, well a commercial film guy, right?

I doubt this instance has anything to do with snobbery, it's just idiots who want to appear authoritative about something they know nothing about.  I reckon that happens alot on the internet, with many different things.  Did you correct this moron, Stu?

29 minutes ago, Dixon Hill said:

Did you correct this moron, Stu?

Not worth it.  If I told him that Williams literally writes the short scores out by hand, it wouldn't mean anything to him.  These are the people who, when they find out that *gasp* someone else expands the short scores out into engraved scores/parts, their takeaway is that those people are ghostwriters.

But someone else feel free!  Here's the direct link to the post

29 minutes ago, Dixon Hill said:

Did you correct this moron, Stu?

Alternate response:

corrrrrrected them

FN6CLd2.gif

*Williams leading the first reunions for his new Star Wars score*

"Alright, let's see. Bill, you handle the smaller, intimate scenes".

"All right, boss".

"Michael, you handle the villain scenes, and please, don't add unnecessary choir every time Kylo is on the screen".

"Got it, chief".

"Joel, can you write the big battle scenes, please?"

"Way ahead of you boss, already scored and orchestrated half of the final battle sequence".

"Great! So, I'll write the end titles suite and some concert arrangements for the soundtrack album". 

(Bill gets up his chair)

"Don't worry about that, boss, I can do the end titles".

"Excellent! More free time for me to watch Downton Abbey. Great job, everyone!"

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I liked the inspirational Christian Rock rendition of the main theme.

Sounded a key or two too high though.  The trumpets got much higher than usual

Yeah it’s the thing that annoys me the most, these sampled trumpets going to a high E all the time while you can never write like that.

Maybe trailer music is like cilantro.  To some people cilantro makes almost any dish more delicious, to others it tastes like soap.  I find modern trailer music inherently unpleasant, but hey what do I know.  It's just an advertisement anyway.

Yea it doesn't bother me if the trailer music is good or bad, but with these Star Wars trailers it's certainly worth giving a close listen since he wrote music directly for TFA teasers and TLJ trailers reworked original material

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

TLJ trailers reworked original material

I'm interested in how this came about.  Were the trailer house composers given access to session recordings?  Maybe the producers liked that cue and sent just that one cue to the trailer people saying "use this."  Was there ever an interview with them about it?