John Williams' DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake) 4CD Box Set from La-La Land Records

Chewy

11 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

That happened to me with Superman IV, I reached out to them and sent it back and in return for my good deed I got free shipping on my next order, which I used for the HP set, SL, and SUP II/III :)

But who paid for the return postage?

8 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

That happened to me with Superman IV, I reached out to them and sent it back and in return for my good deed I got free shipping on my next order, which I used for the HP set, SL, and SUP II/III :)

What a nice idea. Hell will freeze, before big companies encounter that kind of frugality.

11 minutes ago, FrankV said:

I guess my copy got lost in the mail. Still haven't received it and it's arrived in my country on December 24, 2019. :(

Well that's been sitting in transit for three weeks. Unless somehow it's tied up in customs which unfortunately you really have no control over, I'd be registering a complaint with LLL very shortly.  This long a delay by the postal service is just not good enough. At least the tracking mechanism should be able to provide you with an estimated delivery date so you are at least aware it's on the way!

I got my copy just last Friday (10th of January) and LLL mailed my order on the 14th of December. The tracking worked fine until it became inactive for a long time during the Christmas holidays and showed that the parcel containing both Stargate and the Disaster Movie box had arrived to Sweden on 22nd of December and then another update from Sweden on the 31st of December and then nothing until last week when it had finally arrived to Finland. This might be the longest delivery time for a LLL package I have ever had but then again my package sat at the Stockholm airport for more than a week during the holidays, which is something LLL has no control over of course.

6 hours ago, FrankV said:

I can finally pick it up tomorrow at a pickup point nearby. :lol: It was a long wait. The longest ever as far as I can recall.

Frank there's no doubt you've waited long enough but in the final analysis I just know that you will be happy with this fantastic set. 

3 hours ago, Drew said:

Does the remastered "Love Scene" cue from Earthquake have a skip in it or was it just my CD rip?

Where is the skip? I didn't notice anything. 

On 1/17/2020 at 5:23 AM, FrankV said:

I got an unexpected update today. My copy is finally in the hands of the Dutch postal service. Now I only need to know when they are going to deliver it.

Do the Dutch have the worst postal system in the world? I always seem to read only the Dutch complaining... 

10 hours ago, MainTitle said:

Frank there's no doubt you've waited long enough but in the final analysis I just know that you will be happy with this fantastic set. 

I am. Listening to it now. :music:

12 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Do the Dutch have the worst postal system in the world? I always seem to read only the Dutch complaining... 

I don't know, but it got worse in the past few years. Probably the reason why Screen Archives charges $ 48,- plus shipping for orders to The Netherlands if we want to track it and to receive a new copy if it gets lost in the mail.

3 minutes ago, FrankV said:

I don't know, but it got worse in the past few years.

That said, I was in Germany a few months ago, when I ordered MR. It took 6 weeks or so to arrive. The post office hadn't delivered it and had forgotten to leave me a note that it had arrived. Maybe it's generally a European thing. 

10 minutes ago, Sandor said:

I got my copy, but got an extra back-inlay from Earthquake... Anyone know what the deal is with that..? 

The extra back-inlay has the correct catalogue number.

Just now, FrankV said:

The extra back-inlay has the correct catalogue number.

I just read it a few pages back, but thanks for answering! 

2 hours ago, Sandor said:

Yes, we do. 

Hmmm, according to this survey, the worst postal services in Europe are those of... 

1. Italy

2. Poland

3. Sweden

https://www.postcrossing.com/blog/2017/11/14/poll-results-rate-your-country-s-postal-service

10 hours ago, Brian99_1 said:

Do we know, even roughly, if these 3 scores are complete here?

Earthquake is not complete, as it does not include several source music cues composed by John Williams, approximately eight minutes of which are audible in the theatrical version of the film.

As far as dramatic underscore goes, I think everything is included on the new CD but I would have to watch the film again to be sure (I have not watched it since I received the wonderful new CD set).  My uncertainty stems from the fact that there are a few scenes scored with music tracked from elsewhere in the film - the scene early in the film when Dr. Adams is buried alive is tracked mostly with music for The Death of Jody but I think there was music tracked from another cue as well.  Also late in the film the scenes where the Mulholland Dam bursts and floods the city are tracked with music from A Crack In The Dam, Motordrome and some of the cues featuring Jody's motif, but again I would have to rewatch the film anew to check if all the music is accounted for elsewhere.

There are definitely several source music cues missing from the set, however.  First up is some easily listening jazz heard in the supermarket where Jody works (audible for about 38 seconds).  Interestingly, the cue was also heard in one of the additional scenes shot for the expanded TV version a few years later, as Rosa listens to the radio while she applies her make up in her apartment before an unexpected visit from the creepy Jody.

