John Williams' DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake) 4CD Box Set from La-La Land Records NOW AVAILABLE

The plural of CD is CDs.  "I bought 2 CDs".

CD's implies a possessive.  "The CD's label is weird.".

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I know you're probably busy listening to other John Williams stuff today , but here's the long-awaited podcast with Mike Matessino about the DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION:   https://

This isn't directed at anyone. I'm just passionate about this subject lately...   On top of what Jay said, it's likely not often feasible for LLL to print an entire run. Sure, some are likel

"Earthwake" -- sounds like the perfect name for an environmental issue movement! Time to wake up and save the earth, folks!    

I never understood why so many people add apostrophes when pluralizing things.  That's not a JWFan thing, it's everywhere on the internet.  And not just by people for whom English is a second language, it's everyone.  I don't understand what connection is even made in the brain to use an apostrophe when you're trying to pluralize something.

Uh, hmm, now I'm not too sure. We definitely write CD's and for some weird reason we need to add an apostrophe when a word ends on a certain vowel, even when the original word is English (baby's is our version of babies). God, I'm totally confused now since I hardly ever write in Dutch anymore.

20 hours ago, Jay said:

I never understood why so many people add apostrophes when pluralizing things.  That's not a JWFan thing, it's everywhere on the internet.  And not just by people for whom English is a second language, it's everyone.  I don't understand what connection is even made in the brain to use an apostrophe when you're trying to pluralize something.

Many Germans add an apostrophe to a "s" in order to imply a possessive, but that's incorrect. You just add an "s" without anything else to a noun. But in this case, we know where the fault is coming from: people mix up english and german standard. But why the heck people all around the globe would use an apostrophe to imply a plural is beyond me.

I thought it was more prominent with those whose first language is English, they hear "its" and "it's" for years sounding alike, before learning to write and knowing the grammar and sense behind them.

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

I thought it was more prominent with those whose first language is English, they hear "its" and "it's" for years sounding alike, before learning the grammar and sense behind them.

That example confuses lots of people, because the general rule is to add an apostrophe to denote possession/ownership (eg: that was Holko's fantastic GIF). But "its" should only have an apostrophe to denote an abbreviation of "it is," and should not have an apostrophe to denote ownership when used that way.

So, if you wrote, "a bird should feather its nest," it denotes ownership without the apostrophe because adding one would say, "a bird should feather it is nest," which makes no grammatical sense.

In closing, it's a language filled with weird inconsistencies.

On 7/24/2020 at 5:37 AM, Jay said:

There’s even a name for it: the grocer’s apostrophe: https://wordcounter.net/blog/tag/grocers-apostrophe

image.jpeg

Again, they probably hear "could've" pronounced like that in certain accents way before they can read/write and understand it makes zero goddamn since.

Yes that was intentional.

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit and they're just lazy and uneducated as adults too.