The Rise of Skywalker final trailer MUSIC discussion

Jay

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm interested in how this came about.  Were the trailer house composers given access to session recordings?  Maybe the producers liked that cue and sent just that one cue to the trailer people saying "use this."  Was there ever an interview with them about it?

Actually I’d like to know more about this also. I find it hard to believe even trailer house composers would have access to the score given how Disney seems to be so secretive. But hey, it could be JJ asking for Jedi steps to be used or whoever has enough power to ask this.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

unintentionally funny tweets!  gotta love em!

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

This guy wrote the trailer music is on Twitter btw 

So ask him! 

I don't have a Twitter account anymore so ask him for us!  Did he do the TLJ final trailer as well?

The trailer music 'worked' okay in terms of giving a sense of epic-ness (in my opinion), but I don't find it amazing like a lot of general public does. What do people find so appealing about this kind of epic-anthem type of music? 

I remember seeing people online saying how disappointing it was that Williams didn't put the awesome epic trailer music in the movie itself. :blink:

2 hours ago, toothless said:

Actually I’d like to know more about this also. I find it hard to believe even trailer house composers would have access to the score given how Disney seems to be so secretive. But hey, it could be JJ asking for Jedi steps to be used or whoever has enough power to ask this.

Does Lucasfilm have someone in-house cutting the trailers or are those outsourced to editors as well? Because they're obviously giving chunks of the movie to those lucky people too. Just NDA's and all that. I'm sure it's all hilariously covert.

2 hours ago, MrJosh said:

The trailer music 'worked' okay in terms of giving a sense of epic-ness (in my opinion), but I don't find it amazing like a lot of general public does. What do people find so appealing about this kind of epic-anthem type of music? 

I dunno, it all feels fake to me, just surface-level manipulation with no real sentiment behind it all. It’s ironic though, that the same people who cream their pants over this stuff will hear a traditional JW score and complain, “ahhh these orchestra songs are manipulating meeeee.”

1 hour ago, Montre said:

I lost brain cells reading those reddit comments.

And the posters lost brain cells posting them.

Then again, there was not much brain to start with.

2 hours ago, MrJosh said:

I remember seeing people online saying how disappointing it was that Williams didn't put the awesome epic trailer music in the movie itself. :blink:

I just listened to the isolated version (haven't watched the trailer itself) and rather liked the music.

What's so appealing? It's got a nice rhythm, melody and... I just like it.

Just now, lemoncurd said:

wow, this really tells something about the way trailer music is being produced these days. He doesn't even know which other composers contributed to it? 

Blech

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

unintentionally funny tweets!  gotta love em!

Praising John Williams, but not recognising it's not his work. I mean, it sounds so clearly synthesised and processed that it's incongruent with anything JW has written.

6 hours ago, MrJosh said:

Believe me, this happens for most scores - just take a look at amazon reviews for a soundtrack album, giving it one star for not including the trailer music! I think people legitimately don't give two fucks about the score, but the epic music they heard in the trailer.

The trailer music is fine as trailer music.  It just seems bad when they could have gone with new music from IX, given that the most of it has been recorded for a while.  But, genres are genres, and typical movie-goers like the now-typical trailer soundscape.  

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Does Lucasfilm have someone in-house cutting the trailers or are those outsourced to editors as well? Because they're obviously giving chunks of the movie to those lucky people too. Just NDA's and all that. I'm sure it's all hilariously covert.

I do remember reading during the lead up to TFA that whoever cuts the trailers (can't remember who) gets shots from the movie completely out of order, and is basically told "make something cool out of this." That prevents plot leaks and also results in more exciting, visceral trailers that don't focus on explaining storylines, since the people cutting the trailer don't even know the plot. 

That Reddit must have some policy against new posters or something because my response to that idiocy from this morning is still only visible to me when logged into the account I specifically made to post it.  Guess they're fine with that kind of amateurish dilettante crap but god forbid they don't filter out posts from new accounts.  Anyway it looks like a few of you cleaned up nicely there anyway.  Also Blake Robinson is a stand up guy but trailer music is what it is.

51 minutes ago, Dixon Hill said:

That Reddit must have some policy against new posters or something because my response to that idiocy from this morning is still only visible to me when logged into the account I specifically made to post it.  Guess they're fine with that kind of amateurish dilettante crap but god forbid they don't filter out posts from new accounts.  Anyway it looks like a few of you cleaned up nicely there anyway.  Also Blake Robinson is a stand up guy but trailer music is what it is.

Darn, I would have liked to have seen some classic TGP bullshit nullification action. I appreciate your efforts regardless, even if I can't see them. 

Personally. Didn't care for the music in the first half, but during the second half...Idk...I couldn't help but feel it. I dug it. 

Hearing all the negativity though, I'm curious, and I'm not trying to be hostile...what would you guys here have wanted tracked in from the other 8 films / how could the trailer house have composed it better? I know we have talented composers here and i'd be curious to hear what some might come up with.

