Potential Rise of Skywalker music in Bell Canada commercials

rpvee

It sounds Williams-y, but I don’t recognize the sound qualities of the LA orchestra and the Sony stage. I’d love to be proven wrong, though.

Not to throw any bones around, but during either The Last Jedi or The Force Awakens marketing onslaught Bell Canada aired a pair of ads that actually did use Williams' music from the original trilogy (and not just the regular stuff too). I believe it was from Detention Block Ambush, that triumphant fanfare.

The point is that they have used Williams' music before as opposed to just reverting to generic ad music so it's not out of the question, but I refuse to comment further until I find my headphones here. I do doubt they'd get their hands on something new though.

I also doubt the filmakers have let music from the recording sessions out to the marketing dept either; new score isn't needed to promote this film or its tie in products.  But you never know.

My first thought was Giacchino's Spider-Man theme ha

Do we have a tally of how many times we've actually heard new Williams pre-release, outside of obvious clips and music promos/featurettes? I remember Jedi Steps in the ABC TV spot, trailerized The Spark in the final Last Jedi trailer, Galaxy's Edge in the Coke commercial. Is there anything else?

Holy smokes! I couldn't place it but I knew the theme sounded somehow familiar. It is a new play on Rose's Theme! I can easily see her piloting a ship into the final battle alongside Lando, which sounds exactly like the type of scene this cue could accompany.

As mentioned, it seems highly unlikely a trailer music company would draw upon that theme for marketing material without being totally overt with it (especially stuff that sounds this close a real orchestra and JW's style of writing in the two scores thus far).

More and more convinced it's from TROS now. 

WOAH - I hadn't noticed Rose's theme at all but it does indeed appear to be a (somewhat disguised) variation of that theme! (I already thought this was JW, but I suppose this is even more evidence in favor!!) :woop:

Look what I found! There's a French version of the same ad with slightly cleaner music in parts. Is it possible to phase the two versions together and extract a clean music track? @Chewy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxO3nTn7PnI

Nice! In that one, you can clearly hear a more unadulterated statement of Rose's theme in the flutes in the background, with the repeated variation in the brass rising to take over from the flutes on the last part of the line. Great stuff.

4 minutes ago, aviazn said:

Nice! In that one, you can clearly hear a more unadulterated statement of Rose's theme in the flutes in the background, with the repeated variation in the brass rising to take over from the flutes on the last part of the line. Great stuff.

Wow, you can too! Brass and flutes running the same theme in counterpoint (and different keys?)... not exactly what I'd expect from a trailer music house. It's gotta be JW!

I’m so glad this might be something!! :o

Every morning, once I wake up, I check my usual websites to see what’s new in the world, including the Star Wars Leaks subreddit, which is a great source for Star Wars news generally. Someone had posted this ad, but no one seemed to be noting the rather Williams-esque music, so I rushed right over here to get some other opinions! :) 

4 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Every morning, once I wake up, I check my usual websites to see what’s new in the world, including the Star Wars Leaks subreddit, which is a great source for Star Wars news generally. Someone had posted this ad, but no one seemed to be noting the rather Williams-esque music, so I rushed right over here to get some other opinions! :) 

And amusingly these videos have been online for a week and we're only just discovering them now! :lol:

23 hours ago, Chewy said:

Tried to isolate the music. I personally don't think it's Williams.

0:14 to 0:20  reminded me a bit of The Quidditch Match:

And the ending is very much Williams 90s action music, from JP onwards.

I liked it.