David Arnold's STARGATE (1994) - 2019 2CD La-la Land Records edition

Jay

Dear customers,

Thanks so much for your support of our label. We want to update you on some short shipping delays.

Due to unexpected manufacturer delays, stock is arriving a litter later on our Black Friday announced titles than originally scheduled. We will begin shipping the DISASTER SOUNDTRACK JOHN WILLIAMS SET and VOYAGER VOL 2 on December 10th. Orders that contain KARATE KID, STARGATE and the PARAMOUNT WESTERN COLLECTION are scheduled to begin shipping on December 16th.

Rest assured, we will be working very hard and will have all customer orders received by December 19 shipped out before we close our shipping department for the holidays. As previously stated, any online orders placed 12/20-1/1 will begin shipping out when we reopen on 1/2.

Thank you so much for your patronage and your patience and we wish you all a happy and safe holidays!

Best,
La-La Land Records

I wonder if LLL should just bite the bullet and move their final batch to early November, rather than leaving it so late at BF, to accommodate for these (increasingly frequent) manufacturing delays. As CD manufacturing continues to shrink, these delays will only get worse, pushing everything further into the December postal rush.

It really screws overseas customers because there's no chance that Dec 16th batch arrives by Christmas (especially with all the public holidays delaying things further).

The solution is to finish the work and get them to the plants sooner, not change when they announce them.  It's tradition to announce them on BF!

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this too. For some reason I read it as 12/12. Silly inverted US date formats. :lol:

It is still possible that I might receive my order before going away home for Christmas but that is only if it ships by Monday and nothing delays it. If not, I will have something to look forward to after Christmas when I come back. Either way, I win.

Karol

Glad I saw this discussion. Somehow I thought Stargate was shipping out on the 10th and I've been getting anxious waiting for it and my Disaster box.

Only a couple of days before it starts shipping. I am REALLY looking forward to getting my copy. I've been wanting to have this score in true complete form for years. Especially since the half assed "Deluxe Edition" Varèse.

11 hours ago, Trent B said:

Only a couple of days before it starts shipping. I am REALLY looking forward to getting my copy. I've been wanting to have this score in true complete form for years. Especially since the half assed "Deluxe Edition" Varèse.

You and me both...thankfully a friend is gifting me a copy. I couldn't have been able to get it otherwise. 

Got mine yesterday also. Sounds great to me.

Reading the notes, it appears some restoration was necessary from analog backups to fill in some sample gaps in the digital source tapes, which degraded over time.

I couldn't pick it up with my tin ears, so well done Neil S. Bulk and Company.

THE SOUND QUALITY ON THIS IS FANTASTIC!

The military theme (or whatever it's called) at the end of Unstable (Film Version) is very very cool, something I've wanted since seeing the film!

In Case You Succeed is a nice little cue

Orion (Film Version) is like the album version but part of it is repeated.  I assume it was recorded this way to fit the scene, and not actually looped by the film's music editor

Send In The Probe is really cool!  Nice to have something so mysterious early on in the presentation, it really helps the overall experience.  The warm ending with some ethnic instrument and some nice choir work is awesome!

Entering The Stargate (Film Version) Not sure what's different from the album version off the top of my head

King Of The Slaves (Film Version) Not sure what's different from the album version off the top of my head

Spread Out Wow, this was a really really cool cue, I liked it a lot!  A part in the middle reminded me a bit of Silvestri's The Abyss.  Overall a nice exercise in mounting tension!

Skaara and Gun Nice little cue

Sarcophagus Opens (With Choir) This was AWESOME, I LOVED the choir!

Daniel's Mastadge (Film Version) Seemed to be more or less the same as the album version but orchestrated slightly differently, especially towards the beginning?

Leaving Nagada (Film Version) Not sure what's different from the album version off the top of my head, perhaps some different orchestration a little under 3 minutes in?

Ra - The Sun God (Film Version) Wow pretty nifty choral chanting here!!  I love it

Battle at the Pyramid (Film Version) Heh, pretty surprising little moment around 45 seconds in.  At least one other difference I noticed later

The Stargate Opens (Alternate Excerpt) Basically the same until the end, which is a nice different ending I enjoyed

The Eye of Ra (With Choir) Wow!  More awesome choir!  I loved it, I'll be putting this version in my main program for sure

Ra - The Sun God (Film Version Excerpt, No Choir) Basically the beginning of the cue as heard in the main program, but without the choir so you can hear the orchestral detail

End Credits (Alternate Take) Basically a slightly different, I suppose less interesting version of the end credits than the film/main program version

So happy this is out, this is a great release!

And again....THE SOUND QUALITY ON THIS IS FANTASTIC!

I dunno man, I'm no audiophile.  It just sounds really good to me.  Can you not tell via the samples on La La Land's website?

