Jerry Goldsmith's THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - NEW! 2019 2CD Quartet Records version

Jay

On 12/9/2019 at 11:22 AM, thx99 said:

So this is sourced from new transfers of stereo tapes, not remixed from multi-track tapes?

On 12/9/2019 at 10:14 AM, Jay said:

Quartet Records presents an all-new edition with CD 1 showcasing for the first time the score as intended for the film, with all performance edits and combinations recreated from new, high-resolution (192 kHz/24-bit) transfers of surviving 1/4″ tapes featuring Eric Tomlinson’s original stereo mix. 

Yes, I read that @Jayand everything there says (to me, at least) that it was sourced from stereo tapes.

So the biggest difference in this and the Intrada is that it includes the film edits for some of the cues.

Well this new release is also mastered by Doug Schwartz instead of Doug Fake. That's a plus in my book, but still probably not enough to get me to replace my copy from Intrada.

I'd still like to get the Memoir release of this (paired with Wild Rovers). I have the V/S SACD which reportedly has too much reverb - I should probably give it a listen sometime.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

You could probably sell the Intrada to fund most of purchasing this

What!? And lose that cool flipper art?

The Intrada guys have never been thorough about recreating film-accurate performance edits when they have to start from an archive of every take of every cue instead of already edited mixes. In fact other than Mike and Neil I don't know if anybody else does. 

I'm guessing they wouldn't have worded the press release that way if takes that weren't in the film hadn't wound their way onto the Intrada version. 

45 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Not film edits, but performance edits!

Performance edits to match the versions heard in the film. Hence, film edits.

Neil S. Bulk about this release on the Jerry Goldsmith Online forum:

For the most part yes, the compositions are the same, but the performances have been re-edited to match the selected takes used in the film, which differ from previous releases.

http://www.jerrygoldsmithonline.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5129

Surprising to learn the wonderful Intrada was not the film takes!

Yavar

I'am pretty satisfied with the Intrada version because it retained the Eric Tomlinson mixes (after the disappointing SACD from Varese). I'am such a enormous fan of Tomlinson. He makes you feel the orchestra and the instruments. His panning of the stereo allocation is also very good.Since this is an upgrade using a high resolution transfer and I usually fork up for such reissues; but I'am not sure if need to do this again if the end result is a marginal improvement.While the Jerry Goldsmith completest demon inside me is raging a battle and asking are you crazy? LOL  We will see who wins....(sigh)

4 minutes ago, Amer said:

I'am pretty satisfied with the Intrada version because it retained the Eric Tomlinson mixes (after the disappointing SACD from Varese). I'am such a enormous fan of Tomlinson. He makes you feel the orchestra and the instruments. His panning of the stereo allocation is also very good.Since this is an upgrade using a high resolution transfer and I usually fork up for such reissues; but I'am not sure if need to do this again if the end result is a marginal improvement.While the Jerry Goldsmith completest demon inside me is raging a battle and asking are you crazy? LOL  We will see who wins....(sigh)

The question for me is: will this be an improvement over the Intrada as much as LLL’s The Blue Max was? If so I think it’ll be worth the re-buy for me (and also for new John Takis notes!)

Yavar

As much as I like this score and how great the previous Quartet's Goldsmith releases have been, I think I'll pass on this one since I own the Intrada version. I'll try to reserve my double and triple -dipping on Williams releases only (if possible).

18 hours ago, Jay said:

No, the biggest difference is that Neil rebuilt the entire score from scratch from a new 192/24 transfer of the original stereo tapes.

I emailed Neil and he added:

I did re-edit the film score for disc 1, using the film as a guide. This results in some cues having slightly different performances than what's been previously available on the OST and other reissues. When you're releasing a score for the 3rd time in 15 years it make sense to do things a little differently than they've been done in the past to justify the new release. I hope people enjoy this new album.

I haven't got this so naturally placed an order. At 1000 copies, it's probably not a good idea to put it off for too long. I trust Neil's judgement. He's doing some of the best work in this field.

Karol

The hardest-to-get OOP title I was after, now for a ridiculously low price and limited to 1000 copies - of course immediately ordered!

