The Rise of Skywalker - Final day of recording sessions

Smaug The Iron

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

So 6 months of scoring sessions, 9 months of writings. 42 years in the making. Congratulations Maestro!

Let's hope Disney are filming the occasion to within an inch of its life and release a celebratory video.

How cool would it be if Daisy, George, Ford, Hamill, Rian, Kennedy etc. all attended the final day?

My anticipation is already sky-high, but that statement just increased even more.

We already got the featurettes for Episode VIII: The Force Awakens and Episode VIII: The Last Jedi ("John Williams: The Seventh Symphony" and "Scoring The Last Jedi: A 360 VR Experience"). There will definitely be a featurette on the Maestro scoring Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker to be included in the home video release; no doubt in my mind.

That would be really cool!

15 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Reality: A 16 seconds insert on a very minor cue comprised mostly of suspenseful strings that won't even be audible on the movie that JW had to write on the last few days as Abrams kept changing the edit.

Basically this, if the JKMS photos of the sheet music are any indication. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

An epic suite covering all the major themes of the nine movies.

I doubt he’d do anything like this in a single medley, but I do wonder if he’ll publish a Signature Edition suite for the whole saga.

Although my guess is it’d just be, like, “Across the Stars” and “Rey’s Theme” added to the existing OT suite, but it’d be cool for there to be a Williams-arranged suite repping all three trilogies that could become a pops standard.

End of the day, the “Main Title” piece will always be performed. It’s a nice thought.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

I love that Steven attended! Seems like they definitely made it a celebration. Really hope George, etc. got to attend as well. 

It looks like the ScoringSessions folks were there today, so hopefully everything was well-documented!

Does this mean we might finally get an Amazon placeholder for the soundtrack in the next few days?? (Not that the two things are remotely related, but seriously, why can’t we preorder the OST already?)

52 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Why does it say 'what might be the final day'? Is there a chance it's still not over?

It's probably just a tongue in cheek reference to the seemingly endless sessions for new revisions and inserts. 

Or they just weren’t 100% sure it was the last day at the time they tweeted but that’s what they were hearing. They’re obviously well-informed but they have more access to some scores than others and who knows exactly how deep their sources go on Star Wars.

But I think the pics are clear this was it. He’s done!!!! Ugh can’t believe it.

Some guy on reddit says he was part of the sessions. Anyone with a reddit account should message him and see if they can get any goss on the score. Even if it's just a casual question like how the score compares to TFA/TLJ. Or if that Anthony Daniels music is legit new material from TROS. 

22 hours ago, crumbs said:

Some guy on reddit says he was part of the sessions. Anyone with a reddit account should message him and see if they can get any goss on the score. Even if it's just a casual question like how the score compares to TFA/TLJ. Or if that Anthony Daniels music is legit new material from TROS. 

Ouuuups, we forgot to push on the recording button, might comeback next week for another sessions :)

12 hours ago, King Mark said:

it's kind of sad in  a way. Looks like the last time he records SW music

Just as he did in 1983 and then again in 2005. ;)

Speaking of recording sessions ending and such, isn't it weird we're less than a month away from the film's release and there is still no word on the soundtrack release? Both TFA and TLJ were announced and available to pre-order in September.

Karol

From someone who claims to have attended the sessions:

The stuff I heard/performed was fantastic! I (thankfully) have no idea what scenes the cues were for, since we had no visuals (I didn’t want anything to be spoiled!). I really wish I could talk more about it, but NDAs, etc.

I didn’t a sense of the score as a whole, but what I heard was great, naturally. A lot of recognizable themes, some transformed in interesting ways. I’m really looking forward to the film and didn’t want to see anything spoiler-y for myself, let alone others. :)

He told the horns to play a little softer, but said he didn’t want to “dampen their enthusiasm.” It got some laughs. He’s such a consummate pro and class act.

I honestly just tried to soak up every second of it. He and his music are a treasure.

[The music is] fantastic! As someone once told me, “There’s John Williams, and then there’s everyone else.”

From that Reddit thread above.