The 15 Best Film Scores Of The Decade

Koray Savas

There's highlights on there, but slotted in after the other fifteen years that came before it and the fifteen before that, the list is still representative of the major decline of movie music.

God, everyone is doing these lists now. I had one planned for my site too, but I'm not sure. We'll probably see 'best of the decade' fatigue setting in pretty soon.

The Collider list is pretty disappointing; with a few exceptions, it's very far removed from my own picks. Lots of overrated stuff on there.

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Collider? List of film music? LOL

Without even entering there, I already can imagine which scores they chose.

Yeah, it's basically a 'what's what' of titles that have had great exposure among the general public, or in film communities. Very predictable.

Four of them are great, and would at least have been in my own running of a top 15: BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD, MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, SWISS ARMY MAN and HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON.

One would definitely have made my own top 15: INTERSTELLAR

The rest would not have been included, even though a couple of them have their moments and/or work fine in their movies.

Wow... that is an awful list.  The only John Williams score that even gets an honorable mention is The Last Jedi, easily the weakest Star Wars score.  No Shore, no Mansell.  Mica Levi gets a nod, but for Jackie, not Under the Skin? Swiss Army Man?  The quote from @Uni in my signature feels quite relevant.

1 hour ago, Erik Woods said:

For those knocking Swiss Army Man.  Have you listened to it or experienced it in the film?  It's bloody brilliant!

-Erik-

Totally agreed. It was my 8th favourite score that year.

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I watched it and, honestly, I don't remember much about the score.

Really? That's quite impressive, since it's such an original, striking use of 99% voices only, and it's mixed quite high in the film. You didn't even catch the JURASSIC PARK theme?