2020 Oscars - Best Original Score predictions

TownerFan

The only way TROS wins vs Little Women, Joker, and 1917 is if it's a well received film and is a truly satisfying end to the saga that unites the fanbase. We all know his score is Oscar worthy and elevates the film, but this time, can the film elevate the music to an Oscar win? In JJ we trust.

“Avengers: Endgame”
“Bombshell”
“The Farewell”
“Ford v Ferrari”
“Frozen II”
“Jojo Rabbit”
“Joker”
“The King”
“Little Women”
“Marriage Story”
“Motherless Brooklyn”
“1917”
“Pain and Glory”
“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
“Us”

John Powell can't catch a break

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Huh. Pain and Glory is the only one I never heard of

The movie is a masterpiece. Score is decent too.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

“Avengers: Endgame”
“Bombshell”
“The Farewell”
“Ford v Ferrari”
“Frozen II”
“Jojo Rabbit”
“Joker”
“The King”
“Little Women”
“Marriage Story”
“Motherless Brooklyn”
“1917”
“Pain and Glory”
“Us”

John Powell can't catch a break

Predictions

“Joker”
“Little Women”
“Marriage Story”
“1917”

Alternates

“Jojo Rabbit”

“Pain and Glory”

“Us”

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Huh. Pain and Glory is the only one I never heard of

That's the latest Almodovar. My colleagues have raved about it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Sampled the Iglesias score on Spotify, and it didn't do much for me (like most Iglesias).

I find it to be a rather boring and predictable list, but of those, my personal favourite is MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN.

Let's face it, sequel scores are very rarely (if ever) in the conversation for this category unless they're Williams scores (and even then, it's only for a token nomination).

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Let's face it, sequel scores are very rarely (if ever) in the conversation for this category unless they're Williams scores (and even then, it's only for a token nomination).

I mean there are two other sequel scores on the shortlist, including an animated sequel. Not that they’re major contenders either but it’s not like they’re completely overlooked just for being sequels. Mary Poppins Returns was nominated last year.

48 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I mean there are two other sequel scores on the shortlist, including an animated sequel. Not that they’re major contenders either but it’s not like they’re completely overlooked just for being sequels. Mary Poppins Returns was nominated last year.

Poppins was entirely original. Save for cameos, it worked with entirely new thematic material. I wouldn't really call it a sequel score even though it is for an official sequel.

It's infuriating that Frozen 2 gets to be nominated, but not The Hidden World. But it's not surprising. Perhaps Universal simply didn't want to spend that much money campaigning for a film and they'll settle for a nomination for Best Animation (we all know Disney is going to win again, either with Frozen 2 or Toy Story 4). Also, they have other much more promising movies that might bring them much more awards, such as Us, 1917, etc.

So, based on this list, I guess the nominees will be:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Joker

Little Women

Marriage Story

With Joker and 1917 being the favorites.

Also: everybody's talking about Powell, but where is Shore? He was also disqualified?

26 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Also: everybody's talking about Powell, but where is Shore? He was also disqualified?

If you're thinking of THE SONG OF NAMES, I think that has a little too much existing music.

Silvestre deserves the Oscar. The best score for 2019's most entertaining and satisfying film. 

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

If you're thinking of THE SONG OF NAMES, I think that has a little too much existing music.

Yeah, that's what I thought :( .

It's unfortunate, because that would've been Shore biggest chance at a nomination since An Unexpected Journey in 2012. 

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hugo didn't have a good chance?

Spotlight won best picture, that score had a good chance of being nominated too

Hugo was nominated in 2011, one year before AUJ came out. Due to the two Oscars the LOTR scores have earned, everyone thought the first Hobbit would get nominated too... Until he was excluded, in favor of bland and boring stuff like Argo and Skyfall (one of the most baffling nominations I have ever seen).

Spotlight's score was very discrete and small scale, I guess it never had much of a chance, despite the movie's success with the Academy. 

