First clip from Rise of Skywalker - New music!

mrbellamy

On 11/25/2019 at 3:39 PM, crumbs said:

those thrilling strings once the troopers take flight.

Reminds me of Nicholas Hooper cue for when Belatrix fries a whole corn field probably to make popcorn in HBP. Although it’s way higher notes in hooper cue. 

5 hours ago, Bounty95 said:

Am I deaf? When exactly do you hear Holdo's theme in this track? I feel stupid right now, but the only theme I can hear is the resistance march 😅

I don’t hear it either. Time stamp?

I’ve listened to the music in this clip a few dozen times already and I think it’s great action music. However, I feel like either Williams is holding back a bit or maybe the music is mixed too low for my tastes. Granted this only 30 seconds but I miss the days when Williams would ”over score” simple scenes such as To The Plaza, Presto. It’s a silly chase scene through the streets of NYC but Williams music makes it rather exciting. Even when Kevin stops to buy necklaces during the chase, Williams keeps the music at a 10 and doesn’t hold back. In the TROS clip, the music gets lost at points and I struggle to hear any details but maybe it just can’t compete with loud SFX. Regardless, I’m hoping to hear this piece in full on the OST.

That's far more inspired Mickey Mouse scoring similar to Hook and Indiana Jones 2, loaded to the brim with musical hit points for onscreen occurrences, extremely varied and exciting. Even if it gets to be a bit much, it's at least entertaining. The new Star Wars scores really aren't like that at all. It just sounds like a lot of comparatively boring meandering stuff with the same old whirling strings, woodwinds and random brass. 

I'm sure the JWFans and music theorists will tear me a new asshole, but I'd rather listen to his older shit than this same old tired random autopilot shit he's been doing since the 2000s.

He's not really obligated to do great scores for these things. I'm not saying 'he's an old dude, it's cool he's still doing this!' implies the work is exempt from criticism, but I figure those are the proper expectations when one wants to take an interest in these scores. I'm not interested, but I often enjoy reading the enthusiasm here, or reading folks discussing and analyzing the thematic material, etc. 

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

That's far more inspired Mickey Mouse scoring similar to Hook and Indiana Jones 2, loaded to the brim with musical hit points for onscreen occurrences, extremely varied and exciting. Even if it gets to be a bit much, it's at least entertaining. The new Star Wars scores really aren't like that at all. It just sounds like a lot of comparatively boring meandering stuff with the same old whirling strings, woodwinds and random brass. 

I'm sure the JWFans and music theorists will tear me a new asshole, but I'd rather listen to his older shit than this same old tired random autopilot shit he's been doing since the 2000s.

So go and listen to that shit you want and stop criticizing the shit we love so much. 

5 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

That's far more inspired Mickey Mouse scoring similar to Hook and Indiana Jones 2, loaded to the brim with musical hit points for onscreen occurrences, extremely varied and exciting.

TOD, Hook and HA2 are 10/10 scores, you can't fairly compare them to his current output ;)

5 hours ago, Balahkay said:

I’ve listened to the music in this clip a few dozen times already and I think it’s great action music. However, I feel like either Williams is holding back a bit or maybe the music is mixed too low for my tastes. Granted this only 30 seconds but I miss the days when Williams would ”over score” simple scenes such as To The Plaza, Presto. It’s a silly chase scene through the streets of NYC but Williams music makes it rather exciting. Even when Kevin stops to buy necklaces during the chase, Williams keeps the music at a 10 and doesn’t hold back. In the TROS clip, the music gets lost at points and I struggle to hear any details but maybe it just can’t compete with loud SFX. Regardless, I’m hoping to hear this piece in full on the OST.

There’s a lot less sfx in this clip than in these Star Wars action scenes. Why compare them? Williams still ‘overscores’ and many action sequences have their own little thematic (or more motivic) elements (Falcon, Battle of Crait, Fathiers etc.). I think many are just sustained by the emotional attachment and nostalgia they have for these old scores and are unable to find a connection to these newer scores.

Anyway, as someone said, it’s ridiculous to form any sort of real judgement on the music based on this 30 seconds clip. 

You just have to contend with the fact the sound design is considered more important than the music in action scenes because all I ever hear people care about was how great a film sounds, how big and loud the explosions are and how the place rumbled. Your everyday audience member isn't going to remember a single note of the score.

On 11/25/2019 at 7:40 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

Really surprised to see so many people saying it's Williams. Sounds close but I'm gonna have to go with "not Williams" on this one. Really good impersonation though! Probably library music. Brass are clearly samples. I work with samples on a daily basis, 32 hours a day, 9 days a week, so I know what I'm talking about when I say this isn't a real orchestra. If this ends up being Williams, I'll eat my hat. Might be leftover music from the Verizon commercial. I know Williams and this ain't him.

/s

And I say you are wrong on both accounts. It's real and it's Williams.

I hope you have some good sauce for that hat.

4 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Substitute "the 2000s" with "2008" and we're more or less on the same page here.

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

You just have to contend with the fact the sound design is considered more important than the music in action scenes because all I ever hear people care about was how great a film sounds, how big and loud the explosions are and how the place rumbled. Your everyday audience member isn't going to remember a single note of the score.

So why do they bother hiring composers at all? Aren’t they just wasting time and money paying for him and an orchestra if they’re just going to bury the music underneath sound effects and dialogue?

21 hours ago, Simon R. said:

I hope you have some good sauce for that hat.

Yeah, @First TROS March Accolyte, you better dish up with some good sauce!

On 11/26/2019 at 4:00 PM, Thor said:

none of them made any impact on me

Not even The Spark? Granted, it's more like a set piece than a recurring theme.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:11 PM, Kasey Kockroach said:

So why do they bother hiring composers at all? Aren’t they just wasting time and money paying for him and an orchestra if they’re just going to bury the music underneath sound effects and dialogue?

That's why people like Lorne Balfe rise to the top. 

Cheap, fast, don't care.