Fabulin

Wow, we're getting so much material now it's hard to keep up.

That opening does indeed sound like a gigantic new choral version of Duel of the Fates, but it doesn't really sound like the way Williams would arrange it. The chorus sounds generic/sampled, certainly not singing Sanskrit or anything.

I’ve been convinced with the use of Duel of the Fates in TROS since Don Williams’ comments so this doesn’t surprise me. On a side note; I hate the way they keep abusing JW’s iconic themes in crappy trailer music 

These TV spots have been progressively more and more interesting, mostly in that they are not like a lot of the other mini-trailers I've seen for other movies that just rehash footage from the full length trailers with occasional three second shots we haven't seen yet every third advertisement release. These ones actually show more and more previously unseen footage every time, and there are more and more every day!

20 minutes ago, tmarps said:

At the end of this film, it cuts to 35 year old George Lucas waking up from a nap with the words “...and it was all a dream” written in blue text

followed by : Actually Directed by David Lynch

It's amazing how seamlessly The Imperial March slots into Duel of the Fates here. Just another sign of Williams' genius, that two totally different themes written decades apart can be layered together so effortlessly and sound like they were always intended to co-exist.

Kinda makes me wonder how other themes might work in counterpoint with it. If the Imperial March is this seamless, why not the Emperor's or Kylo's Theme? Hell, if this underscores the film's epic fight, I see no reason why Williams can't weave Rey's Theme around it too.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

I sure hope they don't pull a RotS and use Duel Of The Fates in an important scene, taking away a potential score highlight. 

The retro pandering is more than enough with this series. 

I’m sure it will happen. And while I agree with you, I’ll love it.

24 minutes ago, Remco said:

I’m sure it will happen. And while I agree with you, I’ll love it.

It would only get a pass from me if the orchestration is completely different. 

But directors usually love their direct quotes. 

There's no excuse for Williams not to knock this out of the park. The movie looks like it has everything he needs to write an incredible score to close off the saga. You can see why he was so excited after seeing the first cut (even without all the effects done). 

I realize the music they use in these spots gives no indication on what the score will be, but I do find it interesting that we're getting so many more promotional adverts using a variety of Williams themes from all across the board than in the spots for the previous two films. Are they just trying to fuel nostalgia? Possibly, sure. But it's enough to make a guy wonder...

So far as I can recall, not a single theme has been used in a promo for the sequel trilogy thus far, that didn't also appear in the score proper for the film it was promoting. 

This promo is as good as confirmation that DOTF returns, IMO. 

12 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Capture.PNG

Hmm...return to Ahch-To perhaps?

I hope JW wrote some Al Newman-like wistful cues--she looks like Jennifer Jones in The Song of Bernadette.

33053476238_561674e0e1_k-1170x500.jpg

15 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It's trailer music

To my ears, this could be trailer-ization of an actual cue from the real score. It's pretty much a given Duel of the Fates will be in the film.

17 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's amazing how seamlessly The Imperial March slots into Duel of the Fates here. Just another sign of Williams' genius, that two totally different themes written decades apart can be layered together so effortlessly and sound like they were always intended to co-exist.

Kinda makes me wonder how other themes might work in counterpoint with it. If the Imperial March is this seamless, why not the Emperor's or Kylo's Theme? Hell, if this underscores the film's epic fight, I see no reason why Williams can't weave Rey's Theme around it too.

The Imperial March and Duel of the Fates have the same harmony/very similar. The chromatic mediant as its known, Em-Cm/Gm-Ebm (Duel of the Fates) & Gm-Ebm (The Imperial March). 

I think it's why the force theme has been used so much in the  marketing of the disney Star Wars era, it's so easily placed due it's diatonic like melody, works over any typical chord structure, but it's rarely (if at all) woven and crafted the way John Williams does. 

Like in the scene where Luke says to Obi-Wan, "I want to go with you to Alderaan", he plays the force theme over the horns in a G Minor context which is the same as Binary Sunset version, however in this Luke/Obi-Wan scene he plays that G Minor (hinted) melody in an Eb Major setting. 

This trailer music works for it's purpose I guess, but doesn't even come close to paying homage to the Williams scores.