John Williams' DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake) 4CD Box Set from La-La Land Records

Chewy

The plural of CD is CDs.  "I bought 2 CDs".

CD's implies a possessive.  "The CD's label is weird.".

20 hours ago, Jay said:

The plural of CD is CDs.  "I bought 2 CDs".

CD's implies a possessive.  "The CD's label is weird.".

He even set a dot behind every fucking letter!:shakehead:

I never understood why so many people add apostrophes when pluralizing things.  That's not a JWFan thing, it's everywhere on the internet.  And not just by people for whom English is a second language, it's everyone.  I don't understand what connection is even made in the brain to use an apostrophe when you're trying to pluralize something.

Uh, hmm, now I'm not too sure. We definitely write CD's and for some weird reason we need to add an apostrophe when a word ends on a certain vowel, even when the original word is English (baby's is our version of babies). God, I'm totally confused now since I hardly ever write in Dutch anymore.

20 hours ago, Jay said:

I never understood why so many people add apostrophes when pluralizing things.  That's not a JWFan thing, it's everywhere on the internet.  And not just by people for whom English is a second language, it's everyone.  I don't understand what connection is even made in the brain to use an apostrophe when you're trying to pluralize something.

Many Germans add an apostrophe to a "s" in order to imply a possessive, but that's incorrect. You just add an "s" without anything else to a noun. But in this case, we know where the fault is coming from: people mix up english and german standard. But why the heck people all around the globe would use an apostrophe to imply a plural is beyond me.

I thought it was more prominent with those whose first language is English, they hear "its" and "it's" for years sounding alike, before learning to write and knowing the grammar and sense behind them.

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

I thought it was more prominent with those whose first language is English, they hear "its" and "it's" for years sounding alike, before learning the grammar and sense behind them.

That example confuses lots of people, because the general rule is to add an apostrophe to denote possession/ownership (eg: that was Holko's fantastic GIF). But "its" should only have an apostrophe to denote an abbreviation of "it is," and should not have an apostrophe to denote ownership when used that way.

So, if you wrote, "a bird should feather its nest," it denotes ownership without the apostrophe because adding one would say, "a bird should feather it is nest," which makes no grammatical sense.

In closing, it's a language filled with weird inconsistencies.

On 7/24/2020 at 5:37 AM, Jay said:

There’s even a name for it: the grocer’s apostrophe: https://wordcounter.net/blog/tag/grocers-apostrophe

image.jpeg

Again, they probably hear "could've" pronounced like that in certain accents way before they can read/write and understand it makes zero goddamn since.

Yes that was intentional.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit and they're just lazy and uneducated as adults too.

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I noticed that out of the three titles in the box, only Earthquake has the OST presentation before the score presentation. Anybody knows the reasoning behind this? Asking for a friend.

Poseidon Adventure never had an OST, so there's only the complete score presentation

The Towering Inferno's complete score is very long so takes up the whole first disc, so the second disc being the OST + alternates is standard procedure.  The OST is last I guess because it's mostly redundant material you've already heard.  If the discs were swapped, it'd be kind of weird to present alternates before the main score presentation versions that they are an alternate of.

Earthquake's OST was a complete re-recording that had better recording quality than the film tracks, and Mike found the elements to present the OST as Williams intended it to be heard before a few tracks were combined into medleys with sound effects added.  So it makes sense to me to "lead off" with the best sounding stuff.  (with Towering Inferno, the film tracks don't sound all that different from the OST mix).  With the OST being so short as well as the film recordings being so short that both fit on 1 disc with alternates, it makes sense to have the OST first, just like River and Monsignor that had the same relative lengths, I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Just a warning for everyone -- the last time this set came back into stock (Feb 29, 2020), it was sold out less than 10 days later.

I wouldn't hold off if you want for this release; you might not get another chance until 2022.

EDIT: Oops, there was actually a small batch of new stock last July but I have no idea how quickly that sold out. Still, considering it's been out of stock for 10 months I wouldn't expect this batch to last long.

I'm currently listening to Poseidon again. Marvellous score. Can't understand what is meant by "Partial Mono Source" for the Main Title though. Surely a track is either Stereo or Mono? 

17 hours ago, crumbs said:

Just a warning for everyone -- the last time this set came back into stock (Feb 29, 2020), it was sold out less than 10 days later.

Currently, they seem to have 156 items in stock. If it sells like the last batch of the HP set, it's indeed gonna be fast!

17 hours ago, stravinsky said:

I'm currently listening to Poseidon again. Marvellous score. Can't understand what is meant by "Partial Mono Source" for the Main Title though. Surely a track is either Stereo or Mono? 

The previous release had the main title in mono and the Alternate main.title in stereo!😗

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Currently, they seem to have 156 items in stock. If it sells like the last batch of the HP set, it's indeed gonna be fast!

Wow! I wonder how many copies were in this newest batch? Surely not 500?

8 hours ago, Chewy said:

Down to 136 copies now, so that's 20 copies sold in the last 8 hours alone (during US graveyard hours, so it'll only spike up from here).

This will be out of stock again in less than 3 days.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Down to 136 copies now, so that's 20 copies sold in the last 8 hours alone. Wish I'd checked the stock levels last night when I ordered!

Either way, this will be out of stock in less than 3 days.

Where do you see the number of copies left?

You just try to add a big quantity to your cart and it will only let you add the amount they actually have on hand

Just add a copy to your cart then increase the quantity until the error message comes up saying there's insufficient stock. That's how we can determine how many copies remain in their inventory.

image.png

I'm listening to Towering Inferno and there must be something wrong with my ears because I can hear very little sonic improvement from the old FSM release. But that's by the by. 

What I can hear is placing of the strings (basses on my left speaker) as opposed to the right. Does this just reflect the way the score was recorded? 

Huh, that's an interesting perspective; I thought TTI had the most improvement over prior releases out of the 3 scores, personally

I believe all the instrument placement on the new set is correct; Older releases might have flipped some things around by accident

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Just add a copy to your cart then increase the quantity until the error message comes up saying there's insufficient stock. That's how we can determine how many copies remain in their inventory.

Ha, ha. That's creative.

I was a little disappointed with the Towering Inferno part. The complete score disk is a great listen. But since before I only owned a bootleg of the OST I was looking forward to get at last a good sounding version of "An Architect's Dream". But the endtiles on the first disk sound somehow as if the original tape was damaged there. And the version on disk two is not much better than the one I have on my bootleg. This is definitely a track where I would like to see a re-recording. Maybe on "Lights, Camera... Music 2"?