Nathan Johnson discusses missing out on The Last Jedi to JW

crumbs

55 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I didn't know that! When was that revealed? 

Ironic, considering the reverse situation happened on TFA. 

There were a couple Rian Johnson interviews where he mentioned it, I think in one of the score featurettes actually. 

I don’t think it was set in stone or anything but he just said that was the assumption and when John saw the scene, he was like “I’m doin that” lol

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

There were a couple Rian Johnson interviews where he mentioned it, I think in one of the score featurettes actually. 

I don’t think it was set in stone or anything but he just said that was the assumption and when John saw the scene, he was like “I’m doin that” lol

There was no stopping him. Had Nathan Johnson said anything, Wiliams would have started knocking at him with a baton and yelling "Mine, mine, mine!"

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

So essentially Lucasfilm did exactly what WB should have done with David Yates and the Harry Potter franchise.

Lucasfilm: "So, Rian, we want you to direct the next Star Wars movie, are you in?"

Johnson: "Sure, great! But I would like to use my cousin and composer Nathan Johnson, he is relatively unknown but I think he'll work".

Lucasfilm: "No way! John Williams wrote iconic scores for the Star Wars saga, and he'll continue to do so until we say otherwise. We already conviced him to not only score Episodes VIII and IX but also write a few themes for Solo and Galaxy's Edge. So, you either find a way to collaborate with him or you're fired!"

Johnson: "Okay..."

Meanwhile:

WB exec: "So, David, we want you to direct the next Potter movies, are you in?"

Yates: "Sure, great! But I would like to use my composer Nicholas Hooper, he is relatively unknown but I think he'll work".

WB exec: "Yeah, whatever. He'll charge us less than John Williams anyway, so, more money for us to spend on VFX and the marketing campaign!"

The ST films have their problems but they gave us three Williams Sci-Fi fantasy scores, and that renders any criticism of them inert.

On 11/28/2019 at 3:29 PM, First TROS March Accolyte said:

The difference is that Williams made Lucasfilm rich in the first place. Meanwhile WB has a 100-years old tradition of treating composers like Steiner like livestock.

Livestock is yummy.

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

What a stupid interview. There's no way Johnson was going to be asked to score a Star Wars movie and it just means that the interview descends into a crowd-pleasing sermon about how great JW is.

Is that a bad thing though?

On 11/29/2019 at 1:07 AM, Edmilson said:

So essentially Lucasfilm did exactly what WB should have done with David Yates and the Harry Potter franchise.

Lucasfilm: "So, Rian, we want you to direct the next Star Wars movie, are you in?"

Johnson: "Sure, great! But I would like to use my cousin and composer Nathan Johnson, he is relatively unknown but I think he'll work".

Lucasfilm: "No way! John Williams wrote iconic scores for the Star Wars saga, and he'll continue to do so until we say otherwise. We already conviced him to not only score Episodes VIII and IX but also write a few themes for Solo and Galaxy's Edge. So, you either find a way to collaborate with him or you're fired!"

Johnson: "Okay..."

Meanwhile:

WB exec: "So, David, we want you to direct the next Potter movies, are you in?"

Yates: "Sure, great! But I would like to use my composer Nicholas Hooper, he is relatively unknown but I think he'll work".

WB exec: "Yeah, whatever. He'll charge us less than John Williams anyway, so, more money for us to spend on VFX and the marketing campaign!"

Harry Potter isn't as important as JWfanners make it out to be.

44 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

image.png

You were saying?

Interesting, that only pops up if you search specifically for "orate as an adjective," otherwise the dictionaries I saw only list it as a verb. 

Regardless, I think the way the characters in the sequel trilogy speak is just fine and matches the context - many characters in the prequel trilogy are senators, royalty, etc. which would mean they speak in a more formal manner. In the sequel trilogy, most of the characters are from more humble backgrounds so it makes sense that they would speak in a way that reflects that. Aside from that context, according to the genre and style of the Star Wars films, I think the sequel trilogy fits in just fine in this arena.

A lot of dull scientific technobabble.

And it's funnier on those awful DC shows on CW, on which despite the heroes being super powered, they need the help from a nerd with a lab on which they can do everything from hacking Pentagon systems to creating complex chemical formulas to portals to other universes, time machines, etc.