Alexandre Desplat's LITTLE WOMEN (2019)

Jay

• 1 month later...

Don't bother, Edmilson, everyone lives in the Desplat's Black Widow thread. They say they aren't Marvelites, but action speaks louder than words. 

@Alexcremers go for 'Adults in the Room' and 'J'Accuse' before LW, both are better. I deleted most of the gooey stuff from my playlist, because it's just AD i have heard a thousand times before, but the animated scherzo-like stuff is pretty good:

image.png

The score is sweet and occasionally Newman-esque, but very much in Desplat's comfort zone. "Dance on the Porch" was my main takeaway. 

I would recommend it but then again I'd recommend any Desplat score ;)

It's one of his better ones in this genre though, seems like he did find inspiration in this film.

On 1/18/2020 at 3:09 PM, KK said:

The score is sweet and occasionally Newman-esque, but very much in Desplat's comfort zone. "Dance on the Porch" was my main takeaway. 

I like that track a lot too, but it didn't made it to the movie, the director used Dvorak String Quartet 12 instead. The scene in question didn't worked very well, so they probably tried to change the only thing they could - the music.

I'm actually pretty found of this score, after a few listens, it's too long but it has a good 30/40 minutes of pretty good stuff. 

Having just seen this rather amazing film, I must admit I did not think Desplat’s score was particularly effective.  If every other aspect of the film wasn’t so spectacular Desplat might have actually detracted from it.  As it is, it was merely a minor annoyance at times.  Almost every choice he made struck me as wrong for both the characters and especially the setting.  I’ve really enjoyed Desplat in the past, but this sort of borderless, dishwater gray, non-specific Euro-pap was so wrong for this special movie.

I saw the film last night, I thought the score was mixed fairly loudly in the film, almost too loud. It’s nice enough, very fluffy, and I can appreciated the classical orchestrations.

The score worked fine in the film, but didn't give me much desire to listen to it on its own. It didn't really try to do anything unexpected or establish its own personality. It mostly stayed out of the way. This seems to be a mode of Desplat's that he uses for a lot of his Oscar bait scores in particular.

Yes. He gets nominated by association. There are about 8 best picture nominees and about 4 or them make it to Best Score. So basically if you score a best picture nominee, you roughly have a 50% chance of getting a best score nominations. So Desplat just picks these films and lands an easy nomination regardless of the actual quality of his music.

I saw the film this morning. Fairly middle-of-the-road. Has some good things, some bad things. Alas, Desplat's music is among the bad things. Why must he ALWAYS score movies with those whimsical ostinati that go nowhere fast?

29 minutes ago, Thor said:

I saw the film this morning. Fairly middle-of-the-road. Has some good things, some bad things. Alas, Desplat's music is among the bad things. Why must he ALWAYS score movies with those whimsical ostinati that go nowhere fast?

Likely because the director asked him to. I agree though - what little I heard of the score went nowhere.

It makes me happy that this wonderful movie will cross $100 million at the domestic box office over the next couple of weeks.  It’s the rare literary adaptation that accomplishes that feat, and this one completely deserves it.  This was Gerwig’s big shot after Lady Bird (moving from indie A24 to big boy Sony) and she knocked it out of the park.

https://m.the-numbers.com/movie/Little-Women-(2019)#tab=box-office