L.A. Master Chorale returns for Rise of Skywalker?

crumbs

8 minutes ago, karelm said:

Question: what was JW's first use of choir?  Was it Empire?  If so, he might have realized how good it works for sci-fi/fantasy and opted for more frequent use in subsequent films with Empire being a very small/minor role for them.

Family Plot?

@karelm Some really interesting insight there, appreciate it. Might have contributed to JW moving away from prequel-style chorus in the sequel trilogy, costing over $30K per 3 hours, capped at 3 minutes per session. That seems absurdly expensive, especially when Disney are already forking out the cash for dozens of regular orchestral sessions across the year.

Just think how much it would have cost to record all the choral writing in ROTS in LA; there's what, 20-30 minutes worth in that score? @stravinsky How many sessions did you have on that score? Do you roughly recall how many minutes you averaged per session? 

Wow, loving all the industry anecdotes this thread has provided! Rarely is the curtain pulled back for us non-industry folk, so it's amazing to get some insight into the process. Thanks @karelm and @stravinsky

When you lay out the costs like that, it does put things in perspective (and you're right, as far as film budgets go, paying that much for a day with a choir isn't really expensive in the grand scheme of things). It's interesting that, on TLJ at least, the choir was recorded at the same time as the orchestra, even on particularly challenging cues like Battle of Crait. From what you've described above, it seems surprising they wouldn't record the choir in isolation (especially if they have a lot of vocalisations to record in a short period of time). I guess JW has such a mastery of the orchestra that he can accomplish such things with his eyes closed nowadays. 

In any event, very glad I started a new thread just for an obscure and small detail of news about the TROS score. :D

5 minutes ago, karelm said:

In the movie AI, there is a brief moment where Gigolo Joe plays a vintage 1920's era song while seducing someone.  JW composed a piece using authentic 1920's instrumentation. 

Oh, that's Williams? I vaguely recall the moment but can't recall the music itself, other than assuming it was an existing piece. Pity there isn't a clean version on the LLL. 

23 hours ago, crumbs said:

Oh, that's Williams? I vaguely recall the moment but can't recall the music itself, other than assuming it was an existing piece. Pity there isn't a clean version on the LLL. 

Yes, that is original JW source music arranged, imitating and recorded in the 1930's style.  Conrad mentioned that JW instructed him that violas would be a duet but orchestrators understand a trio is better to be in tune.  The 1920's style is a duo and are slightly out of tune which JW informed him of.  The lack of tonality was part of the style of that era which Conrad felt educated by JW in his stylistic understanding especially when it didn't fit contemporary orchestration skills.  Conrad felt JW was an encyclopedia of orchestration style rather than a text of how music should be done.

Yes it's this song:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Only_Have_Eyes_for_You

And you can hear it right here:

That's the original song's vocals, with a new orchestral backing recorded by Williams. 

8 minutes ago, karelm said:

Yes, that is original JW source music arranged, intimating and recorded in the 1920's style.

I just realized that Williams listened to the 1920s music & recordings in a similar way I listened to the 1990s music as a child. He is truly ancient.

Edit:"I Only Have Eyes For You" is from 1934.

Thread of the year, hands down!

Also: this might explain why there's less and less scores using choir these days, right? Specially for big Hollywood movies.

For example, for the top 20 movies of 2019 at the worldwide BO (and excluding some awful chinese movies), only The Lion King, The Hidden World, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil and Godzilla II, as well as presumably TROS, used voices in some capacity. Last year there was only Black Panther, Aquaman, Fallen Kingdom and Crimes of Grindelwald.

I guess Infinity War and Endgame had some choir for Gamora's death scene and for 2014 Thanos arriving on 2023's Avengers' base and destroying it with missiles (I Was Made for This on the OST), respectively.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:30 PM, SilverTrumpet said:

I've heard of people not liking the Attack of the Clones score before, but I think this if the first time I've heard someone say Revenge of the Sith was subpar. 

I still think the second half of that film's score was Williams hitting some next level writing I've never heard from him before.

It is very poor. It best bits are from Star Wars. Battle of the Heroes is such a poor title. Dreadful as C3PO would say.

It's a miracle Williams was able to compose a score as good as he did for such an atrocious movie. I get the feeling he ignored George's execution of the films and scored his own idea of the story being told. 

2 minutes ago, stravinsky said:

Cheers guys. It's funny because I joined this great forum 16 years ago. But I've posted hardly anything. 

Well you picked a great time to come back, because the forum will probably never again be as active as it is now. 

55 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Well you picked a great time to come back, because the forum will probably never again be as active as it is now. 

Ahem.  Except for the sad day we all know is coming eventually......

Wow. Thanks for all the insight, guys! Truly a wonderful read.

While I wouldn't call myself "active" on these forums, I've always returned to them - come to read everyone's thoughts on the latest scores (especially of the maestro). While there's few people I personally know who respect Williams (let alone film music), it's always comforting to come here and read up on everyone's thoughts and stories.