John Williams' DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake) 4CD Box Set from La-La Land Records

Chewy

24 minutes ago, crumbs said:

These interviews with Mike are one of the highlights of my year @TownerFan. Thank you so much for the hard work you put into these, not just arranging them with Mike but editing everything together. I know it's a huge amount of work but the effort shines through.

Seconded.

Won't be able to listen to this until tomorrow probably, cannot wait!

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

I thought they were shipping on the 10th, it's now the 12th here in Australia! Patiently awaiting my notice...

If you also ordered "Karate Kid" I believe both won't ship until the 16th.  If you have only ordered the box set be patient; maybe they are slightly overwhelmed with orders for this and other Black Friday releases. That's to be expected owing to the popularity of these forthcoming titles.  

No doubt the LLL mail room employees are doing their best to get all pre-orders out  before they break for the holidays at the end of next week. 

Customer Service at this company is just simply among the the best there is and usually for us Australians, the delivery is fairly quick once they depart from L.A. 

However , the only variable to contend with is to factor in Christmas rush and the fact that most postal systems around the world will be working diligently to avoid any potential delays. Unfortunately it is the time of year when things can happen outside of our control though. 

We've waited this long. The CDs will be here before we know it.  🎁

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

Same here! Ours must be side by side we’re getting notices the same time 😂 

Me too. But USPS only shows the label was created. I guess they will get the package physically tomorrow. I'm hoping it arrives by Saturday!

Mike is speaking about some more Fox album possibly coming in the next years.

So it should be:
1967 Valley of the Dolls
1973 The Paper Chase
1974 Conrack 
1986 SpaceCamp

And maybe

2013 The Book Thief
2017 The Post

1 minute ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I'd be most interested in Valley of the Dolls, weirdly.

As he said, Valley of the Dolls elements are completly archived and ready for a possible release.

The point is that a lot of restoration work is necessary.

14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I loved the fact that Mike wished everyone happy holidays… and that he said there will probably be more occasions for these kind of interviews!

Yes, I'm sure there will be a new HA release soon!

So for Poseidon Adventure Mike used the existing scans from 2010 but remastered them using modern technology, while the other two scores had modern transfers?

Presumably better elements couldn't be found for TPA, or don't even exist anymore, which is a shame.

48 minutes ago, aescalle said:

Mike is speaking about some more Fox album possibly coming in the next years.

So it should be:
1967 Valley of the Dolls
1973 The Paper Chase
1974 Conrack 
1986 SpaceCamp

And maybe

2013 The Book Thief
2017 The Post

I've never liked VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, neither film nor score/songs. THE PAPER CHASE, SPACECAMP, THE BOOK THIEF and THE POST all have perfect soundtracks already. But I'm curious about CONRACK. Off the top of my head (it's been a while since I saw the movie last), I'm guessing there is about 15 minutes worth of score(?) in addition to the "Main Titles" that has already been released. Perhaps not even that much. So if it were released, it would probably be coupled with something else.

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

I've never liked VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, neither film nor score/songs. THE PAPER CHASE, SPACECAMP, THE BOOK THIEF and THE POST all have perfect soundtracks already. But I'm curious about CONRACK. Off the top of my head (it's been a while since I saw the movie last), I'm guessing there is about 15 minutes worth of score(?) in addition to the "Main Titles" that has already been released. Perhaps not even that much. So if it were released, it would probably be coupled with something else.

I like Valley of The Dolls score there is some very interesting Williams' cues in it. Very romantic. Different feeling than the original OST.

For Conrack there is a good idea of the score on the Isolated and fx track in the Twilight Bluray edition.

A simple and peacefull score.. It reminds me The Sugarland Express one

4 minutes ago, aescalle said:

A simple and peacefull score.. It reminds me The Sugarland Express one

Yes, it's in that 'down-and-dirty', folksy Americana style he does so well (SUGARLAND, THE REIVERS, THE MISSOURI BREAKS, THE MAN WHO LOVED CAT DANCING etc.). I also like that the film has so little score; it heightens the dynamic between Voight and his illiterate pupils without any "rhetoric force" to guide you. Oh man....there was a time Voight was a likeable, liberal, charismatic actor. Imagine that!

