2020 Oscars - Best Original Score predictions

TownerFan

31 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

JW was done when the film underwhelmed. It was never gonna be an awards fave so needed to be a major crowdpleaser but it’s too perfunctory. I don’t think it’s gotten anybody excited about giving him a sixth Oscar.

Yep, if the film was a triumph and overwhelmingly loved, it's the feelgood/token category they could shower it with love. The film sucking was the nail in the coffin.

Plus all the political reasons working in Joker's favour (the token technical win for a ratings grabber, a female composer in a field dominated by men), it's a no-brainer.

Poor Williams. It's like every time he pairs a brilliant score with a critical darling, there's always one other film that gets 'hot' and steals his thunder (Morricone for TFA, Pi over Lincoln). Then when he creates a brilliant score in a year where his competition is mediocre, the film doesn't resonate with critics and he loses again (TROS, Memoirs of a Geisha, War Horse).

But it's been clear for years that the Oscars is just all politicized BS and has nothing to do with rewarding the legitimate best entrants in that field.

But that just proves it's a farce. Discounting the best in the field simply because they've won before? And we know from actual Academy voters that mindset prevails, specifically when it comes to Williams.

Let's face it, outside of the JWFan mindset, has there been any Williams score since Memoir of a Geisha that really *deserved* an Oscar? i don't think so. Sometimes, like in case of 'Lincoln', he could have had a shot, but the score hardly made much impact n the movie and you don't award soundtrack albums.

Stuff like the new SW'ses or Book Thief are more than compensated by their token nominations.

PS: Joker i haven't seen, but i ask myself how such a motionless static concoction is able to convey a story like that. #Samuraimeditating

TFA had a legitimate shot with many "oscar experts" (whatever that is) predicting it. I think but for that awful Morricone campaign, Williams would have won.

He got unlucky with Memoirs - a score that I like but by no means think is a masterpiece. That was basically an upset loss.

Besides these two - he had no other chances.

You could make a case for Lincoln - but in the film the score is not much used at all.

Besides these 3 instances, he hasn't had any shot since Schindler's List.

Of course the music branch respects and loves him, so they nominate him again and again. But the larger academy hasn't really paid him any attention whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

And Morricone did deserve his Oscar. Certainly over TFA.

He didn't deserve it any more or less than Williams 'deserves' one for completing 9 Star Wars scores after four decades. But he sure as hell ain't gonna get it!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

He didn't deserve it any more or less than Williams 'deserves' one for completing 9 Star Wars scores after four decades. But he sure as hell ain't gonna get it!

He'll get his lifetime achievement award this time.

3 minutes ago, Romão said:

That score did not win the award, Ennio Morricone's career did

You're wrong. He got his lifetime achievment award in 2007.

I enjoy The Rise of Skywalker a lot BUT it is not award-worthy.  Nothing wrong with music. On its own, it is light-years ahead of what other composers' technical capabilities. It's just that it doesn't do anything to distinguish itself or offer anything to the film that hasn't been done before (or better). Plus it would have been an insult to much better scores of his that lost over the past 20 years... Tintin, War Horse, Geisha, Philosopher's Stone, Azkaban, Angela's Ashes, Catch Me If You Can and especially A.I

Karol

There is probably a reason why Joker scored (beyond Hildur being a woman from a GoT-like country). It must have had some impact in the movie, i heard too many people comment on it, even if it is not great filmMUSIC, it probably is very effective FILMmusic. 

I find HTTYD 3 far more consistently enjoyable and well crafted than TROS.

The token nomination JW generally gets feels to me like an acknowledgement of his veteran status, but I'd say only a handful of those were actually the best score of the year.

Yeah, if it follows the pattern of the Academy over the last 20 years at least, the Oscar is already Hildur's. Just look at some of the winners from this century:

2000 - Tan Dun 

2004 - Jan A. P. Kaczmarek

2005 - Gustavo Santaolalla

2007 - Dario Marianelli

2008 - A.R. Rahman

2011 - Ludovic Bource

2018 - Ludwig Goransson

All composers that, like Hildur, come from non-English speaking countries, and are on their first or second Hollywood movie of proeminence.

