John Williams' DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake) 4CD Box Set from La-La Land Records

Chewy

49 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I'm getting the feeling this won't sell out for 2-3 years, and probably even longer! 

I'll get it eventually, of course, but let's face it, this isn't exactly the Jurassic Park or the Harry Potter Collection! 

It's bigger!

19 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

This is bigger. instead of buying one score I really wanted for 200 dollars, I get 3 scores for 74+ dollars.

More expensive, sure, because these are older and OOP. But not bigger. 

49 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

More expensive, sure, because these are older and OOP. But not bigger. 

Bigger, because I was excited to finally own it, been waiting impatiently since it was announced.

4 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I'm getting the feeling this won't sell out for 2-3 years, and probably even longer! 

I'll get it eventually, of course, but let's face it, this isn't exactly the Jurassic Park or the Harry Potter Collection! 

But it never was about popularity, it's about owning some of Williams older scores in one convenient set. I didn't own any of the older releases so this is a nice gift for what it is.

I guess that's what MV meant about people being disappointed by this years releases, because it's not one of those hugely popular releases like Potter or Park, and to expect that type of hype every year sets an unfortunate precedent when scores that are every bit as valuable come out following them.

35 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I guess that's what MV meant about people being disappointed by this years releases

I think MV was being tongue-in-cheek when he said that. These are substantially popular releases that whilst may appeal to the masses, isn't going to please everyone. Because the soundtrack landscape is basically a niche market, history dictates that there are always complaints no matter what the company releases. It's all subjective. Not everyone has the same taste. I'm just glad that this set is available at all let alone in a 5,000 unit limited edition configuration. This should ensure that everyone clamoring for it is able to secure a copy for themselves. I would however be interested in sales figures up to now. Last thing people holding off due to the price need to find out is that it's in danger of selling out. My gut feeling is it will be around for sometime but I wouldn't wait too long to make that purchase.  

Mine arrived today.

Interestingly, there was an extra loose rear insert for Earthquake in the box. Looks like the original rear insert, sealed in the box with the set, mistakenly has the same catalog number as Inferno, 1517. The new one fixes it, and has 1518. However it was loose inside the box, so it's all bent up. I'll stick with the original, though I guess for contractual reasons they had to do up a revised one.

Anyway, cannot WAIT to dive into this set over the weekend!!!!!!

The packaging is stunningly gorgeous in every way!

If anyone has any questions about it, since I have it in hand, feel free to ask.

25 minutes ago, jamesluckard said:

If anyone has any questions about it, since I have it in hand, feel free to ask.

Some nice close-up high resolution pics of the set would be much appreciated! :)

Listening to Inferno first, one of my top 5 favorite scores ever, possibly my favorite score ever. Sounds stunning.

And someone has kindly already uploaded the track titles on iTunes, it recognized my CD. :)

1 hour ago, jamesluckard said:

Thank you, James.  Do the liner notes give any background information about the album track Finale, End Title from Earthquake [track 12]?  The music is not heard in the film (for which the end titles are essentially the film version of The City Sleeps) so I have always wondered if it was a track that John Williams wrote specially for the album, or perhaps an earlier version of the end title music.

25 minutes ago, Omen II said:

Thank you, James.  Do the liner notes give any background information about the album track Finale, End Title from Earthquake [track 12]?  The music is not heard in the film (for which the end titles are essentially the film version of The City Sleeps) so I have always wondered if it was a track that John Williams wrote specially for the album, or perhaps an earlier version of the end title music.

Just a sentence or two, saying it's music written for the film but not ultimately used in it.

Thanks for the pictures, that's great! 

Weird about the Earthquake catalog # mistake. They should had me proofread it! :p

4 hours ago, Amer said:

Did the La-La Land shipping come in a box or a jiffy padded envelope for this set? 

I got Minority Report in a box! 

But then I always message them to please package my CD very carefully, so it won't break in transit. :)

4 hours ago, Amer said:

Did the La-La Land shipping come in a box or a jiffy padded envelope for this set? 

I got HP in a big box and Minority Report in a smaller CD-sized one, but I'm in Australia so they probably take the extra packaging as a precaution.

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Finally shipped a couple of hours ago (along with Stargate). :)

Karol

Ditto!

With some luck it could get here for Christmas (but I am not holding my breath).

11 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Ditto!

With some luck it could get here for Christmas (but I am not holding my breath).

I seriously doubt that! You'll have it some time in January 2020!

As long as it is in the box with extra bubble wrap its fine But even when I asked to put extra bubbles on it avoid any transit breakage etc. My SUPERMAN II/III probably irked the customs dept here in my city and they even opened the seal to see inside the set much to my disappointment. Luckly my HP box set was fine because I had it shipped to my US address instead of my home country. 

