John Williams' DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake) 4CD Box Set from La-La Land Records

Chewy

4 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Which is why I said "or whatever" for how much you choose to set aside.  I don't have a money tree in my backyard either, and inflation and import costs are a factor in any corner of the globe, USA included.  While I don't presume to know your or anyone else's financial situation (esp in these times), I do believe that a vast majority of people in this world do not keep a simple to follow budget for expenses on a monthly basis.  "Budget" has a bad connotation for a lot of folks, but you can actually budget in "blow money" to do fun stuff (hobbies included) as long as you are able to take care of the necessities (home, food, electricity, etc...).  If you have the desire to purchase 6-12 soundtrack releases during the calendar year, then set aside an amount you're comfortable with for this purpose.  Have some money left over at the end of the year due to a lack of desirable releases?  Great!  Then roll that money over for the following year.

Now, speaking for myself, my soundtrack purchases are limited to ones that I actually care about, so it's mostly JW releases but also some other composers for movies from my childhood and adult years that spark the nostalgia factor.  This definitely helps control how much I spend on soundtracks and allows me to (for the most part) buy an item on day 1 of its release.

Fully agree. I only buy specialty label stuff I really, really want and never ever waste money on OSTs anymore. That means I buy about 2 releases a year. Shipping is totally insane, yes, but I can afford it because I buy sensibly.

It’s a hobby. And an expensive one.

But I understand KM’s frustration. You want something and you’re ready to pay for it, and it’s so close you can taste it - and then, by happenstance, it’s yanked away.

Kinda like buying concerts tickets and then you miss out.

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

If I get it in a few months fine but the way it's worded it's like they might never press more copies . I'd like them to reassure me I'll get it eventually for sure

If you've been paying attention you'd know MV tends to be pessimistic in situations like this. His house burned down in the California wildfires a few years back so I don't blame him. 

Eventually small businesses like theirs will thrive again, releases will be finalized and released, income will fund repressings of out of stock titles. Just gotta be patient while this, you know, global pandemic continues to impact things. 

• 1 month later...

Just noticed something (sorry if it has been mentioned already).

It's not anything important but

The Poseidon Adventure is LLLCD 1516.

Both The Towering Inferno and Earthquake read in their spine: LLLCD1517.

32 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Just noticed something (sorry if it has been mentioned already).

It's not anything important but

The Poseidon Adventure is LLLCD 1516.

Both The Towering Inferno and Earthquake read in their spine: LLLCD1517.

Yeah it's been mentioned already. LLL normally sends the fixed spine with the boxset, separately (though I didn't get it in my MusicBox Records order).

24 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Yeah it's been mentioned already. LLL normally sends the fixed spine with the boxset, separated (though I didn't get it in my MusicBox Records order).

Oh, I see. Yes, I got this boxset through MusicBox Records too...

Finished the Earthquake and The Poseidon Adventure.

Does anyone share the opinion that Williams in these scores was bolder than later action scores? Mostly texture and orchestration-wise...

• 1 month later...

MV, what about the John Williams disaster movies box set, when is that expected to be back?

any day now

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=34&r=810#bottom

Back in stock!

LALALANDrecLogoNew.jpg

LA-LA LAND RECORDS
www.lalalandrecords.com

BACK IN STOCK - DISASTER MOVIE COLLECTION - MUSIC BY JOHN WILLIAMS

The JOHN WILLIAMS DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (4-CD SET) is back in stock and available now! Stay safe and well, everyone... and listen to some great movie music!

Additionally, Maestro Willilams' SUPERMAN THE MOVIE - REMASTERED 40th ANNIVERSARY (3-CD SET) is also currently in stock and available!

Thanks for all the support of our label!

La-La Land

Disaster-SQ-Emailt.jpg SupermanTheMovieHiResiTunes-Email.jpg

© 2020 La-La Land Records. All rights reserved.

lalalandrecords.com
150 S. Glenoaks Blvd. #9252
Burbank California 91502
United States

Does anyone know why Poseidon Adventure didn't receive modern transfers for this box set? The score sounds a bit muddier than the comparatively bright and detailed presentations of Towering Inferno and Earthquake (which both sound like modern recordings!)

Is this just a problem with the source material and a subpar recording? Are the elements lost or degraded beyond repair? Just surprised they didn't pull the elements and transfer them anew using modern technology.