Also, on 2001, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2016 Shore, Giacchino, Resznor & Ross, Danna, Price and Hurwitz had their careers, but were on their first nominations.

Pretty much only in 2002, with Goldenthal, and 2015, with Morricone, the Award was given to a beloved, iconic composer, which had never won a competitive Oscar before.

So, by this logic, I think the Music Branch prefers giving the Award either to foreign composers or to newcomers to the Oscar, probably as a way to boost their careers. Sometimes it works (Marianelli, Giacchino, R&R, Goransson), sometimes it doesn't. Danna these days only does indie movies that no one watches and weird kid movies with his brother. And does anybody knows what became of Kaczmarek and Bource? Are they still scoring movies?

Hildur is the person that best embodies this philosophy of the Music Branch, considering her competitors will probably be older, experienced composers (Williams, Randy and Thomas Newman, Desplat).

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, if it follows the pattern of the Academy over the last 20 years at least, the Oscar is already Hildur's. Just look at some of the winners from this century:

2000 - Tan Dun 

2004 - Jan A. P. Kaczmarek

2005 - Gustavo Santaolalla

2007 - Dario Marianelli

2008 - A.R. Rahman

2011 - Ludovic Bource

2018 - Ludwig Goransson

All composers that, like Hildur, come from non-English speaking countries, and are on their first or second Hollywood movie of proeminence.

Also, on 2001, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2016 Shore, Giacchino, Resznor & Ross, Danna, Price and Hurwitz had their careers, but were on their first nominations.

Pretty much only in 2002, with Goldenthal, and 2015, with Morricone, the Award was given to a beloved, iconic composer, which had never won a competitive Oscar before.

So, by this logic, I think the Music Branch prefers giving the Award either to foreign composers or to newcomers to the Oscar, probably as a way to boost their careers. Sometimes it works (Marianelli, Giacchino, R&R, Goransson), sometimes it doesn't. Danna these days only does indie movies that no one watches and weird kid movies with his brother. And does anybody knows what became of Kaczmarek and Bource? Are they still scoring movies?

Hildur is the person that best embodies this philosophy of the Music Branch, considering her competitors will probably be older, experienced composers (Williams, Randy and Thomas Newman, Desplat).

The music branch does not give the award. The award is given by the entire academy - sound guys, costume designers, makeup artisits, everyone.

The music branch only gives the nomination.

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It's not just a veteran status thing - literally if Williams composed a score, more likely than not it is one of the best compositions of the year - he just is that good. He operates at a level that is literally above the heads of most composers working today. Even JW on autopilot is better than most composers best work of the year.

Sorry but this just isn’t true. JW on autopilot is not greater than someone else who delivers an inspired score. 

3 hours ago, Eric_JWFAN said:

Back when I saw Joker in the theater I absolutely hated the score, almost as much as I hated Dunkirk. After it won the Golden Globe last night, I decided to give it a second chance and so I listened to the entire OST by itself first thing when I got up this morning.  Oy.  This is a terrible excuse for a film score. No variety throughout the entire thing, zero melody, zero creativity with the orchestration, no rhythmic movement whatsoever, it's basically a bunch of time-wasting long notes sustained in the strings with some added sound design type stuff. Hans Zimmer would be proud. I swear there are student composers with better writing ability than this. But of course, my non-composer friends will all tell me it was an INCREDIBLE soundtrack and that I just don't "get it". 

I've learned that film composers who write like this and take this easy way out (with long 1-note string cues and sound design gimmicks) aren't doing so because they think it's the right artistic choice, but rather because they don't have the proper compositional ability to write anything better.  And the sad thing is, we now have to spend the next two months hearing about what a masterpiece this score is and how this woman from Iceland is actually a musical genius. I really hate these award shows. 

Well it’s a good thing the awards are given to film scores and not soundtrack albums. Maybe you should watch the film, be more open-minded, and not degrade professional musicians that are writing music based on a director/producer’s vision. 

52 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The music branch does not give the award. The award is given by the entire academy - sound guys, costume designers, makeup artisits, everyone.

The music branch only gives the nomination.

Thanks.