On 12/14/2019 at 1:46 PM, jamesluckard said:

I'll do my best, but I can't guarantee amazing results. :)

Also, there are obviously three individual CD sets, so I can't take photos of every side and angle of every one.

That said:

IMG_4544.JPG

IMG_4546.JPG

IMG_4545.JPG

Sorry the pics are kind of terrible, I'm not too great at it, and I'm more focused on the music,  the set looks amazing, beautiful design work. :)

Nice pics. I suppose the box itself is in the same quality as the HP set? 

I don't quite like the fact that on the slipcase the poster of Poseidon is slightly covered up. Makes it seem as though that one is slightly less important than the other two... 

Otherwise, great set! I'll definitely get it next year! 

I've always wished that the artwork for THE TOWERING INFERNO was larger. I remember looking at the poster, on many a Tube station platform, in 1975, and lamenting that it wasn't giant-sized. It's a striking piece of work, by John Berkey.

"What do they call it, when you won't get it, until New Years?".

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

I don't quite like the fact that on the slipcase the poster of Poseidon is slightly covered up. Makes it seem as though that one is slightly less important than the other two... 

Otherwise, great set! I'll definitely get it next year! 

It’s because it has the least amount of score...  😜

So I guess few of you had the occasion to study the new box, you may also have already received and listened to it.

Do we have new information about the OSTs?

Did they where done both usings bits of the real score... Did they were made instead mainly with concert suites (like E.T. OST by example)... or are they truly "Re-recordings" (Like Jaws OST, The Fury OST, etc.)?

p_2081.jpg

Earthquake [Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1974, MCA Records, 2081)

Main Title, "Earthquake"; Miles On Wheels; City Theme; Something For Rosa; Love Scene; The City Sleeps; Love Theme; Cory In Jeopardy; Something For Remy; Medley (Watching & Waiting / Miles' Pool Hall / Sam's Rescue); Finale, End Title. Version with the additional track 'Earthquake: Special Effects' Track 5 Side 2.

p_bs2840.jpg

The Towering Inferno [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1974, Warner Bros. Records, BS 2840)

Main Title; An Architect's Dream; Lisolette And Harlee; Something For Susan; Trapped Lovers; We May Never Love Like This Again (Vocals – Maureen McGovern); Susan And Doug; The Helicopter Explosion; Planting The Charges - And Finale.

4 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Mine just arrived, it also had the correct loose insert for Earthquake in the box, mine was a tad bent but not too bad, but when I pried loose the back clear plastic I did cause a slight crack on it ugh... 

Thank you for the warning (and sorry to learn through your misfortune). I was extra careful with mine (which just arrived a short time ago). It was actually somewhat tricky to get the new insert in there and have the spines lay flat. But all good now.

I found the CDs actually very snug in the slip cover and had to give them a bit of a shake to extract them. But oh my this is a great looking set.

Amazing work everyone who worked on it, and thank you. 

10 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Mine just arrived, it also had the correct loose insert for Earthquake in the box, mine was a tad bent but not too bad, but when I pried loose the back clear plastic I did cause a slight crack on it ugh...  I'll dive into the music tomorrow, the packaging looks great!  They've already found their place on my shelf! :) Thanks @La La Land Records !!!

11.jpg

Oh lucky man! :lovethis:

11 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Mine just arrived, it also had the correct loose insert for Earthquake in the box, mine was a tad bent but not too bad, but when I pried loose the back clear plastic I did cause a slight crack on it ugh...  I'll dive into the music tomorrow, the packaging looks great!  They've already found their place on my shelf! :) Thanks @La La Land Records !!!

11.jpg

What's the Incomplete Indiana Jones Boxset doing there? That doesn't deserve to be on the same shelf as the Complete and Perfect LLL releases! Or in the same room, for that matter! 

14 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

The same could be said for the SE of ANH. Better than IJ but no doubt MM will take it to new levels of awesomeness!

Also for the Jaws CE.

At its time SW: ANH was considered the best restoration of the score when it came out. But that was 1997. As Matessino has already indicated in the DISASTERS podcast that there has been great improvement in the tools and technology since then thus my conclusion is the chances of further upgrading and improving the sound quality would be expected with more than marginal results if not stunning. I still enjoy the RCA Special Edition set because it has the right punch that I would expect from an Eric Tomlinson mix.  Its the most audiophile demo disc from the series .

Was also listening to the Disney remaster of ROTJ today in my car and while I listened to the Anthology  expanded set version of ROTJ- I found the album OST to have have a far better dynamic range - which proves that the technology at hand is far greater and improved.