If you get to choose, which album version do you purchase?

Jurassic Shark

If you get to choose, which album version do you purchase?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. If you get to choose, which album version do you purchase?

• Jewel case
    • Digipak

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Jewel case, easily.

And definitely no nonsense like the original LOST WORLD CD, with that stupid pop-up thing and a CD pocket that actually scratched the CD!

What if the Jewel case is chronological and the digipack is a best listening presentation?

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

Jewel case, easily.

And definitely no nonsense like the original LOST WORLD CD, with that stupid pop-up thing and a CD pocket that actually scratched the CD!

Like those shitty plastic sleeves in the Varese Freddy Krueger boxset. Make sure just to use the cardboard sleeves because the inner plastic sleeve will leave your disc a scratchy mess.

I like that digipaks allow for more sprawling and creative artwork. I have the TFA and RLJ digipaks and I'll get TRoS in this version too. Not completely on topic but I LOVE the packaging of the LotR Extended DVDs, too.

And of course it's only a small portion of the lower back corner of the outer sleeve. What I do dislike is when they don't have a slip like this that helps them hold the shape, so they just flop all around - like the Deluxe Across the Stars or the 3 disc remaster of the White Album, that latter one developed a light crease down the middle of the spine.

It all depends how you store and use your albums. Jewel cases get all scuffed, can crack, but offer better protection for both CDs and booklets. I guess there's also uniformity with the jewel cases too.

As for digipaks, I have several that are gorgeous and I like them in this format - the cardstock and the presentation of the artwork are the key factors I consider (Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, First Man and Interstellar are a few good ones). I hate digipaks that have the discs slipped into cardboard slots and not on the proper stalk; I always have a hard time getting the Hobbit Special Edition CDs out without fear I'll damage the sleeve or scratch the discs!

Jewel cases are easily and cheaply replaceable.  I've also had one digipack (Oingo Boingo Anthology) where the CD envelope glue came off on the CD, rendering several tracks unplayable or unrippable regardless of how much scrubbing I did.

Jewel cases are brittle and full of plastic which breaks easily.

Digipaks are more compact and generally have less breakable bits - I think I prefer them these days. The only thing a jewel case has over a digipak is ease of reading the spine.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

This is the worst I've come across and it looks worse on this picture than it is.

20191202_123919.jpg

My Potter, Indy and Lethal Weapon soundtrack boxes look like that (okay, not quite that bad but bad enough to annoy the shit out of me).

I'm dreading ordering the JW Disaster box because these boxes all turn into disasters during shipping (for me) - and it makes no difference how I entreat the shippers to package securely, they just.do.not.get.it. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, but you can replace those. A damaged digipak is damaged in eternity.

To be fair, I've had jewel cases arrived so badly crunched, that the paper inserts are damaged. But they generally are better than digipaks, or *shudder* cardboard sleeves.

4 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

My Potter, Indy and Lethal Weapon soundtrack boxes look like that

Huh. The Potter box is pretty thick!

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Huh. The Potter box is pretty thick!

Not thick enough for FedEx to dent right up apparently! In this case it looks worse in real life than on the photo. Stupid arseholes shipped it in a plastic mailer.

IMG_20190104_0925224.jpgIMG_20190104_0926138~2.jpg

academy awards oscars GIF

I have had worse experiences with jewel cases than these little dents or crumpling with digipaks, though. Like Schindler's List which came in a jewel case whose front just doesn't stay on. Or CE3K with prongs so strong the disc bends 30+ degrees before it becomes free and I'm afraid I'll snap it everytime. Or the HP box, where Disc 3's teeth just broke off and it was rattling around inside the case, thankfully not getting a single scratch.

9 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I prefer jewel cases by far.

Not thick enough for FedEx to dent right up apparently! In this case it looks worse in real life than on the photo. Stupid arseholes shipped it in a plastic mailer.

IMG_20190104_0925224.jpg

IMG_20190104_0926138~2.jpg

Well my copy of the Harry Potter Collection also suffered a pretty serious hit last year but I suspect the damage was already done at the CD plant since the horrible gash at the front was under the plastic wrapper. Luckily LLL replaced the outer casing ASAP.  Superb customer service! :)   

20181231_111251.jpg

47 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Jewel cases are brittle and full of plastic which breaks easily.

Digipaks are more compact and generally have less breakable bits - I think I prefer them these days. The only thing a jewel case has over a digipak is ease of reading the spine.

What about dented digipak covers?

39 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

To be fair, I've had jewel cases arrived so badly crunched, that the paper inserts are damaged.

That's happened to me as well, but not very often.

36 minutes ago, Holko said:

academy awards oscars GIF

I have had worse experiences with jewel cases than these little dents or crumpling with digipaks, though. Like Schindler's List which came in a jewel case whose front just doesn't stay on. Or CE3K with prongs so strong the disc bends 30+ degrees before it becomes free and I'm afraid I'll snap it everytime. Or the HP box, where Disc 3's teeth just broke off and it was rattling around inside the case, thankfully not getting a single scratch.

Yeah, but those you can replace cheaply.

33 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Well my copy of the Harry Potter Collection also suffered a pretty serious hit last year but I suspect the damage was already done at the CD plant since the horrible gash at the front was under the plastic wrapper. Luckily LLL replaced the outer casing ASAP.  Superb customer service! :)   

20181231_111251.jpg

My eyes!

My heart!

Jewel cases for sure.  But there's nothing worse than a crack on one of those.  Makes it look so shitty.

Digipaks get little dents in them that make them shitty as well.  But ultimately I'll go with a Jewel Case, easier to keep in good condition over the years.

If only every cd came with a nice cover to it like box sets get...

7 hours ago, Thor said:

Jewel case, easily.

I loved that thing. Lost World was one of my most listened-to CD's as kid so I play with the pop-up thing. :P 

On 12/2/2019 at 4:12 PM, Incanus said:

I prefer jewel cases by far.

20181231_111251.jpg

It looks like someone was trying to Avada Kedavra the shit out of it but the curse bounced for some reason. ;)

Karol