John Williams' DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake) 4CD Box Set from La-La Land Records

Chewy

It's not OOP yet, though. It's just temporarily out of stock, so it'll soon be available again... 

Hopefully. 

8 hours ago, King Mark said:

Great I ordered from SAE and they'll probably be out of stock for months like Superman

Didn't MV say something the other day about them being slow because of processing all the wholesale orders? Maybe that means SAE are getting some stock in. Fingers crossed. :)

Karol

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Indeed. That's a peculiar description of that one (I can sorta see it with the other two).

Agreed. In fact, THE TOWERING INFERNO was, probably, his "largest" score, up until that point.

Williams and Robson - wisely - chose not to underscore the 'quake sequences, so what's left is pure drama.

If I could sum up THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE's score, in one word, it would be "determined".

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Williams and Robson - wisely - chose not to underscore the 'quake sequences, so what's left is pure drama.

Lackluster and silly drama, but yes.

If I could sum up THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE's score, in one word, it would be "determined".

Low-register drones would be mine (although that's three words, technically). But very fitting for the film; by far the best of the three.

10 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Because two words are hyphenated, that's only two :)

You've no love for THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE?

The score? No, not really. Except maybe a track or two. The film? Oh, yes. Great film. The first modern distaster film, really (note: not the first disaster film, but the first modern disaster film).

• 2 weeks later...

When might the Williams' Disaster Box come back?

Honestly probably later this year. We will not be repressing any box sets or any 3rd party titles until we figure out if we still have a company in the coming months...or customer base to sell to. What we have in stock is pretty much it for the foreseeable future.

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=32&r=500#bottom

I don't really see how the coronavirus is greatly impacting production of c.d.'s for a collector's market that you can only buy online. Everyone's home and bored and have more time to buy them and listen to them unless your broke because of this. He's talking like were all gonna be dead in a few months.

I waited a long time for Superman because they pressed only  a few copies at a time. It's a limited edition but it  should be be in stock for an acceptable period of time . Limited 3000  is like Limited 1000 and hope we press more eventually.

And I committed to SAE when LLL got a copies a week later on their site

Yeah, I don't want to criticise their business model or anything, but what I never understood is why

1. they don't print more than 5000 copies of things we clearly all want (JW, Titanic etc)

2. they don't make sure those items are in stock in times like these

3. they didn't consider moving their big end-of-year-titles to March or April to maximise sales. I'm aware this would have involved pressing them, but the coronavirus has been going around since December, plenty of time for everyone to predict the future.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

This is how every limited edition release from every specialty label has always worked.  The difference is in the late 90s and early 2000s, CDs were still the primary way people purchased music, and there were CD pressing plants all over the country constantly pressing CDs, and the specialty labels could get more of their boutique releases printed pretty quickly.  Now in 2020 there are, I believe (apologies if this number isn't exactly right) 5 pressing plants left in the entire continent, so EVERY release takes much longer to come in once the order is placed - and the remaining ones charge more than they used to in the past because their business is dying.

Yeah but now we not only have to worry to make the order in time for the entire limited run, but to be in  the "first batch" of pressed c.d.'s or we might never get it

There's a very easy way to avoid all that worry: Order it the day it becomes available to purchase.  Simple.

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's a very easy way to avoid all that worry: Order it the day it becomes available to purchase.  Simple.

don't make excuses for them .I paid for a copy that's supposed to be in print  and now I might or might not get it .This is terrible

And if LLL gets more I still can't cancel SAE

Yes Mark, the current global pandemic is causing changes to previous normalcy.    That doesn't change the fact that you chose to order from SAE instead of directly from LLL, nor that SAE chose to take your order despite not having any stock on hand.  LLL had nothing to do with that at all.  

I understand they might not want to press copies for new orders at the moment, but they could at least do their best to print copies for those that already bought it before the pandemic thing from another retailer. These are supposed to be "committed" copies

On 4/2/2020 at 7:04 PM, Jay said:

Not everyone has cash lying around for that Jay.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Not everyone has cash lying around for that Jay.

Well, if you set aside $10-$20 (or whatever) per month, then when a release is announced you will have the necessary funds to buy it on day 1.  It's called a budget. :) 

7 hours ago, Jay said:

And again, Mark, it was SAE that chose to take your order despite not having any stock on hand, LLL had nothing to do with them deciding they would do that.  LLL of course WANTS to order more copies from the printing plants, both to sell on their own website as well as send to SAE and other third party stores who they do business with, but they literally can't right now.

I was under the impression that all these specialty soundtrack sites worked hand in hand, that if you buy it from SAE , then LLL would supply SAE orders before putting a bunch of copies for sales on their own site

53 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I was under the impression that all these specialty soundtrack sites worked hand in hand, that if you buy it from SAE , then LLL would supply SAE orders before putting a bunch of copies for sales on their own site

The other sites usually have the those new titles on order immediately after the labels announce the. But then they have to wait for at least 1-2 weeks before they arrive in stock. I find that LLL has to start catering to its client base first and lately because of the low volumes from the plant. 

11 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Well, if you set aside $10-$20 (or whatever) per month, then when a release is announced you will have the necessary funds to buy it on day 1.  It's called a budget. :) 

Except that these releases end up costing some of us $40-50 because of a weak exchange rate, high shipping costs and customs duties/VAT. Food prices have doubled in the past 5-6 years in my country, VAT has increased, petrol hikes happen virtually every month and our imports become more and more expensive each year.

6 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Except that these releases end up costing some of us $40-50 because of a weak exchange rate, high shipping costs and customs duties/VAT. Food prices have doubled in the past 5-6 years in my country, VAT has increased, petrol hikes happen virtually every month and our imports become more and more expensive each year.

Exactly, which is why we have to conceptually change how much we set aside for this hobby of ours. Things just aren't the same as they were 30 years ago

7 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Disaster box + Far and a way =172$ Canadian  , that's double the retail price of the releases in US dollars

Yes, different currencies have different values and different countries have different salaries based on that. Welcome to the planet.

7 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Which is why I said "or whatever" for how much you choose to set aside.  I don't have a money tree in my backyard either, and inflation and import costs are a factor in any corner of the globe, USA included.  While I don't presume to know your or anyone else's financial situation (esp in these times), I do believe that a vast majority of people in this world do not keep a simple to follow budget for expenses on a monthly basis.  "Budget" has a bad connotation for a lot of folks, but you can actually budget in "blow money" to do fun stuff (hobbies included) as long as you are able to take care of the necessities (home, food, electricity, etc...).  If you have the desire to purchase 6-12 soundtrack releases during the calendar year, then set aside an amount you're comfortable with for this purpose.  Have some money left over at the end of the year due to a lack of desirable releases?  Great!  Then roll that money over for the following year.

Now, speaking for myself, my soundtrack purchases are limited to ones that I actually care about, so it's mostly JW releases but also some other composers for movies from my childhood and adult years that spark the nostalgia factor.  This definitely helps control how much I spend on soundtracks and allows me to (for the most part) buy an item on day 1 of its release.

47 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

money tree

I love those!

33 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

It's just entertainment anyway, it's not life and death stuff. Who actually cares.

Yeah. Who listens to background music from films anyway?

If I get it in a few months fine but the way it's worded it's like they might never press more copies . I'd like them to reassure me I'll get it eventually for sure