I invite the owners of the Intrada CD to leave the 1000 Quartet CDs to the people who don't have this score at all.:)

18 hours ago, thx99 said:

Performance edits to match the versions heard in the film. Hence, film edits.

No, that's not right.  I mean, the words you are using are not technically wrong, but in this industry, "film edits" and "performance edits" do refer to two different things.

"film edits" generally refer to when the music editor of the film does something to a cue that changes it from how the cue was spotted, ie, what the composer intended.  For example in the final cut of Star Wars, the scene of R2 getting taken by the Jawas was decided it played better with less music, so they changed where the cue comes in and edited out a portion of it to make the rest of it fit after that new starting point.  So the film edit is nothing more than the music editor taking his intentions and slicing out pieces to match the final cut.

"performance edits" are what happens with the composer's approval after they have all the takes they need for a cue, and they go through each one and choose which portions of each take to cut together to make the approved edit of that cue.  This will always be the entire cue from start to end, and is sent to the music editor working on putting the music into the film, where it could be further edited down to a "film edit" if need be.

When the Intrada guys got every take of every cue and made their 2011 CD, they didn't meticulously compare each take to the film and make sure they grabbed all the same ones, essentially meaning they released takes of music the makers of the film, and more importantly, Jerry Goldsmith, never intended for anyone to hear.

For this Quartet CD, Neil did that work to make sure he gave us all the same takes that had been chosen to be heard in 1978, and used them all for the new main program.

I hope that helps.

14 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The question for me is: will this be an improvement over the Intrada as much as LLL’s The Blue Max was?

Hardly, because Great Train Robbery never sounded old on any release.

14 hours ago, Amer said:

I feel the same way. I very probably don't need it. But it's the one score that turned me into a Goldsmith fan, so I'll probably not want to risk missing it.

Never seen the film, but I absolutely adore the score. One of my JG favs. I have the 2004 Varese release, which will be my only version of this untill the day I die. Spectacular sound quality too, for such a relatively old score (and the few added tracks on top of the OST programme don't harm the listening experience at all).

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

Never seen the film, but I absolutely adore the score. One of my JG favs. I have the 2004 Varese release, which will be my only version of this untill the day I die. Spectacular sound quality too, for such a relatively old score (and the few added tracks on top of the OST programme don't harm the listening experience at all).

But the Quartet release includes the OST album, and the Varese (which I never thought sounds bad) isn't faithful to the original mix either. The Thor thing to do would be to ditch the Varese and pick up the quartet.

And the film is just as good as the score.

Haven't there been like 4 Goldsmith expansions this year? Plus The Swarm on the horizon, not shabby at all. :)

I'm not familiar with his scores but I'll get there one day.

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And the film is just as good as the score.

That's good to know. I'll keep an eye out for the film, then.

So "Night Exit" has been renamed to "Close the Door".

This cue is unused in the film if I'm not mistaken, and I always wondered if it was intended to follow "Night Entry" immediately or if it was written as a replacement for the ending of "Night Entry" (given the title on the Intrada release) - hope the liner notes clear this up.

• 3 months later...

It's the best Goldsmith score of its kind. And it has the best onomatopoeic train music ever written. The expanded releases at least, the original album dropped it - somewhat understandably, since that cue then goes into a big statement of the main theme and then simply fizzles out, but it's nonetheless one of the highlights from the score.

Lots of little nuggets, Goldsmith also omitted i. e. the bordello raid and other cues under 2 minutes, but they are much more memorable than the suspense stuff.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's the best Goldsmith score of its kind. And it has the best onomatopoeic train music ever written. The expanded releases at least, the original album dropped it - somewhat understandably, since that cue then goes into a big statement of the main theme and then simply fizzles out, but it's nonetheless one of the highlights from the score.

I'd love to read a full review! ;)

Listening to this fan created suite now. Is Soundtrack Fred by any chance on JWFan?

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2020 at 1:46 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

It's the best Goldsmith score of its kind. And it has the best onomatopoeic train music ever written.

Which track are you referring to?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's obviously The Gold Departs - I clearly wasn't paying enough attention when listening through the whole score.

Btw, what do you think of this?