Early alternate version of The Jedi Steps?

crumbs

The Jedi Steps - Alternate?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a fragment of an alternate Jedi Steps Williams wrote and recorded for TFA?

• Yes
    • No

It’s possible. Both cues are in the same key and use the same progression. Maybe in his mind, the horn part developed itself into the final version of Jedi steps while he was recording the cue, or maybe during an after-work shower 😀. JJ might also have asked him to add a more dramatic feeling during that scene, especially emphasizing the Skywalker root by using the same chord progression of the Imperial March.

4 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

I remember this speculation! I hope one day we get a complete release or at least and expanded release including alternates for TFA. 

I actually doubted it was an alternate Jedi Steps until I spotted a fragment of the theme hidden in this version! It's gotta be a prototype that he reworked, presumably when JJ asked for something more mysterious and darker, rather than wistful and melancholic. Fascinating alternate attempt though, you really get a sense of JW's thought-process.

Almost as fascinating as the Binary Sunset reworking. And to think we have an entirely new score to come with, in all likelihood, just as many alternate ideas. The ST is my dream Mike Matessino project now, because you could practically present two totally different versions of the same score in the one set.

23 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

I remember this speculation! I hope one day we get a complete release or at least and expanded release including alternates for TFA. 

The question is whether our retirement homes will have CD players.

I don't think this is an EARLY version of the Jedi Steps. It is ANOTHER version of the Jedi Steps that we love.

So Jedi Steps famously play the its main theme 3 times. With 1st one being softer, 2nd being dramatic and 3rd being over-the-top super melodramatic.

I think the first version of the cue as Williams wrote might have retained the 1st and 2nd runs of the theme and then the Vimeo versio for the 3rd time. I actually like this version too. It gives the scene a slighter softer feel.

I think eventually JJ and KK came back and told him Luke's reveal should be SUPER ULTRA ALL CAPS DRAMATIC OMG JIZZ IN MY PANTS. So then Williams amped up the 3rd version and delivered the version we love today. Which you gotta admit - is kinda overdramatic for simply a man turning around. But hey, it works!

In the vimeo version too you can almost hear it transition into a soft rendition of the force theme just like the film version.

Yeah I reckon if it kept going a few more seconds, we'd hear the Binary Sunset solo as it appears in the film. 

We know from TFA's lead French Horn player that the Binary Sunset solo used in the final film was carried over from the original recording, and didn't need to be re-recorded when Williams revised the rest of the cue. 

@crumbs Thanks for trying that! It seems to work fairly well.

The film version of Jedi Steps is in the leaked score and dated 5/29/15, which would make it one of the earlier cues to be completed (the dates range from May through November) so I suspect if this was indeed intended for this scene, it was recorded as a possible insert later on.

41 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

so I suspect if this was indeed intended for this scene, it was recorded as a possible insert later on.

Yeah it's possible JJ just wanted to hear an alternative approach for Luke's reveal, but they ultimately settled on JW's original version.