John Williams' DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake) 4CD Box Set from La-La Land Records

Chewy

I've never listened to TTI or TPA outside a few tracks from the older releases, so I'll be more curious how the complete film scores stack up against other MM remasters from the same era. 

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I was a little disappointed with the Towering Inferno part. The complete score disk is a great listen. But since before I only owned a bootleg of the OST I was looking forward to get at last a good sounding version of "An Architect's Dream". But the endtiles on the first disk sound somehow as if the original tape was damaged there. And the version on disk two is not much better than the one I have on my bootleg. This is definitely a track where I would like to see a re-recording. Maybe on "Lights, Camera... Music 2"?

Check out the Suite on Varese RSNO re-recording series album called: The Towering Inferno and Other Disaster Classics which has the piece you have in question.

The Towering Inferno And Other Disaster Classics 1.jpg

14 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

was a little disappointed with the Towering Inferno part. The complete score disk is a great listen. But since before I only owned a bootleg of the OST I was looking forward to get at last a good sounding version of "An Architect's Dream". But the endtiles on the first disk sound somehow as if the original tape was damaged there.

How do you mean it sounds damaged?

The brass and the woodwinds have particularly a blubbering sound as if the recording was overdriven, even immediately the tumpets in the beginning. But for sure it wasn't a recording issue, so I guess it's partly overaged. Funnily I just recognized that in this last track. The rest seems fine to me. 

I guess this is not unusual for a recording of that age.

• 3 months later...

Jeff Bond in his Wonderful Liners Notes Of The Poseidon Adventure…Wrote that Poseidon received “9” Oscar Nomination. No! Jeff This is incorrect…Poseidon Adventure received “8” Oscar Nomination.

1. Supporting Actress Shelley Winters

2. Film Editing Harold F. Kress

3. Art and Set Decoration William Cerber & Raphael Bretton

4. Cinematographer Harold E. Stine 

5. Original Score John Williams

6. Song. Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn 

7. Costume Design  Paul Zastupnevich 

8. Sound  Theodore Soderberg and Herman Lewis 

The Board of Governors Presented LB Abbott and AD Flowers A Special Oscar For its Visual Effects…Not A Nomination, but an Special Award, For Visual Effects. 

Irwin Allen’s The Poseidon Adventure only won Best Song The Morning After at the 1972 Oscars. And was Given a Special Award for Visual Effects. 

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

The JOHN WILLIAMS DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION- EARTHQUAKE, TOWERING INFERNO, POSEIDON ADVENTURE (4-CD BOX SET) is arriving back in stock and is available to order NOW - STARTS SHIPPING AGAIN ON 6/20/23

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=151424&forumID=1&archive=0

I'm on the fence about grabbing this while I have the chance. Is the sound quality on this release any good? And what is the music most closely related to stylistically? I'm not familiar with any of JW's music prior to Jaws and it could be interesting to delve further back in the timeline...

THE TOWERING INFERNO sounds absolutely brilliant!

THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE is much improved, and it has the first release of the score (as heard in the film) of EARTHQUAKE.

Obviously, the sound won't compare with a score recorded yesterday, but they are all very good scores.

THE TOWERING INFERNO is my third favourite JW score, and if that's not a recommendation, then I don't know what is :)

Buy it, if you can!!!

7 minutes ago, Trope said:

I'm not familiar with any of JW's music prior to Jaws and it could be interesting to delve further back in the timeline...

It's easy to trace the lineage of these scores, through to THE EIGER SANCTION, BLACK SUNDAY, and beyond, all the way to THE FURY and DRACULA.

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

Sure, if you want JW not sounding much like JW

I hope that I will be able to speak to you in 20 years from now. Perhaps you will have evolved into a different person, and it will be for the better! :P

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Sure, if you want JW not sounding much like JW

Not true, dude.

I would say that the "John Williams sound", as we know it, started with the likes of HOW TO STEAL A MILLION, and HEIDI, and continued with THE REIVERS, and THE COWBOYS.

As I've said; there are traces of THE TOWERING INFERNO in THE EIGER SANCTION, THE FURY, and DRACULA, as well as STAR WARS and SUPERMAN.

The Disaster box is worth getting, @Trope, even if it's an investment.

Nice to see you back, @MikeH.

Great avatar, as always :)

Honestly, Poseidon does next to nothing for me and Earthquake is very 70s and something I have to be in the mood for — think Sugarland Express or Missouri Breaks. The Towering Inferno’s pretty good though and has a lot of similarities with The Cowboys and Superman. The movie itself is ridiculous, but has some good spectacle. It could stand to lose a solid half hour though.

6 hours ago, Trope said:

I'm on the fence about grabbing this while I have the chance. Is the sound quality on this release any good? And what is the music most closely related to stylistically? I'm not familiar with any of JW's music prior to Jaws and it could be interesting to delve further back in the timeline...

You really should have a crush on that 60s/early 70s easy listening pop sound. Best sound of the three has Earthquake. Towering Inferno soünds to me particularly hysterical. But so is the movie. All three main themes are great and spectacular, but also available on samplers as re-recordings. And they are Not necessarily representative for the rest of the score. For my taste Eiger Sanction and The Cowboys are the better albums. But that's just my view.

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

It's an absolute must!

Look into John Williams' eyes; he's judging you if you don't plan to get this box set now!

Haha, who am I to resist JW? Although he may also be judging YOU for placing The Amazing Spider-Man 2 alongside his masterpieces...