On 12/21/2019 at 7:10 AM, Jay said:

I dunno man, I'm no audiophile.  It just sounds really good to me.  Can you not tell via the samples on La La Land's website?

I didn't have the OST at hand to compare with, but I can't remember to have had any issues with it. I'm not an audiophile either, but I do appreciate when significantly better sounding releases are made.

I hope Natascha Atlas's vocals on 'Giza,1928' are mixed better than the previous albums. They were so low and buried in the orchestra specially the old Milan album. I hope they are brought out more in the front. She has such a lovely voice.

On 12/20/2019 at 10:02 PM, Jay said:

THE SOUND QUALITY ON THIS IS FANTASTIC!

The military theme (or whatever it's called) at the end of Unstable (Film Version) is very very cool, something I've wanted since seeing the film!

In Case You Succeed is a nice little cue

Orion (Film Version) is like the album version but part of it is repeated.  I assume it was recorded this way to fit the scene, and not actually looped by the film's music editor

Send In The Probe is really cool!  Nice to have something so mysterious early on in the presentation, it really helps the overall experience.  The warm ending with some ethnic instrument and some nice choir work is awesome!

Entering The Stargate (Film Version) Not sure what's different from the album version off the top of my head

King Of The Slaves (Film Version) Not sure what's different from the album version off the top of my head

Spread Out Wow, this was a really really cool cue, I liked it a lot!  A part in the middle reminded me a bit of Silvestri's The Abyss.  Overall a nice exercise in mounting tension!

Skaara and Gun Nice little cue

Sarcophagus Opens (With Choir) This was AWESOME, I LOVED the choir!

Daniel's Mastadge (Film Version) Seemed to be more or less the same as the album version but orchestrated slightly differently, especially towards the beginning?

Leaving Nagada (Film Version) Not sure what's different from the album version off the top of my head, perhaps some different orchestration a little under 3 minutes in?

Ra - The Sun God (Film Version) Wow pretty nifty choral chanting here!!  I love it

Battle at the Pyramid (Film Version) Heh, pretty surprising little moment around 45 seconds in.  At least one other difference I noticed later

The Stargate Opens (Alternate Excerpt) Basically the same until the end, which is a nice different ending I enjoyed

The Eye of Ra (With Choir) Wow!  More awesome choir!  I loved it, I'll be putting this version in my main program for sure

Ra - The Sun God (Film Version Excerpt, No Choir) Basically the beginning of the cue as heard in the main program, but without the choir so you can hear the orchestral detail

End Credits (Alternate Take) Basically a slightly different, I suppose less interesting version of the end credits than the film/main program version

So happy this is out, this is a great release!

And again....THE SOUND QUALITY ON THIS IS FANTASTIC!

A few corrections and additions:

"Unstable" album version is an edit - mainly misses the ending.

"Orion" album version features the brass while the film version doesn't - I swapped those.

"The Stargate Opens" alternate excerpt is the beginning of the cue - is slightly longer than the album/film version.

"Entering the Stargate" film version has an alternate take as ending, the rest is the same - I swapped it with the album version as the film version has that fade out.

"King of the Slaves" is virtually the same except the album version edits out the first few seconds.

"The Eye of Ra" with choir is interesting - I swapped this cue as well.

"Daniel's Mastadge" - film version has a more stripped down ending of the cue - album version again is more interesting.

"Leaving Nagada" film version again is an alternate mix (audible at 3 mins onwards) stripping some of the brass (you can still slightly hear it) - swap those two to get the original in your main playlist.

"Ra the Sun God" film version without choir is the first part of the cue.

"The Seventh Symbol" album version edits out ending.

"Battle at the Pyramid" - the film version contains a few different takes (to accommodate the film I suppose) and has silences at various points, the album version edits the silences out but contains the same music (and at some points more instruments) - I'm swapping these tracks as well.

On 12/4/2019 at 12:08 AM, Trent B said:

Seriously?  This is the most definitive edition for the film score (this is not the TV series).  The so called "Deluxe Edition" from Varèse was half assed.  If you like this score the LLL release is the one to get and have.

Seriously yes...I actually yawned trying to get through your reply. 

1 minute ago, Þekþiþm said:

The Deluxe Yawn

Alh-18.jpg

On 12/4/2019 at 7:44 PM, Trent B said:

I suggest buying from Movie Music or another outlet for the BSX Godzilla.  We all know that BSX can be very dodgy when it comes to sending shit out to customers.

They send shit out to customers now?  Do you know if it's top-grade shit as I'd love to get some?  Alma's been on my house about trying to get good shit for her roses!

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Back in stock again!

https://lalalandrecords.com/stargate-25th-anniversary-expanded-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

Must be a great seller!  And well deserved - this is one of my most listened to albums of the past year, without question