Jump to content

John Williams' DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION (Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, Earthquake) 4CD Box Set from La-La Land Records


Chewy

Recommended Posts

The biggest problem is that across all, what, 5 releases, the best sounding versions of all cues are spread across every release. It's a total mess. So you basically need to use every release to assemble the best sounding chronology of each score. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

I don’t get it. You took the disaster movies out of the box and just keep the empty box on top?

 

But not IJ or HP?


the IKEA shelves are narrow 😂 

 

 

 

 

5BBA39DD-D73A-4099-9E8A-B9B81758FA78.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine just got delivered. Literally not a second too soon. I was waiting for it all morning and was about to leave the house and not come back until late afternoon/evening. So would have missed it. I kept delaying for as long as I could because otherwise I wouldn't be able to collect it before going away for Christmas break tomorrow morning. The very second I opened the door postman walked up and handed me the box. That was lucky! 😆

 

Karol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Mine just got delivered. Literally not a second too soon. I was waiting for it all morning and was about to leave the house and not come back until late afternoon/evening. So would have missed it. I kept delaying for as long as I could because otherwise I wouldn't be able to collect it before going away for Christmas break tomorrow morning. The very second I opened the door postman walked up and handed me the box. That was lucky! 😆

 

Karol

 

It sounds like you just prevented a disaster.

 

On 12/17/2019 at 3:03 PM, ATXHusker said:


the IKEA shelves are narrow 😂 

 

 

 

 

5BBA39DD-D73A-4099-9E8A-B9B81758FA78.jpeg

 

You gotta fix the inlay on AotC!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2019 at 9:03 AM, ATXHusker said:


the IKEA shelves are narrow 😂 

 

 

 

 

5BBA39DD-D73A-4099-9E8A-B9B81758FA78.jpeg

 

You can't do that!

 

Is there any replacement disc or everything is okay this time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Amer said:

 

 

So hows STARGATE improved sound etc? 

 

With all of the music that has arrived in the past two weeks (not complaining!), amazingly I have only listened to 4 tracks of Stargate. It sounds loads better to me based on my memory. Have not A-B compared it yet.

 

(And I've listened to none of Voyager or the Western scores at all!)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Enjoy the box set! It is a joy. And really, assuming you have access to streaming TROS on YouTube, Spotify etc you are good. There is so much music in the box set, that I am still overwhelmed with the JW goodness.

 

Happy holidays!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2019 at 10:43 AM, jamesluckard said:

 

Just a sentence or two, saying it's music written for the film but not ultimately used in it.

This is the quote: "Williams expanded the material to include a new arrangement of his "city theme"; a revised version of his finale, retitled The City Sleeps; and included music written for, but not ultimately used, in the film (Finale, End Title)."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've learned to read those. "Processed Through Facility" seems to refer to whatever facility it passes through on the way to the actual customs office (or customs storage). "Customs Clearance" means that it arrived there. And "Held in Customs" can last from a few days to 4 weeks plus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've learned to read those. "Processed Through Facility" seems to refer to whatever facility it passes through on the way to the actual customs office (or customs storage). "Customs Clearance" means that it arrived there. And "Held in Customs" can last from a few days to 4 weeks plus.

 

For a recent purchase, I have had my package sent to Germany. It took me about 6 weeks to get it. No, record company did everything correctly, it's just that the post office where I stayed kept the package for 4 weeks (it was held about two weeks in customs before that), then neglected to leave a note telling me that it had arrived. 

 

On top of that, I had the pay almost 20 Euros customs fee (or whatever you call it). 

 

Whatever. That's just the way it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Poseidon sounds great. The best it can possibly sound considering Mattesino was working with the original tapes. I believe he also had other sources to work with incl material from the Irwin Allen Estate and he has worked wonders. I've always loved the score for Poseidon cos it's so dark.
      A friend said he hardly played the old FSM disc because it did sound tinny. Well its not tinny now. Even the two partial Mono tracks sound fine. You'll hear the sonic improvement in my favourite moment from the score which is a phobic section from
1:53 - 2:38 in track 15 "Hold your Breath" with beautiful low Harps Bassoons and Bass Clarinets.
   Inferno sounds equally magic. One of my favourite tracks of the whole score (which was relegated with a few other damaged tracks to the end of the old FSM disc) "Departmental Pride and the Cat' is now pristine. Strangely I'm kind of disappointed with the thrilling Main Title on Disc 1 which I think must be my favourite opening track of any Williams score. It sounds good but not that much better than the old release. I guess the recording set up. In the 20th Century Fox studios (?) was a bit dry. Still there's an alternate Main Title on Disc 2 which I haven't heard yet so am hoping the sonics are as good with that as the stellar sound of the rest of the main score. Also kind of wish Lalaland had moved the early lounge tracks to the source music section of Disc 2. Lastly the first "Mono" source cue I've heard (and one of the handful of lost cues making their debut here) doesn't sound Mono at all. Sounds totally brilliant.
       There's a previously unreleased  "Mono" track #20 "Out of the Shaft" on the main score on Disc 1. Its wonderful and just the kind of thing I was hoping for with this new release. Just that thrilling mid 70s sense of wonder when you are a kid going to the pictures to see a Hollywood movie. The mystique of the American dream. How do they do it Martin? Or rather how did they do it? Cos its gone now. Finished.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, stravinsky said:


 Strangely I'm kind of disappointed with the thrilling Main Title on Disc 1 which I think must be my favourite opening track of any Williams score. It sounds good but not that much better than the old release. I guess the recording set up. In the 20th Century Fox studios (?) was a bit dry. Still there's an alternate Main Title on Disc 2 which I haven't heard yet so am hoping the sonics are as good with that as the stellar sound of the rest of the main score. Also kind of wish Lalaland had moved the early lounge tracks to the source music section of Disc 2.

 

1: The stereo field on the Main title sounds so much better on the LLL compared to the FSM, that wierd jump in the strings is no longer there.

2: Can't really get rid of the formal introductions to the main love themes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

1: The stereo field on the Main title sounds so much better on the LLL compared to the FSM, that wierd jump in the strings is no longer there.

2: Can't really get rid of the formal introductions to the main love themes.

Thanks for that. Am now exploring Earthquake which is equally exciting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I encourage everyone who has any comments about the actual musical content of these great new releases to start those kinds of discussions in the individual music threads:

 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30999-the-towering-inferno-lll-music-discussion/

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31000-the-poseidon-adventure-lll-music-discussion/

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31001-earthquake-lll-music-discussion/

 

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. It's been in The Netherlands since December 24th, but not yet delivered to me. Hopefully it isn't lost. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2020 at 10:17 AM, FrankV said:

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. It's been in The Netherlands since December 24th, but not yet delivered to me. Hopefully it isn't lost. :(

 

I've been the in same boat. But I just checked the tracking and it took just over two weeks to clear customs! Of course that was over the holidays. But it's now listed as having arrived at the post office, so it seems it will be delivered in the next day or so.

 

Since you're overseas, I'd say it's probably still on its way. Just check the tracking link they give you to see if there's any more info.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's with that additional Earthquake inlay? The only differences between the two that I can see is the LLLCD number, the bar code, and the slightly different colour.

 

20200110_151927.jpg

 

20200110_151913.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jay said:

You answered your own question


I don't think that a minuscule variation on the color is enough of a reason to release a separate inlay. Then again, I haven't bought much from LLL Records in the past, so maybe they are nuts, and I am not aware of that yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The reason isn't the color, it's the other two reasons you  mentioned.  They sent a version with the the wrong catalog number and UPC to the printers, which got put in the shrinkwrapped copies, so then they printed out a fixed one.  Simple as that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.