12 minutes ago, Ricard said:

Why? I like many people regardless of their political views.

So do I. Up to a certain point. Voight is well beyond that point for me.

But I like him as an actor, and I'm able to appreciate his work regardless of his contemporary madness. Although I can't remember having seen him in anything noteworthy since MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE over 20 years ago.

I am debating wether I should buy this. There isn't a bigger Towering Inferno fan than me here, Same for Earthquake. The Poseidon Adventure has never truly melted my butter though. However it is pure John. It is referenced intentionally or not in his many socres that follows.

2 out of 3 ain't bad, so why are you hesitating? You could probably sell off TPA if you dislike it.

As MM stated in the recent interview, it's not really a set as each title has its own catalogue number, so it can quite easily be broken up. Just send the slipcase to someone here that will inevitably receive one that's been mangled in the mail.

So Mike mentioned other upcoming 20CF titles that were signed before the takeover but then clarified none of them are Williams, right? I was in a rush and didn't have time to listen twice. 

36 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So Mike mentioned other upcoming 20CF titles that were signed before the takeover but then clarified none of them are Williams, right? I was in a rush and didn't have time to listen twice. 

That's outside the scope of this thread, and in fact I already brought up that statement of his right here: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24564-john-williams-scores-by-film-studio/&do=findComment&comment=1671769

12 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

2 out of 3 ain't bad, so why are you hesitating? You could probably sell off TPA if you dislike it.

As MM stated in the recent interview, it's not really a set as each title has its own catalogue number, so it can quite easily be broken up. Just send the slipcase to someone here that will inevitably receive one that's been mangled in the mail.

NO I have spent a lot of money on myself this year. There is no music that I cannot live without.

18 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Thanks everyone for the nice words and support. I'm happy you like it. Mike is incredibly generous and giving to do these talks and I'm honoured he accepts to do them for The Legacy of John Williams.

I'm sorry I couldn't make it available sooner, but these things take time to do and I do my best job to make them as good as possible. By the way, the good news is that I have two more podcasts almost ready to go before the end of the year, so I hope to make amend of your waiting time :) 

No apologies necessary! The interview and conversation were great, and I am so glad you covered the entire year in releases with Mike - and touched on other lesser known scores. It was a great listen. Well done.

(And also, I have had Tower's main theme in my head all day - and it's a very pleasant track to have stuck there.)

5 hours ago, Jay said:

That's outside the scope of this thread, and in fact I already brought up that statement of his right here: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24564-john-williams-scores-by-film-studio/&do=findComment&comment=1671769

Feel free to move it into the other thread. I don't have time to check every thread to see where each discussion point has been raised and discussed. :P

21 hours ago, Thor said:

So do I. Up to a certain point. Voight is well beyond that point for me.

But I like him as an actor, and I'm able to appreciate his work regardless of his contemporary madness. Although I can't remember having seen him in anything noteworthy since MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE over 20 years ago.

Nah, I like Jon Voight! He's a great actor, and I don't mind his political views either. To each his own. 

I greatly enjoyed his over-the- top performance as a villain on 24! Definitely an overrated fairytale, this series with Kiefer Sutherland as a US super agent playing the good guy, but definitely very well imagined and very well made for all that! 

That's right, the 24 role was pretty good; I'll replace MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE with that, then, as the latest noteworthy performance. As I said earlier, I have no problem appreciating his acting abilites while at the same time finding both him and his political views abhorrent.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

That's right, the 24 role was pretty good; I'll replace MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE with that, then, as the latest noteworthy performance. As I said earlier, I have no problem appreciating his acting abilites while at the same time finding both him and his political views abhorrent.

Yeah, and there are enough people that find the other side even more abhorrent. 

But enough about politics. We all know in the US that's a very touchy subject right now... 

I'm getting the feeling this won't sell out for 2-3 years, and probably even longer! 

I'll get it eventually, of course, but let's face it, this isn't exactly the Jurassic Park or the Harry Potter Collection!