Also, here's another reason on why Joker will win over 1917:

Eight Things I Learned on the Golden Globes Weekend Party Circuit

Golden Globes weekend always brings busy rounds of pre-celebration parties before the final awards bacchanal on Sunday night.

[...]

2. “Joker” and “Jojo Rabbit” are hugely popular. On my party rounds, I polled people on what they liked. “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” “The Irishman,” “Little Women,” and “Marriage Story” have ardent support, but so do two mainstream hits that scored at the box office without unanimous critical acclaim: Todd Phillips’ “Joker” (Warner Bros.) and Taika Waititi’s specialty release “Jojo Rabbit” (Fox Searchlight). Think “Green Book” as we ramp up to Oscar nominations morning.

3. Many people haven’t seen “1917” yet. Oscar ballots are due on Tuesday, and many voters are scrambling to watch their screeners before the deadline, neglecting foreign films in the process. Many folks are not happy with this year’s foreshortened schedule, which one-time AMPAS Governor Tom Hanks has pushed the Academy to adopt for years. The awards calendar will return to normal next year.

Other films that voters may not catch up with in time include late-December releases “Clemency,” whose star Alfre Woodard is admired by those who’ve seen it, and “Just Mercy,” starring Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx.

[...]

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/golden-globes-parties-parasite-uncut-gems-1202200624/

If people on Hollywood are loving Jojo Rabbit this much, Giacchino can already go choose his best tuxedo for the Oscar night, lol.

16 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Thanks.

Also, here's another reason on why Joker will win over 1917:

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/golden-globes-parties-parasite-uncut-gems-1202200624/

If people on Hollywood are loving Jojo Rabbit this much, Giacchino can already go choose his best tuxedo for the Oscar night, lol.

He has a shot at a nomination. Kinda shocking that is one of the "it" "composers du jour" and literally has not been nominated in 10 years.

And I think unless you see Night Window in context, nobody will give it the Oscar. If enough people see 1917, then Newman wins.

14 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Sorry but this just isn’t true. JW on autopilot is not greater than someone else who delivers an inspired score. 

To bad a lot of the youngsters aren't even capable of that.

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Well it’s a good thing the awards are given to film scores and not soundtrack albums. Maybe you should watch the film, be more open-minded, and not degrade professional musicians that are writing music based on a director/producer’s vision. 

I thought my first sentence made it clear that I watched the film. And I always watch with an open mind. But I know good scoring talent when I see it, and this wasn't it. Sorry. 

Unlike with a lot of the major categories, the Globes have a pretty good track record of matching the Oscars for Best Original Score.  Although last year the Globes gave the award to Hurwitz for First Man (richly deserved), who the Oscars didn't even nominate!  And just a few years earlier, the Globes didn't even nominate Desplat for Grand Budapest, which ended up winning the Oscar.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

To bad a lot of the youngsters aren't even capable of that.

It's funny how everyone who hates the new Star Wars movies is still praising the shit out of John Williams' scores. They could be terrible, but it is still John Williams and it is trendy to hide the total absence of musical and cineastic knwoledge with hipster opinions.

3 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It's funny how everyone who hates the new Star Wars movies is still praising the shit out of John Williams' scores. They could be terrible, but it is still John Williams and it is trendy to hide the total absence of musical and cineastic knwoledge with hipster opinions.

LOL, I haven't seen the film yet. I only know that I like what I heard on the OST and FYC.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

LOL, I haven't seen the film yet. I only know that I like what I heard on the OST and FYC.

The OST is so much better than the haphazard hack 'n' track job that is heard in the movie. Luckily, I've seen the film first, so that was a nice surprise, when I listened to the CD for the first time.

EDIT: Why did my post go into another thread?

I think we should all remember one thing: nomination is also a kind of award. For many filmakres it's the biggest achievement of their entire career. That's why it's no longer said that "the winner is", but "Oscar goes to". And that's why 51, the number of Williams' nominations so far, is so important. I hope it will be 52 next week.

2 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

I think we should all remember one thing: nomination is also a kind of award. 

I completely agree.  It's quite an honor to be selected by the Music Branch in the first place.