Morricone Concert Music

I read his new book recently, and had bought a collection of discs that had his older concert music on it. But over his career he has written quite a bit, but recordings of any of it are very difficult to find. Wondering if anyone knows where it can be found, if it all. Especially the concerto for guitar and marimba, and the most recent one for trombones and organ. Thanks!

On 11/22/2019 at 3:47 AM, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

I read his new book recently, and had bought a collection of discs that had his older concert music on it. But over his career he has written quite a bit, but recordings of any of it are very difficult to find. Wondering if anyone knows where it can be found, if it all. Especially the concerto for guitar and marimba, and the most recent one for trombones and organ. Thanks!

The concerto for guitar and marimba is on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrzNQti2rxc 

There are also a few other things. If you are interested in his dodecaphonic side, here is his extremely dramatic rendition of "Se questo è un uomo", for strings, solo violin, soprano, and a speaker (based on a poem by Primo Levi, a Holocaust survivor):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oetbAnjmDXE

Another piece that I find interesting is the set of three pieces for children voices titled "Il silenzio, il gioco, la memoria": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f14ExkmxlM 

The first one is a hommage to John Cage: it is based on various versions of the sequence of notes C - A - G - E, sometimes unaltered, sometimes with accidentals. For example, the final chord is formed by the notes C flat, A, G flat, E. I especially like the second piece, starting at 7:17, where he evokes the atmosphere of a group of children playing, and incorporates a sort of canon for 25 individual voices to create an "organized noise" (this section starts at 8:42). The third piece starts at 11:30.

There are other pieces on youtube, but not many. It would be nice to have more recordings of his concert works...

Alas, I was never able to get into his concert work (or, in fact, his more experimental and dissonant affairs in general). I like him more when he's either doing straight-up romanticism, or -- which is more often the case -- undermining this romanticism with oddball 'alienation' effects throughout a melodic track. But maybe some day, I'll warm to this particular side of his music.

On 11/24/2019 at 9:33 AM, Muad'Dib said:

This one's totally badass, especially from 1:24 onwards...

Wish there was a proper professional recording. Would make for a killer piece on film!

This was unknown to me - thanks for posting.