The Rise of Skywalker - Disney Records OST

Jay

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

What a ludicrous statement. In what way would Disney be a runner-up?  There must be a thousand corporations doing more actual harm to people.  A company like Dow Chemicals would surely come before them.  What actual harm has Disney done to anyone?  Withholding movies from repertory theaters, or not paying theme park employees as much as they should, is not the same as poisoning water supplies.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Or any of the corporations making billions digging up finite resources to burn for fuel.

The disproportionate, cult-like obsession people have with Disney and the "harm" they're causing to society is indeed perplexing, if you have any grasp of reality and the harm some companies are actually causing to our planet.

Oooh, "woke Disney" and their evil social engineering, infecting Star Wars with radical ideas like, "enslaving and abusing animals is bad." Those monsters!

Allow me to sheepishly walk back my post— since it’s quite true Disney isn’t in the same league of true destruction or deceit as those companies. But in the entertainment industry, Disney is behaving increasingly monopolistic and that’s guaranteed to get worse before it gets better. I’m kind of surprised the DOJ allowed them to take over 20thCF. 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Gah just over two weeks until new John Williams music *internal scream”

It will definitely leak a few days early!  ...if you're into that sorta thing....

The TFA OST didn't leak early, did it?  I have a vague memory of waking up on release day and listening to it for the first time via Spotify.

I remember TLJ leaked early, but don't remember if it was a true "leak", or just arriving when it became midnight in AU/NZ like always, which is like 8-9ish in the morning on Thursday my time

TFA leaked on Tuesday of the week leading up to the release because Amazon accidentally put it up for people who had preordered it digital. If I recall correctly, it didn’t have any track names with it, but those had already leaked separately. 

I remember because I was already intimately familiar with all the themes going into my screening on Friday ;)

TLJ leaked Wednesday.

Ah yes I remember all that now

And there was also a picture posted of one of the two OSTs, I forget if it was TFA or TLJ, at like a pressing plant or backroom or something, too, but I don't think that was related to a leak of any audio

I think that’s how the track list for TLJ got leaked. I have a vague memory of seeing pics of the digipak opened up with the track list visible, and no one believed Williams would name the last track “Finale”.

I remember now, one of the people who legally received the OST early from the Amazon mp3 screwup actually had a JWFan account and kicked off the discussion of it

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25881-the-force-awakens-album-discussion-no-film-spoilers/

Here's something else interesting, in 2015, we got the tracklist for the TFA OST on November 26th!

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25617-the-force-awakens-disney-records-ost/page/16/&tab=comments#comment-1192305

For TLJ in 2017, we got the track TITLES and pics of the physical OST on December 6th: 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28049-the-last-jedi-ost-album-track-list-revealed-temporary-thread/

Then we got the track LENGTHS on December 7th:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27689-the-last-jedi-disney-records-ost/&do=findComment&comment=1426012

And then another existing JWFan member got it early LEGALLY - he walked into the Epcot theme park and bought it on December 11th!

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27689-the-last-jedi-disney-records-ost/&do=findComment&comment=1428706

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Good work @crumbs !!!  :D 

That thread is great. Can you imagine if some of JW’s original cue titles had made it? That Lady with the Stick lol. 

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ah, the First Order March that never was. They say there are still those who cling to a tiny glimmer of hope, that the march will come. 

Yeah, TLJ indeed leaked on the Wednesday before the movie's premiere. As soon as it appeared on that site dedicated to the iconic Japanese RPG series, I downloaded it. Then I listened to it for the first time on Wednesday December 13, 2017 (one day before the movie premiere here) and then a second time on Saturday, Dec 16, before watching the movie on Dec 17.

I listened to it... many times before seeing the film. As many as could reasonably be done when factoring for work and sleep.  Then, I felt like I wish I hadn’t known about the Luke and Leia appearance. Think I’ll go blind this time.

After seeing TLJ without hearing the score first, I couldn't imagine doing it any other way. Having that theme's appearance spoiled by The Spark would have completely ruined one of the film's best surprises. Ditto the Yoda theme earlier on. 

I haven't listened to any of the scores before watching the films. That's the best experience in my opinion. I watch the film, hearing a bunch of music I've never heard before, trying to keep track of the new themes, and trying to guess what will and won't be on the soundtrack when I listen to it the next day.

Knowing about the Yoda theme didn’t really ruin anything for me, but maybe that’s because my attachment to that theme is not so strong. It wasn’t even about having plot details spoiled. My attachment to the Luke and Leia theme is so strong; I think it’s one of Williams’ best. I think I would have sobbed in that theater had I not known, hearing a new rendition of that theme for the first time in decades, as sober and lovely as it was.

My thought in listening first has been so I won’t be as disappointed by the cues not on album as I would be trying to hunt down my favorite moments heard in the film after the fact.

I admire you guys for waiting to watch the movie before listening to the score, I really do. But I can't do it, I simply can't. As soon as I see a new score that I'm eagerly waiting to listen, I don't wait, I listen to it as soon as possible.

Of course, when I don't care about the score or the composer, I watch the movie first, and then I decide if I want to listen to the score or not. But on this case, I wouldn't be able to.

On TLJ's case, I was expecting that Luke and Leia would meet at some point anyway, so I wasn't so surprise by the appearance of their theme on The Spark. Much more "infuriating", so to speak, was Yoda's theme on The Sacred Jedi Texts.

20 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

You posting that was so surreal. 

I remember pulling out an old external CD-ROM drive just so I could rip the soundtrack to an old laptop that WASN'T hooked up to the internet. I then shared it with a few people here, one of whom shared it on a popular "shrine" and those people were like, "...where are the tags?" There were none because I never added them. THAT was surreal, hahah.

I may swing by Epcot when the time comes to pick up my copy of ROS, just for old time's sake.

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I admire you guys for waiting to watch the movie before listening to the score, I really do. But I can't do it, I simply can't. As soon as I see a new score that I'm eagerly waiting to listen, I don't wait, I listen to it as soon as possible.

I want to be like everyone else, but I am just like you. I cannot wait. 

6 hours ago, AzOutcast said:

That was me who picked up TLJ at Epcot! And only because someone here posted that SOMEONE ELSE on another forum got it early at Epcot (which, of course, is always how these things go). I remember driving over to Epcot after work one day and getting there about 20 minutes before closing, thinking I was a complete freaking idiot...until I saw it on the shelf. That was an exciting drive home. :)

I remember this day so well! I burnt it to a CD straight away, threw it in the Hi-Fi, boosted the volume to 11, sat there and I laughed, cheered and cried. 

I listened to TPM before the movie, but since that point, I've intentionally not listened to scores until after I see the movie.  Easy enough to do for me, since I'll receive the album in the mail on Friday night and see the movie the next morning.

I like to listen to the first four tracks of the soundtrack when it drops at midnight on streaming services (yes.. streaming services...) and then go and watch the film that day. Going to a midnight showing of TROS this year though so I suppose doing both at the same time!!

34 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

You sit on the theater and, instead of watching the trailers and annoying advertisement, you just put your headphones and listen to Williams' score until the movie actually begins!

I've definitely done something like this before when going to the movies by myself.

15 hours ago, Alex said:

Has this appeared for pre-order on U.K. ITunes yet for anyone? 

I just booked my ticket for the 19th, so will be going in cold!

Nah