A Holiday Reunion - E.T. the Extra Terrestrial Xfinity TV Commercial Spot

Bellosh

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh goddamn, don't tell me I'm the only one was actually touched by this? Especially hearing "ET and Me" in a scene, again.

Um, no?

50 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I caught this on TV. Very cute!

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

I'm impressed at how well they matched the puppet. It looked CGI in places but was seamless overall.

And JW's music always works, no surprises there. Fun ad!

Agreed, wonder for the 50th Anniversary Expanded Complete version we'll see:

A Holiday Reunion (Xfinity TV Commercial) - 4:18** Previously Unreleased

A part of my brain wishes we got that elusive sequel decades ago purely for a sequel score, but another part of my brain is happy it never happened.

The KOTCS debacle probably a factor there.

Wow, it's kind of impressive how much narrative they fit in 4 minutes. 

I would love to hear the whole story of who came up with this idea and how it all came together. 

This was perfect. Unexpected, but very welcomed. Absolutely heartwarming. A mini-sequel to E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. This captured the heart and spirit that makes the 1982 classic what it is. Watching this will become a staple for my family and I during the Christmas season for years to come. Happy Thanksgiving.

I have to say, though, that if this were a regular sequel and not an ad, it would hopefully have a bit more originality. The ad is basically just crossing off the exact same plot points of the original film. Familiarity is crucial to ads.

They played our heartstrings of course, with the music and the cherished memories of the original film. It's a pretty well executed commercial, but reminded me how honest Spielberg has always been in not doing a sequel to his masterpiece.

However, he and Melissa Mathison actually wrote a treatment for a sequel right after the film's release in 1982. It was called E.T. 2: Nocturnal Fears, but luckily it never went beyond an idea on paper:

https://genius.com/Steven-spielberg-et-ii-nocturnal-fears-annotated

Yeah, I know about "Nocturnal Fears". Something in me really wants to read that, but another part really wants to preserve the experience of the original as it is.

I thought it was cute, and there was only one Xfinity part of the story. 

And of course, seeing ET where an Oculus Go was amazing for me. (Since I have been part of Oculus since 2013.) 

16 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh goddamn, don't tell me I'm the only one was actually touched by this? Especially hearing "ET and Me" in a scene, again.

I was too! :blush2:

It was indeed very touching.

Just now, Quintus said:

I showed it to my kids (they've watched E.T. 5+ times) and they were grinning from ear to ear throughout.

Good parenting.

Last year it was Macaulay for the Google Assistant commercial, this year it's Henry Thomas for Comcast.  Next year it'll be Haley Joel Osment for Verizon.  "I see dead....zones with Sprint plans, switch to Verizon today to get the most comprehensive coverage map in the country!"

12 hours ago, lairdo said:

I thought it was cute, and there was only one Xfinity part of the story. 

They planted the brand in there a few times. The pad, the TV and the VR set; maybe more. I have no idea what Xfinity is or does (some media tech company? A media platform?), but kudos to them for putting this together.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

They planted the brand in there a few times. The pad, the TV and the VR set; maybe more. I have no idea what Xfinity is or does (some media tech company? A media platform?), but kudos to them for putting this together.

It's the cable/internet brand of Comcast, the company that owns Universal and NBC.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

JWFan in the future: LLL 100th Anniversary set includes the elusive track 'ET and TV (Xfinity Commercial)'

On 11/28/2019 at 5:26 PM, Bellosh said:

Agreed, wonder for the 50th Anniversary Expanded Complete version we'll see:

A Holiday Reunion (Xfinity TV Commercial) - 4:18** Previously Unreleased

On 11/29/2019 at 3:10 AM, Bespin said:

She died from an overdose in the late 90s.

What? Drew Barrymore is very much alive today.

On 11/28/2019 at 12:12 PM, Thor said:

That's sweet!

Spielberg has been adament about not doing a sequel to E.T., so I guess that's about as close as we'll get.

We have an abandoned Mathison/Spielberg story treatment for E.T. 2 so that is as close as we'll get to a sequel.  Spoiler: it would have sucked.

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/et2.pdf