9 hours ago, Thor said:

Williams actually only has 9 nominations left to tie alltime leader Walt Disney. So so close, but no cigar.

The Rise of Skywalker

Indy 5

The Kidnapping of Edgard Mortara

Robopocalypse

Indy 6

Best Original Song for Indy 6 (a vocal version of the movie's love theme between Indy's teenage daughter Charley Jones, played by Hailee Steinfeld, and her love interest, played by Noah Centineo)

Indy 7 (teaming up Indy's two sons, Mutt and Charley, to rescue their father from the revenge of Bellocq's grandson, François, played by Ty Simpkins)

Tintin 2 (directed by Peter Jackson)

Tintin 3 (directed by Spielberg)

There it is!

Now, just put Spielberg to actually work on those movies, while JW's keeps a routine that will keep him healthy until he is... what... 99?

18 hours ago, Thor said:

Williams actually only has 9 nominations left to tie alltime leader Walt Disney. So so close, but no cigar.

Disney's record is bullshit. It is mostly for producing shorts - literally. And the credit system has changed. Now the nomination goes to the actual director and writer of the short, earlier it went to the producer. So Disney's record is basically worthless and in actuality Williams is the single most successful artist nomination wise with the academy.

Yeah, I know there are all kinds of differences when comparing various periods. But a record is a record, and an Oscar is an Oscar. Just as Alfred Newman still is the film composer with the most Oscars (9), even if they're not all for original scores, but also for adaptations etc. Or Alan Menken still is the living film composer with the most (8), even if some of them are for songs. It's unnecessary nitpicking to delineate between degree of creative involvement, or nature of the work, IMO.

It isn't. You have to give context for a certain records or achievements otherwise you are saying nobody can ever surpass records. Records being broken is good for everyone. And there should be a fair field where it is possible to do that.

Every comparison of Williams with Newman or Disney that does not include a note on changing circumstances and categories, is flawed, and thus statistically uninformative.

The reluctance to adjust prize value for deflation / inflation is a moving of goalposts by idleness.

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Best Original Song for Indy 6 (a vocal version of the movie's love theme between Indy's teenage daughter Charley Jones, played by Hailee Steinfeld, and her love interest, played by Noah Centineo)

Indy 7 (teaming up Indy's two sons, Mutt and Charley, to rescue their father from the revenge of Bellocq's grandson, François, played by Ty Simpkins)

So Charley changes sex between Indy 6 and 7. I guess they'll make a spinoff to explain that small detail.

1 hour ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Every comparison of Williams with Newman or Disney that does not include a note on changing circumstances and categories, is flawed, and thus statistically uninformative.

The reluctance to adjust prize value for deflation / inflation is a moving of goalposts by idleness.

The way you phrase it sounds like ammunition against any comparison. 

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

The way you phrase it sounds like ammunition against any comparison. 

It was designed to be that way. Awards given by commitees or voting groups are not sports tournaments, so using them to compare the achievement of professionals in a given field with the result of someone looking better and someone looking worse is misleading.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So Charley changes sex between Indy 6 and 7. I guess they'll make a spinoff to explain that small detail.

Or they just cast one of the boys from Stranger Things to be... him?

• 2 weeks later...

Joker won for Best Original Score at tonight's Globes, defeating Little Women, Marriage Story, 1917 and Motherless Brooklyn.

Thomas will be another year without his Oscar 😭 😭 😭

Coolman still stands a chance if he wins the BAFTA. If Hildur gets that, she’ll probably get the Oscar too.

JW was done when the film underwhelmed. It was never gonna be an awards fave so needed to be a major crowdpleaser but it’s too perfunctory. I don’t think it’s gotten anybody excited about giving him a sixth Oscar.

Apart from 'Night Window' i see no reason for a Newman win, except to prevent 'Joker' from getting it and i'm not sure that is incentive enough. It may 'work' good in the movie, but it sure is no advancement of the musical art form in the film medium, it's another high five to the sound designers.