Next is a groovy pop cue heard as Lew Slade (George Kennedy) drowns his sorrows in the bar.  The cue is audible for about 32 seconds in the movie.  Immediately following that is a lengthy [1:47] source cue for a bar room brawl, the music featuring saxophone and hammond organ and sounding a little like Tom Scott's Starsky and Hutch theme.  The same source cue can be heard again in the additional scene shot for the TV version mentioned above, as Rosa changes channels on the radio.

The film version of Miles' Pool Hall is also not included.  While the full album rerecording is included, the film version [1:46] is markedly different from the album version.  Following that is another great piece of Williams source music [1:18] featuring hammond organ as Slade admires Rosa's T-shirt in the bar.  You can hear both of these cues in this clip:

Later in the film another piece of source music is played on solo guitar by one of the survivors in the Wilson Plaza.  The music is heard when Walter Matthau's drunkard dances and again a little later when Remy (Ava Gardner) asks after her father's condition.  While I am not 100% certain that the guitar cue is by John Williams, I do not recognise it from elsewhere and think it likely to be by Williams unless anyone knows any better.  Completists will also have noticed the absence of the Hare Krishna chant and a brief snippet of Dee Barton's music for High Plains Drifter, the movie that Rosa is watching when the earthquake begins.  Producer Jennings Lang worked on both Universal movies, so the latter was a nice bit of 'product placement'.  The Hare Krishna scene permitted a little in-joke at actor Marjoe Gortner's expense, as he had risen to fame as a child evangelist:

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does THE TOWERING INFERNO include the music that plays on the boy's headphones, as he's talking with Lisolette, during the art class?

This Williams scored piece was definitely part of the audio elements and listed on the official cue sheet as "Headset Leakage" (which is repeated during the initial bedroom rescue scene) but as the cue is only a few seconds long, Producer Mike M. made the judicious decision not present it to JW and his management for approval. And I believe this to be the correct decision as not only is it simply ear candy but in the grand scheme of things not even missed. 

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"Not even missed"? "Not even missed"??!!

You person, you! You young whippersnapper!

There it is then: THE TOWERING INFERNO is not complete.

Richard...for the win :rock2: :D

Well I can assure you I'm no young whippersnapper!

LOL. 

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 1:05 PM, MainTitle said:

This Williams scored piece was definitely part of the audio elements and listed on the official cue sheet as "Headset Leakage" (which is repeated during the initial bedroom rescue scene) but as the cue is only a few seconds long, Producer Mike M. made the judicious decision not present it to JW and his management for approval. And I believe this to be the correct decision as not only is it simply ear candy but in the grand scheme of things not even missed. 

I don't know the movie or score, but really do not understand this attitude. Everyoen can decide for themselves if a piece of music can be missed or not. No one should decide that for me.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't know the movie or score, but really do not understand this attitude. Everyoen can decide for themselves if a piece of music can be missed or not. No one should decide that for me.

I guess Mike knew that JW wouldn't have wanted it released.

8 hours ago, mstrox said:

MM leaves the dumb jangly filler source music off of his releases as a personal favor to me.  I told him to stick the Superman ones where the sun don't shine, so he did.

Haha that's funny! At least in the case of this superb 40th Anniversary edition of Superman the various source cues were separated into the reissue of SII/III mstrox! Did you get them as well even if just for C&C purposes?

36 minutes ago, MainTitle said:

Haha that's funny! At least in the case of this superb 40th Anniversary edition of Superman the various source cues were separated into the reissue of SII/III mstrox! Did you get them as well even if just for C&C purposes?

I would assume he did not, based on his comment.

2 hours ago, MainTitle said:

Nah, I had those actual scores from the Blue Box and the S:TM source music is bad and doesn’t fit with the score, so I passed.

So much of the Earthquake score is already semi-source music in style so I don't miss any excluded actual source pieces on the Disaster Movies box (or Superman for that matter). Williams doesn't usually like to have them released and I can entirely see that from the composer's point of view. Sure from the completist point of view I certainly can understand how it galls when they leave those pieces off a release but quite frankly apart from a very few, I personally rarely listen to those anyway. Perhaps one day all these preserved but not released source music pieces are finally presented in some form or another to those who miss them.

Umm...seriously?

I received today LLL email with minority report back in stock. So I'm going to order it alongside the disaster box...and wonder what?

Now the disaster box is out of stock.

Yeah, I found the same thing out last week when I had finally scraped together the cash for it.  I'm not gonna creep on the LLL page waiting for it - I just placed a pre-order at SAE.  They say they think it will be in stock in February, for what it's worth.