4 minutes ago, The Five Tones said:

I loved the trailer and was genuinely moved by it, despite the music which was possibly the biggest disappointment of these farmed out tag team scores yet. That final treatment of the main title is just wrong on levels - if you want a theme accompanied by this well-worn variation of the four-chord pop progression ("6-4-1-5") e.g. from "Zombie," "Poker Face," "Bailando" or "Building a Mystery" (lol) then write that theme. Don't ruin JW's.

Why though? What's wrong with it? It's just a trailer. It's not like this will appear in this manner in the actual film. Although, if it does (but recorded by Williams) I will laugh my ass off, out loud, in the theater.

There is nothing objectively wrong with it, but it's not consistent with the style of the saga. It's throwaway lowest common denominator writing. Save it for the anthologies and spinoffs. I don't think it matters that it's only a trailer - it sets up a style fatigue that can carry over to the film. And in terms of keeping the saga differentiated from Marvel and everything else, rather than just competitive which is a losing battle, it's not there.

48 minutes ago, The Five Tones said:

I loved the trailer and was genuinely moved by it, despite the music which was possibly the biggest disappointment of these farmed out tag team scores yet. That final treatment of the main title is just wrong on levels - if you want a theme accompanied by this well-worn variation of the four-chord pop progression ("6-4-1-5") e.g. from "Zombie," "Poker Face," "Bailando" or "Building a Mystery" (lol) then write that theme. Don't ruin JW's.

In your heeead, in your heeeaaad, Jedi, Jedi, Jedi-i-iii 

:rock2:

40 minutes ago, The Five Tones said:

There is nothing objectively wrong with it, but it's not consistent with the style of the saga. It's throwaway lowest common denominator writing. Save it for the anthologies and spinoffs. I don't think it matters that it's only a trailer - it sets up a style fatigue that can carry over to the film. And in terms of keeping the saga differentiated from Marvel and everything else, rather than just competitive which is a losing battle, it's not there.

Have you seen almost all movie trailers today? Hardly any of them accurately represent their films anymore. Almost all trailers follow a formula. Star Wars has never been an exception to this really.

On 10/22/2019 at 6:08 PM, Disco Stu said:

Maybe trailer music is like cilantro.  To some people cilantro makes almost any dish more delicious, to others it tastes like soap.

Are you saying not being able to distinguish bland trailer music from John Williams masterpieces is a genetic thing?

I wish we could just go back to plastering Dragonheart over each and every trailer.

15 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Are you saying not being able to distinguish bland trailer music from John Williams masterpieces is a genetic thing?

Not at all, I'm not talking about the ones who don't know the difference.  I'm talking about the ones who love and know John Williams music, but also enjoy trailer type music.  There are many!  Just not me.

46 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Star Wars has never been an exception to this really.

Star Wars is the exception to everything.

I just emailed a local film writer (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) who had erroneously written "John Williams' score" in an article about the trailer and got him to amend to "reworked themes." That's only one small but potentially influential example of how the brand (for want of a better concept) isn't served by an on-trend approach in this case. This trailer might as well have used Giacchino's Luke's theme knockoff from Rogue One, as it uses the same four chords... at least it was a different theme and a clear spinoff. At the end of the day, the music just didn't do it for me... I thought TFA #2 was much better and still clearly trailer music, but with authentic material.

25 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Not at all, I'm not talking about the ones who don't know the difference.  I'm talking about the ones who love and know John Williams music, but also enjoy trailer type music.  There are many!  Just not me.

Well, in any case, cilantro is awesome and makes almost any dish more delicious.

25 minutes ago, The Five Tones said:

Star Wars is the exception to everything.

I just emailed a local film writer (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) who had erroneously written "John Williams' score" in an article about the trailer and got him to amend to "reworked themes." That's only one small but potentially influential example of how the brand (for want of a better concept) isn't served by an on-trend approach in this case. This trailer might as well have used Giacchino's Luke's theme knockoff from Rogue One, as it uses the same four chords... at least it was a different theme and a clear spinoff. At the end of the day, the music just didn't do it for me... I thought TFA #2 was much better and still clearly trailer music, but with authentic material.

I appreciate your passion for the series. I'll just leave it at that. Star Wars as a series has never really stood out to me and nor have their trailers, but I am quite glad it has for you and a lot of other people.

The music of the series, however, does stand out and is something I will always cherish. Not to the extent that I have an issue with someone doing a cool rendition of the theme for a silly movie trailer though. I used to try and figure out what trailers could mean for a film, but in the last decade all trailers have gone so downhill that there's no way to know how a movie is going to turn out until I see it.

I can only think of one single trailer I saw this year that legitimately impressed me. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

This reminded me of this great fake trailer:

Ironically, the cover of You Spin me Round the used here as an example of generic trailer music is better than most trailer music, lol.

Precisely. Honestly it's quite amazing just how many Blockbuster and other trailers fall into this exact pattern. Even some of the recent Star Wars trailers follow this formula to an extent.