Mike Matessino's STAR WARS: PREQUEL TRILOGY Collector's Set - Will it happen?

crumbs

Star Wars Prequel Trilogy expansion release schedule  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How will Disney Records release the inevitable Star Wars expansions?

• One score at a time, from TPM through to TROS (or any other order)
    • One trilogy at a time, from the prequels through the sequels (or any other order)
    • The entire saga in one gigantic set, timed to release with the 4K Bluray set next year
    • The entire saga in one gigantic set, many years from now
    • NEVER!
    • Individual releases of all 9, released at the same time

I gotta say, hearing parts of the prequel trilogy in 7.1 lossless in Jedi: Fallen Order really, really annoys me because it sounds SO DAMN GOOD! Especially the sections with Anakin's Betrayal and Anakin's Dark Deeds. How I so wish Mike got the chance to handle these scores properly :crymore:

It got me thinking though, how will Disney Records tackle these scores when they finally get to expansions? Everyone seems to think a huge box set with all 9 scores is cost-prohibitive, but you have to remember that, unlike a smaller label, Disney don't need to pay anyone a license fee to release the first 6 scores (and just need to pay union fees for 7-9), so that means each score can be released more affordably.

Still, do you expect individual expansions over several months? Trilogy box sets every year? Or the whole saga in one go? Or is it simply our lot in life to suffer and we will never see these mistreated scores receive the treatment they deserve?

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

There I fixed the topic title to something less heart attack inducing.

I didn't read the original title. I guess it didn't include "Will it ever happen?", right? :lol:

Problem is: when would be interesting for Disney to release this?

I mean, in terms of marketing, the perfect oportunity would be now, timed to the release of TROS closing the Skywalker saga.

Because, after this movie, the franchise will take a break for a few years, at the very least until 2022, and who knows in what shape it'll be when it returns to the theaters? Almost certainly not with JW composing the whole score.

So yeah, I dunno when would it be interesting for Disney, in terms of $$$$, to release this. But it makes sense an Indiana Jones megabox on 2021, timed to the release (?) of the fifth movie.

Well Mike has said all along that it doesn't make sense to do it until John has finished scoring the saga, so I guess that means we were never getting traction here until after TROS was done. I'm hopeful for something next year (but not holding my breath). Disney will release 4K masters of the whole saga next year and that will be it for many years, other than Disney+ shows.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Your poll doesn't contain the option I would pick, which is individual releases, but all released on the same day (no box), so I can't vote. 

There you go!

• 4 weeks later...

Of course it will happen eventually, one way or another. What I would be most interested in is, how will MM tackle the end credits? I really dislike having the concert arrangements at the beginning of the OSTs only to have them repeated at the end in the credits. Any chance MM could avoid this?

I don't see how? It was always Williams' intended end credits suite to have them included. He even wrote a coda for Across the Stars specific for that suite, to be appended to the concert suite.

AOTC even uses the TPM recording of the end credits fanfare.

They’ll release all of them if more people request it but I guess we’re all too busy discussing why someone would want to fuck Palpatine. Just go to r/movies or r/prequelmemes. :pat:

More demand = more $ for Disney = we’ll finally get what we want

Release the complete scores of the Skywalker Saga now! 

• 3 weeks later...

I would LOVE to see this  happen.  In addition to the sequel trilogy having their complete scores released.  I may not be the hugest fan of the prequels (Revenge of the Sith I DID like, though), but the music was consistently great throughout the prequels.  

On 12/22/2019 at 11:16 AM, bollemanneke said:

Of course it will happen eventually, one way or another. What I would be most interested in is, how will MM tackle the end credits? I really dislike having the concert arrangements at the beginning of the OSTs only to have them repeated at the end in the credits. Any chance MM could avoid this?

Put the concert versions in the bonus tracks section, of course, as it is usual for decent C&C releases.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly haven't listened to the prequel scores very much at all in years, but after listening to The Phantom Menace's soundtrack I gotta say:  that music is really, really good.  It's arguably the real heart of an otherwise soulless picture.  Even Attack of the Clones's score is better than it has any right to be.  Already listening to Revenge and so far the standards haven't fallen.  The existing albums are missing many minutes of music that could stand to be rereleased.  I hope Matessino gets on with it someday.

• 1 year later...

Individual releases.

This is Disney Records, they'll have all of them as separate things you can look up on Spotify and iTunes and stuch

If we're lucky we'll get physical CD releases too, and I'd guess they'll be separate listings like they do with the Legacy Collection

https://www.disneymusicemporium.com/dept/the-legacy-collection?cp=81712_82044

MAYBE they'll release a box set version too if they even get a CD version at all, but it'd probably be limited and probably wouldn't have any content the separate releases don't, I'd guess.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Do you think these scores will be released individually or as a boxset?

Why did you have to bring that subject up? :crymore: For one moment I thought that it might be it, our beautiful 50CD set.

"You're breaking my heart"

• 2 weeks later...

What Jay said is how I think they'll be released. More than likely digital-only, given the releases of the game soundtracks and Solo expanded have all been digital-only so far.

I'm pessimistic when it comes to the chances of physical releases lately, but I wouldn't rule them out completely. If these are to come through specialty labels, and other big name scores have been given similar treatments like Harry Potter, why shouldn't we have a slight glimmer of hope that the same will happen for Star Wars, an arguably more beloved franchise? 

18 hours ago, King Mark said:

I think we''ll be bumping this thread every 2 years until every one on this forum is dead

Wrong! We will raise the next generation of embittered fans who will continue the futile bumps long after we're gone. :lol:

I think it would be better for the releases if they were separate so hopefully no corners are cut, that being said the Potter Lalaland set was brilliant. 

I have no idea, but I imagine they would be done as three separate trilogy packages. I think that would serve the music best (each trilogy really has its own "sound" and Williams' style evolved over time) and it would make creation of special packaging easier. If it happens at all, that is. It really should because there's a compelling argument to preserve all the elements in contemporary formats for future use apart from what we music fans would like.

Solo expansion did good, Battlefront ones are too it seems. So we need not to lose the hope. Disney just needs to put their shit together and reveal all Indy and SW scores re-releases.

• 5 months later...
On 28/11/2021 at 6:40 AM, Drew said:

Someone tell him that not all Star Wars expansions have to be edited as badly as the TPM 2000 album.

Alternatively, just show him that release as an example of what happens when Mike isn't involved.