John Williams' DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake) 4CD Box Set from La-La Land Records

Chewy

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

I am happy to say I don't have any particular craving for most of John Williams written source music. The actual complete scores are perfectly enough for me.

Except for the missing shawm cue. Never forget!

me too, and  I don't care about the shawm cue

Let's see...

Swing, Swing, Swing (kinda)

Eleventh Commandment

Lava Flow

The Kiss

The Leaky Cauldron

Cast a Christmas Spell

The Courtyard

Double Trouble

Home Alone carols

Jaws Marching Band No. 2

Stalling Around

Cantina Band 1&2

Anything Goes (kinda)

Dinner Source

Are all really damn good! Off the top of my head.

50 minutes ago, Holko said:

Let's see...

Eleventh Commandment

Lava Flow

The Kiss

The Leaky Cauldron

Cast a Christmas Spell

The Courtyard

Double Trouble

Home Alone carols

Jaws Marching Band No. 2

Stalling Around

Cantina Band 1&2

Anything Goes (kinda)

Dinner Source

Williams only wrote the food stingers for the dinner scene in TOD though...

52 minutes ago, Holko said:

Let's see...

Eleventh Commandment

Lava Flow

The Kiss

The Leaky Cauldron

Cast a Christmas Spell

The Courtyard

Double Trouble

Home Alone carols

Jaws Marching Band No. 2

Stalling Around

Cantina Band 1&2

Anything Goes (kinda)

Dinner Source

Let us not forget the icing on the cake that is Kids on the Bus  :lol:

I enjoy Williams' source music in general, but I view it as a bonus if it's included and not incredibly important.

Perhaps someday there will be a 'John Williams source music and oddities Collection Vol 1' starting off with 4 alternate takes of the Shawm cue.

28 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Let us not forget the icing on the cake that is Kids on the Bus  :lol:

Ah, the Superman source cues. I did skip into all of them once and I'm almost glad they're on the II/III release so I don't have to own them!

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Ditto!

Shame it won't ship until the next Tuesday.

Karol

Yeah but I sort of resigned on the idea of getting these LLL release for Christmas anyway. Especially when our recent postal strike caused quite a bit of delay in the regular package deliveries, not to mention the Christmas time service.

I must say, it was hard to listen to the prior releases in the past with the lower sound quality so I never really got into the scores and do not know them at all since I've never seen the movies either.  It's amazing how much a difference in sound quality can change one's opinion about the quality of the score! 

12 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Yeah but I sort of resigned on the idea of getting these LLL release for Christmas anyway. Especially when our recent postal strike caused quite a bit of delay in the regular package deliveries, not to mention the Christmas time service.

Hopefully you'll be more lucky this year. :)

Karol

46 minutes ago, Incanus said:

But isn't Santa Clause Finnish?

The 1974 album tracks for Towering Inferno are a revelation. Sounds like they were remixed from the ground up with fantastic clarity. The drum kit is mixed lower in Lisolette and Harlee which is...different, but overall I never imagined I’d ever hear these tracks sound as good as this. Interested to hear from Mike M about this whole project and how it came together. 

Poseidon and Inferno have always felt like they were recorded very hot. Both the film and album tracks for Earthquake sound much better imho, I’d be curious to know if that’s just luck of the draw or if it had to do with the recording style/facilities at Fox vs. Universal at the time. 

33 minutes ago, Arpy said:

$141 altogether. Not sure I'm that desperate and it won't sell out for another few years so I'll wait.

Yeah LLL have at least 3 sales a year so I'll be holding off for this one. I've still got releases from last year I haven't listened to yet! 

The samples for Inferno sound bloody fantastic though. Mike is a miracle worker! JW must be thrilled hearing his older scores in such clarity, no wonder he's personally requesting these restorations now. 

It was a different situation with Potter, where I didn't care about the price as long as I could get it!

I do want this set, I've never owned any of the three scores before and here they are all in one set! I just can't justify the price right now. :(

10 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I do want this set, I've never owned any of the three scores before and here they are all in one set! I just can't justify the price right now. :(

Especially when you add on the exorbitant overseas shipping, made worse by larger box sets having so many discs. 

6 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I didn't even make it through all the samples before deciding to buy. Looking forward to taking in these three vintage Williams scores for the first time!

I forgot how much The Walls Converge sounds like his Disaster scoring.

2 hours ago, phbart said:

https://johndadlez.com/MP3/JohnWilliamsDisasterCollection/TheToweringInferno/1_24_THE.mp3

Did I hear a "Han Solo and the Princess" at around 0:08?:music:

that's the theme from the End Credits An Architect's Dream

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Hopefully you'll be more lucky this year. :)

Karol

Yeah let's hope so. And if these releases do not arrive in time for Christmas they will be waiting for me when I get back from my holiday trip.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But isn't Santa Clause Finnish?

Alas he is powerless before the might of the international and Finnish postal services. Thanks for the recent postal strike one of my Amazon.de packages arrived in mere 4 weeks last Monday. 

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

The samples do sound fantastic.

I think I'll refrain from listening to those and enjoy the full set as a complete surprise (sound quality-wise) when it arrives. I have basically been waiting for a new release of The Towering Inferno ever since I found out I missed the FSM release nearly two decades ago (Wow it has been really that long!).

I never heard any of it outside of a youtube video of the Inferno main titles. My jaw dropped at the first note of that sample.