New Star Wars: TROS TV Spot - Likely Williams

SourBork

Agree, the start maybe not but the latter half I’m almost certain.

If so sounds different to what we’ve had from the last two films. More frantic and fraught. 

On the beginning I wasn't so sure, but from 0:11 onwards, yeah, it does feel like Williams' action music style for The Lost World, or the Grievous vs Obi Wan scene from Revenge of the Sith. So yeah, it could be.

My bet is that, if this is indeed Williams, then it's action music from the desert chase scene.

It has that Temple of Doom feel and just the right amount of superb dissonance (or unexpected chordal progression--I don't know my technical terms) to be modern Williams.  

Checked instagram - saw this trailer - immediately went to JW Fan for the "is it Williams" discussion. In my opinion, it's the most convincing Williams-esque music so far..

Gotta be Williams, sounds legit to me. Seems highly unlikely they would use generic library music with no thematic relationship to existing SW music unless it was legit Williams, like the use of Jedi Steps for TFA.

This is weird. If this is indeed Williams, then apparently someone took the cue and put Fury Road-style percussion in it, but why would they do that? To appeal to the fans of epic trailer music?

Or, if this is not Williams, why put some generic action music written by some ghost writer trying to mimic Williams' style and not something more recognizable from the movies, like that other TV spot with Duel of the Fates?

The third option is that Williams actually wanted to inovate and put JXL drums on his score, maybe to win some younger fans.

This sounds more like it was written by someone who has just discovered that the diminished 7th chord is a thing and decided to use it everywhere.

I think the music in that advert with the Falcon/hyperdrive is more likely to be by Williams than this.

21 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

This is weird. If this is indeed Williams, then apparently someone took the cue and put Fury Road-style percussion in it, but why would they do that? To appeal to the fans of epic trailer music?

Or, if this is not Williams, why put some generic action music written by some ghost writer trying to mimic Williams' style and not something more recognizable from the movies, like that other TV spot with Duel of the Fates?

That somehow explains why it has to be Williams.

20 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The third option is that Williams actually wanted to inovate and put JXL drums on his score, maybe to win some younger fans.

While I believe this is not Williams, the one TFA spot that had Jedi Steps also had a lot of this type of percussion added to it, so they seem willing to embellish Williams for these ads. 

42 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I just hope it's Williams because it means the mix sounds like TLJ, unlike that dry sounding music in the clip they released. 

reminded me of the mixing of this:

Agreed. They haven't used wholly non-Williams music in any trailers thus far. Arrangements of his themes have been the crux of the marketing since TFA and the only times they've used unfamiliar music was the very first TFA teaser and the TFA Jedi Steps teaser; both were Williams compositions. 

There is a two-stage process for me in waiting for a new SW score by Williams.  The first part is a joyful anticipation, where I soak up news and little clips of music if they come; the second part is marked by irritation whereby I just want the score and not dwell with ambiguity and different composers.  I have officially entered stage two. Come on Dec. 20--get here and let's be done with it.  

1 minute ago, toothless said:

unlikely though 

Crome Dome or ToD temp tracks are just as likely (if this is indeed Williams).  

4 hours ago, Will said:

I just watched that and immediately came over here. 

For the first half of the spot I remained agnostic but by the end of it I was feeling pretty sure this was JW. Two factors sealed it for me:

1) There are no old SW themes, which is very unusual - in fact I can't think of a single other SW TV spot EVER (of 30 sec. length or longer) that did not contain any past SW themes in some variation.

2) The action part in the middle sounds like JW's frenetic action writing. It does not sound very much like ordinary trailer stock music. That was actually what struck me most about this spot, even before I realized it might be JW: "What a weird musical choice for a TV spot!" It was not at all the sound I was expecting. 

I know I will look stupid if I'm wrong here, but what the heck. I think it's him. 

You took an educated and measured guess based on what made sense to you at the time. No matter what, you will not look stupid in my eyes. 

tenor.gif