Your Top Five Favorite Traditional Christmas Songs / Carols / Hymns

Jurassic Shark

It doesn't have to be songs / carols / hymns originally written for Christmas, as long as they're associated with it now.

Mine, in random order:

O Holy Night

Es ist ein Ros Entsprungen

Ave Maria (Schubert)

Joy to the World

Fairest Lord Jesus

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "traditional."  I'd interpret that as meaning hymns, but your list includes "The Christmas Song."

Here's my list of my five favorite Christmas hymns in alpha order that I thought about for all of 30 seconds.

The First Noel

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

O Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)

O Holy Night

Sussex Carol (On Christmas Night)

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "traditional."

The composer should be long dead or not even known!

I'd interpret that as meaning hymns, but your list includes "The Christmas Song."

Fixed!

Oh yeah, that's a great one. I might exchange Joy to the World with this.

When I was a kid I used to like a VHS of Christmas music with Disney characters or something, but these days I can't stand Christmas songs.

This is the kind of crap I have to hear every year here:

26 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Sounds like a Benny Herrmann christmas album

About that....

If you can handle listening to a low quality TV audio recording from the '50s, Herrmann's musical setting of A Christmas Carol is seriously wonderful and under-known.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The composer should be long dead or not even known!

12 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

All I Want for Christmas Is You

Must Be Santa (Bob Dylan version)

Come On! Let's Boogey to the Elf Dance

"Deilig er jorden" might be my alltime favourite (original German title "Schönster Herr Jesu, Herrscher alle Herren").

Also:

"O Holy Night".

"Star of Bethlehem" (OK, he's not dead, but I had to include it)

"Det lyser i stille grender" (Norwegian)

"En rose er utsprungen" (original German title: "Es ist ein Ros entsprungen")

"White Christmas" (original Bing Crosby version, not the HOME ALONE one)

....and many more. Damn, that was SIX, wasn't it?

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Off the top of my head, I don't even know who composed those songs!

That's OK, as long as they're all dead.

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

"Deilig er jorden" might be my alltime favourite (original German title "Schönster Herr Jesu, Herrscher alle Herren").

Or Fairest Lord Jesus in English. But it has to be with the seemingly optional short change of key towards the end!

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Carol of the Bells!

O holy night — I want to love it, but I just really can’t abide it. I don’t think I have ever heard it performed unpretentiously. It always has some combination of solos, scooping, oohing and aahing, and arpeggios, and the faces on the performers are always very self-conscious, like they’re in pain or just really think they’re adorable. If anyone knows a recording of a nice, unsentimental SATB arrangement a capella or with organ, please help me out.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The First Noel

I'll take these and add Coventry Carol.

I'm also really fond of this one:

Arranged by a friend of our choir director and supposedly based on a traditional Christmas song from Tyrol (which I'm unfamiliar with).

Adeste Fideles is indeed great, and such a mishmash of a melody in terms of coming from many different sources.

I think the "o come ye, o come ye to bethlehem" part of the melody must have been taken from Bach

15:00 - 15:10

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

There's only one worthy recording - Jussi Björling's.

That is correct! (although it's in Swedish, in case that matters).

SILENT NIGHT,

SETTING THE TRAP,

IN SEARCH OF ANGELS (Tim Story),

IN THE BLEAK MIDWINTER,

DOGS IN THE MIDWINTER (Jethro Tull),

OH COME ALL YE FAITHFUL,

SNOWBOUND (Genesis),

SADNESS PT. 1 (Enigma),

OH FATHER (Madonna).

I know that some of these aren't strictly Christmas songs, but they will always remind me of Christmas, no matter what time of year I hear them. To me, that's more important than being "traditional".

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I know that some of these aren't strictly Christmas songs, but they will always remind me of Christmas, no matter what time of year I hear them. To me, that's more important than being "traditional".

Also, most of the composers are still alive.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:45 PM, Pellaeon said:

O holy night — I want to love it, but I just really can’t abide it. I don’t think I have ever heard it performed unpretentiously. It always has some combination of solos, scooping, oohing and aahing, and arpeggios, and the faces on the performers are always very self-conscious, like they’re in pain or just really think they’re adorable. If anyone knows a recording of a nice, unsentimental SATB arrangement a capella or with organ, please help me out.

On 12/3/2019 at 9:20 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

There's only one worthy recording - Jussi Björling's.

I won't abide anything bad said about Williams' recording for Home Alone.  It's simple and unadorned and beautiful.

Gotta say, I didn't enjoy that Bjorling recording.  Blubbering overblown opera tenors are the worst.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I won't abide anything bad said about Williams' recording for Home Alone.  It's simple and unadorned and beautiful.

I don't think anybody has said anything bad about HA here.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Gotta say, I didn't enjoy that Bjorling recording.  Blubbering overblown opera tenors are the worst.

Funny, coming from an American, masters of the overblown. ;)

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't think anybody has said anything bad about HA here.

It was implied!

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Funny, coming from an American, masters of the overblown. ;)

You enjoy Wagner, do not dare talk to me about overblown nonsense.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It was implied!

Where?

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You enjoy Wagner, do not dare talk to me about overblown nonsense.

There's a difference between feeling and overblown. Wagner was certainly the latter, both as a person and in his music, but not Björling in O Helga Natt.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

The "proper" way is a church congregation singing it together.  It's a hymn, not an aria.

It's true that a choral version (a harmonized choral version, not a church congregation) is the second best way to hear that song, but the best is to have a singer of Björling's caliber provide showmanship in the difficult parts, while at the same keeping it lean and focussed. Björling's version is the benchmark that everything else is measured after.

O Holy Night

Silent Night

The First Noel

The Holly and The Ivy

On 12/3/2019 at 1:45 PM, Pellaeon said:

3 hours ago, Thor said:

the best is to have a singer of Björling's caliber provide showmanship in the difficult parts, while at the same keeping it lean and focussed. Björling's version is the benchmark that everything else is measured after.

Eloquently said!

On 12/3/2019 at 4:11 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I'll take these and add Coventry Carol.

In case you're not familiar, Leroy Anderson, that King of Christmas Arrangements, has a lovely arrangement of the Coventry Carol for just the woodwind section of the orchestra.

(and an alternate recording if the above, which is the one I own, is region-locked)

A Ceremony of Carols is one of Britten's greatest works for sure.  For the Christmas season, I also enjoy his A Boy Was Born, a pretty early composition that shows his distinct, quirky approach to composing for voices was in place even at 19 years old.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

A Ceremony of Carols is one of Britten's greatest works for sure.  For the Christmas season, I also enjoy his A Boy Was Born, a pretty early composition that shows his distinct, quirky approach to composing for voices was in place even at 19 years old.

I was going to mention that in response to Pub's post. We did it for our Christmas concert last year (though we sadly had to leave out the first half of the finale - that would have taken us another few weeks of rehearsals). Hardest piece we ever did, but impressive. Variation 5 (In the Bleak Midwinter) is perhaps my favourite part (and the men in the choir don't even sing it). It's amazing how perfectly it captures the icy chill of winter and the image of falling snow.

My Top 5 is We Three Kings I guess, published 1857.

We three kings of orient are,
Bearing gifts we traverse afar
Field and fountain, moor and mountain,
Following yonder star.

Oh, star of wonder, star of night,
Star with royal beauty bright.
Westward leading, still proceeding,
Guide us with thy perfect light.

This is also a favourite of mine, which I see no one has mentioned yet. But hey -- I'm at SEVEN now, so I'm way beyond the limits.