Fox is one of the easiest studios to work with, it's never a problem to get elements transferred from them. IIRC the elements deteriorated after the old transfer and there's nothing left to try transferring again. It is what it is

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Fox is one of the easiest studios to work with, it's never a problem to get elements transferred from them. IIRC the elements deteriorated after the old transfer and there's nothing left to try transferring again. It is what it is

I'm assuming that was pre-Disney acquisition? Because Mike made reference to Fox being a lot trickier now that Disney has ownership of their catalog, in his 2019 interview with Maurizio.

I got the impression Disney are busy auditing all the materials they've acquired and won't be concerning themselves with soundtrack expansions anytime soon.

As for Poseidon, that downright sucks. Hopefully a cautionary tale to any studio that foolishly sits on these scores and doesn't archive them properly/preserve them with modern TRANSFERS while the elements are still intact.

I think it's funny people still say scans when referring to analog audio. They are transfers, not scans. Scanning is for visual media. 

Disney had absolutely nothing in the world to do with the disaster box, or any Fox expansion that's ever come out (to date). 

There are still titles licensed from Fox years ago that haven't been released yet afaik, that Disney will still have nothing to do with. Their impact would be for any licenses requested after everything was official, and I don't think any label head has specifically discussed anything to do with that. All they said was once they knew the acquisition would happen, they licensed everything they could from Fox before it was too late. That was years ago now, and I don't think all those titles are out yet.

I have not seen any information online about whether the physical elements would be transferred from Fox's buildings to Disney's or not.  I don't know how that works.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think it's funny people still say scans when referring to analog audio. They are transfers, not scans. Scanning is for visual media. 

Slip of the tongue, old habits die hard.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

IIRC the elements deteriorated after the old transfer and there's nothing left to try transferring again. It is what it is

From the liner notes of the 2010 release, I remember reading that the 35mm 6-track mag was archived to 2" 24-track tape in 1998 for safekeeping (and was eventually the source used for the first LLL CD). I can understand if the mag deteriorated beyond repair, but the 2" tape was also damaged?? Damn

I'm just going off memory, don't remember specifics. And MM's podcast episode about the box with Maurizio didn't go into the weeds in these details really

On 7/2/2020 at 6:13 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

Weren't the tapes for Poseidon already in a bad state when FSM did their release?

Were new transfers made for LLL's 2010 release?

Yes.

LLL was able to restore some previously mono tracks to STEREO.

But, the main reason this version sounds different  than FSM is added revetb.

TPA was released in momo.

TI had a 70mm engagement so there were better sources

On 7/6/2020 at 7:10 PM, King Mark said:

Hmm, no news of shipping by SAE

And my package from LLL (SL.SPR and HA) is stuck in the mail since may 30th 

My package from La-La Land has finally arrived after 3,5 months!!!

So you will propably wait another month... or two... or three...

On 7/2/2020 at 8:25 AM, crumbs said:

Does anyone know why Poseidon Adventure didn't receive modern transfers for this box set? The score sounds a bit muddier than the comparatively bright and detailed presentations of Towering Inferno and Earthquake (which both sound like modern recordings!)

Is this just a problem with the source material and a subpar recording? Are the elements lost or degraded beyond repair? Just surprised they didn't pull the elements and transfer them anew using modern technology.

Up until this release, I always thought the 1995 mono bootleg sounded the best. Certainly better than the 1998 and 2010 releases.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

My most recent LLL order has been stuck in Tokyo(!) for a month now!

Maybe the delivery guy thought it was up for an Olympic medal... only to find out the Olympic games were postponed.

19 hours ago, King Mark said:

I still have that c.d. somewhere

The 2010 release makes it sound like it was recorded inside the submarine after the wreck.

I received my box set.

For the first time ever I had to pay tax (10$) + a 10$ "handling charge" (not duty, fees by the post office so they can send the collected tax to the government.. what a ripoff.. like paying 200% tax)

anyone from Canada got hit? SAE wrote the full value on the package though

7 hours ago, King Mark said:

anyone from Canada got hit? SAE wrote the full value on the package though

Also in Canada, I ordered it direct from La la land back in Jan and did not get hit with that “handling charge” in fact I’ve never gotten that before.