John Williams' DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake) 4CD Box Set from La-La Land Records

Chewy

Comparing the track list for both LLL releases of the PA, I can see some questions arising regarding the main and end titles and sources used. Hopefully not as ugly as it got over at FSM when the first LLL PA came out. I’m half asleep, but it looks like The Alternate End Title is missing on the newer release.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Manfrenjensenden said:

Comparing the track list for both LLL releases of the PA, I can see some questions arising regarding the main and end titles. Hopefully not as ugly as it got over at FSM when the first LLL PA came out. 

Please elaborate? I don't know these scores at all nor whatever happened with FSM. 

The best tracks being in different subpar quality?

Poseidon always sounded like shit, but it's a 70s JW score, so that's to be expected. However, LLL reissued it years ago and while it sold out in record time, the audio for arguably the highlight of the score was completely different and shittier than the rest of the score.

42 minutes ago, Chewy said:

the exciting feature films THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (1972) and THE TOWERING INFERNO (1974), both [...] and EARTHQUAKE (1974)...

LOL. Earthquake's the not very good one, right?

POSEIDON has been restored and meticulously remastered from original vault materials for improved sound over previous releases, and features a reordered program of the movie’s source music and songs, now including the hit Maureen McGovern single version of “The Morning After.” The 2-CD TOWERING INFERNO presentation is a major restoration project, sourced from 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros. WEA and Allen estate materials, and is the most comprehensive and best-sounding representation of this amazing score to date. DISC 1 showcases the original score presentation, while DISC 2 features alternates, source music, and the first official CD release of the 1974 soundtrack album master.

The EARTHQUAKE score, sourced from Universal Music Group and Universal Pictures elements, features a fully remixed and remastered presentation of the 1974 soundtrack album recording, and – for the first time – the world premiere of the original film score recording.

I think all releases of these scores on CD have sounded like crap, but that's typical of 1970s JW scores. Inferno sounds alright on album, but officially it's only been on vinyl and an obvious vinyl rip digital release, embarrassingly. Those FSM CDs are some of the worst ever in terms of the sound. Earthquake also has a terrible sounding CD. It's like it was transferred from a cassette recording of it.

53 minutes ago, Holko said:

LOL. Earthquake's the not very good one, right?

The film is bad, yes. But the score is good!

This seems like a nice collection for those who don't already own these, and/or who prefer expansions. Also, if one were to be somewhat loose with the disaster definition, one could also have included BLACK SUNDAY in this (or even JAWS).

Obviously, as one would expect, I'm perfectly set with my old soundtracks. But just like that, my FSM release of THE TOWERING INFERNO is no longer the most valuable single CD in my collection. I'll have to investigate what's taking its place now, both in terms of Williams and in general; I don't think I have anything that could match it -- it went for $100 plus just a decade ago or so. I remember one auction in the mid 2000s where it went for $250!

I can’t even imagine the logistics of trying to put this together. Different studios, record labels, estates....

This was something I mentioned several years ago or so as a possible box set I’d like to see released.

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Obviously, as one would expect, I'm perfectly set with my old soundtracks.

You're forgetting the potentially greatly improved sound - most of the earlier JW disaster releases have been chronically lacking in that respect.

4 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I can assure that all three scores sounds MUCH better than the previous releases.

Did you hear the samples before all of us?

Oh, I'm sure the sound quality is much improved. No doubt there. But the sound quality has never been an issue on any of those previous releases, to me, anyway. It's not like that semi-bootleggy release of his clarinet concerto or whatever.

The EARTHQUAKE score, sourced from Universal Music Group and Universal Pictures elements, features a fully remixed and remastered presentation of the 1974 soundtrack album recording, and – for the first time – the world premiere of the original film score recording.

Is that mean that the 1974 album was a re-recording? Or just that it was made with some alt recordings from the score sessions? Do we have more information at this point?

For my part, I'm happy cause I always had the feeling that it was useless to try to track down those two "rare" OOP previous expansions:

p_fsmcdvol4no3.jpg p_lllcd11133.jpg

My patience have finally paid!

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Damn, prices are escalating fast lately... Shouldn't this be around 69$?

I guess those additional $6 are TownerFan's consultancy fee. ;)

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

So can we deduce that the 1974 album was a re-recording? Do I understand well?

Yes, with a mariachi band.

Personally, I'm thrilled for the release, and while there is a lot of material here from other sources, having a new package, with as much as we can get and album presentations is a plus for me. (The Earthquake score was released in quad sound, so I guess that is missing - glad I have it, not that I ever listen to it since I have to pump it though my home theater!)

Looking forward to the podcast from @TownerFan and Mike M. 

Order date is apparently Tue, Dec 3, 12 pm PST along with La-La Land's other 4 releases (ST Voyager Vol 2, Karate Kid, Paramount Westerns and Stargate).

I've never heard EARTHQUAKE or POSEIDON apart from the main themes on compilation cd, so Iam ready for these. Sold my FSM copy of TOWERING INFERNO 10 years ago because some confused guy at SAE told me that a new remastered set was coming. It wasn't. It was the POSEIDON. So anyways glad to nab it this time remastered et all. 

Fantastic release!

Why does Steve McQueen look like a Neanderthal on that poster? LOL

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

why does the picture on the bottom  have a weird tall jewel boxes

It's because these are cassettes