New Star Wars: TROS TV Spot - Likely Williams

SourBork

This does sound a bit like the climax of Anderton's Great Escape, where Cruise is being attacked by the auto assembling robots... (Yes, I've been listening to MR a lot lately)! :D

The moment from 2:20 onward:

That said, this could be JW or just some piece that sounds like JW wrote it. Not entirely sure, either way. 

I don't understand the argument about the rhytm being something Williams would not do. The Grievous piece above? Mine Car Chase? Tie Fighter Attack? Whenever a chase really gets distressed and serious, and not quite lyrical, this is precisely what Williams does! Hear here [3:32]:

21 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

I don't understand the argument about the rhytm being something Williams would not do. The Grievous piece above? Mine Car Chase? Tie Fighter Attack? Whenever a chase really gets distressed and serious, and not quite lyrical, this is precisely what Williams does! Hear here [3:32]:

Wow, it's actually VERY similar to that Grievous piece, in a slower tempo! Nice spot.

And the very busy woodwinds are indeed reminscent of his action writing in Jurassic Park, very well demonstrated in that cue you posted. It's like an amalgamation of his vintage and modern action writing, which bodes well for the rest of the score. Very exciting!

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

I don't understand the argument about the rhytm being something Williams would not do. The Grievous piece above? Mine Car Chase? Tie Fighter Attack? Whenever a chase really gets distressed and serious, and not quite lyrical, this is precisely what Williams does!

None of those pieces use the pattern I spelled out above, and Falstaff transcribed. Rhythm is a Williams specialty, but he has his signatures and this ain't one of 'em. Totally prepared to be wrong... edit: and wronger than just, JW wrote a rhythm that modulates as it does in Grievous and some producer looped it into static Zimmer "Mombasa" 4/4.

18 hours ago, Will said:

1) There are no old SW themes, which is very unusual - in fact I can't think of a single other SW TV spot EVER (of 30 sec. length or longer) that did not contain any past SW themes in some variation.

2) The action part in the middle sounds like JW's frenetic action writing. It does not sound very much like ordinary trailer stock music. That was actually what struck me most about this spot, even before I realized it might be JW: "What a weird musical choice for a TV spot!" It was not at all the sound I was expecting. 

My thoughts exactly. It's way too unique to be stock. 

I would be pleased to hear this in the score.

42 minutes ago, Loert said:

I think this whole thing is a bit misleading - it could be that this is Williams, but what you actually hear in the background is a section from a cue looped three times. If that's the case then there's no real way of knowing what the "real" rhythm is.

However, if it isn't looped, then there's nothing actually that "complex" about the rhythm. The accents suggest 3+3+3+3+2+2, but this adds up to 16, so there's nothing irregular about it. The whole thing is in 4/4 - as The Five Tones hinted, it's like a slowed down version of Zimmer's Mombasa.

The Grievous excerpt has constantly changing meters - if you try tapping a regular beat to it (3/4 or 4/4), you can't do it very well. The same goes for The Falcon, the beginning of which is 2+2+2+2+3=11 so you can't fit it into 3/4 or 4/4. Similarly, this track by Jerry Goldsmith is 4/4+7/8. THESE are irregular patterns, but not the pattern in this TV spot, which is just 4/4 with some syncopation.

Another way to think about it is that if you imagine someone conducting, they would have to keep changing their motions in the excerpts I listed in the paragraph above, but this wouldn't be the case for Mombasa nor this TV spot.

Just wanted to highlight that there's nothing really linking Williams' past use of irregular meters (i.e. in his action music) with the rhythm in this TV spot.

Total Recall

:rock2::rock::rock2::rock::rock2::rock::rock2::rock::rock2::rock::rock2::rock::rock2::rock:

1 hour ago, Loert said:

Just wanted to highlight that there's nothing really linking Williams' past use of irregular meters (i.e. in his action music) with the rhythm in this TV spot.

You did a much better job of clarifying than I did!

9 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Thanks to Solo, Asteroid Field feels so cheap now. I hope Williams wrote something new for those chase scenes instead.

Even if he did, Abrams would probably have asked him to put Asteroid Field or Here They Come.

"See, Johnny, this is the final movie of the saga, so we gotta have as many callbacks to the classic movies everyone loves as possible. Just look at Avengers: Endgame, a huge part of the movie is set on scenes set during the previous MCU movies, and they made almost 3 billion at the box office! Disney is pressuring us to get to the same heights!"

"Yeah, whatever you want, JJ Baby. Also, what the hell is Avengers: Endgame and MCU? One of those new shows young people watch on their phones or something?"

On 12/4/2019 at 6:48 AM, The Five Tones said:

I say no. Orchestration is too broad, but also that 3+3+3+3+2+2 is more a Zimmer/rock generation rhythmic pattern and would be an awkward fit for JW. Edit: the tritone progression also doesn't sound like him, he'd do a peekaboo maybe but not a whole riff before thickening up the dissonance.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:07 AM, Taikomochi said:

Sounds like library music to me.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:46 AM, Loert said:

This sounds more like it was written by someone who has just discovered that the diminished 7th chord is a thing and decided to use it everywhere.

I think the music in that advert with the Falcon/hyperdrive is more likely to be by Williams than this.

On 12/4/2019 at 8:30 AM, The Five Tones said:

Just not chromatic enough and/or modulating enough, see the BB-8 TFA teaser or TROS They Fly Now clip. Not enough complexity, subtle or otherwise.

Well this is the fun part of the Star Wars sequels where we get to point and laugh at everyone who guessed incorrectly! Mwahahahaha! :D

58 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well this is the fun part of the Star Wars sequels where we get to point and laugh at everyone who guessed incorrectly! Mwahahahaha! :D

Now look here, I never actually ruled it out. :D

Though it does sound a bit better without the epic drums...

On 12/4/2019 at 11:45 AM, The Five Tones said:

Rhythm is a Williams specialty, but he has his signatures and this ain't one of 'em. Totally prepared to be wrong...

And wrong I am, apparently. I said it.

But I was out of pocket all day yesterday and totally missed the breaking news and the active download. I will now head hat in hand to some kind JWFanner in the DMs.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:45 AM, The Five Tones said:

and wronger than just, JW wrote a rhythm that modulates as it does in Grievous and some producer looped it into static Zimmer "Mombasa" 4/4.

I was at least correct that the rhythm was looped to create the 4/4 groove impression.

cil.gif