The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are you talking about Kylo Ren's theme?

No, the sweeping strings, sounds like a dream sequence or something.  Sorry, not sure how to describe it in musical terms :(

Image result for this means something meme

1 minute ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

There are some spoilers in the track titles, but it's mostly very vague and un-spoilery

Even listening to the thing through, I can't really say there's something to be gleaned as to the contents of the movie.

Listening more, I'm surprised how much old themes is on this FYC album.  There's jut way, WAY more old themes here than new themes.  Not what I was expecting.

Okay, I have admittedly not looked at any track titles or posts outside of the first - is there any way someone can take these and just randomize the order so that I can listen to the tracks completely out of any chronological context? Haha 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Listening more, I'm surprised how much old themes is on this FYC album.  There's jut way, WAY more old themes here than new themes.  Not what I was expecting.

It seems to mostly be an absurd amount of leitmotif, meandering underscore connecting many renditions of themes/motifs over and over again. It's a lot like TLJ, unfortunately.

Hopefully, the album has more standalone pieces of music without all this Mickey Mousing and autopilot scoring, otherwise I'm fully prepared to write this one off.

0:30-0:37 of We Go Together reminds me of Anakin's Theme from TPM

Oh wait, I hear it again at 1:58-end!

1 minute ago, Damien F said:

Are FYC albums usually in chronological order? If so, I'm surprised that the emperor's theme occurs so early in the movie in track 2. But it is a absolutely kick-ass version.  

Per academy stipulations, they HAVE to be in chronological order

Wow, Leia's theme in 'Healing Wounds' is sort of juxtaposed with Kylo's theme. Or at least the first interval but it seems to be really there.

1 minute ago, Remco said:

Wow, Leia's theme in 'Healing Wounds' is sort of juxtaposed with Kylo's theme. Or at least the first interval but it seems to be really there.

Juxtaposed, don't say that. It may be a spoiler!!!!

:o

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

For the score to the concluding chapter, that kind of treatment makes a lot more sense than it did in The Last Jedi, so I don't mind it.

Plus, it really helps that a lot of the material is really very varied.

wow,I go out a bit and this happens

I'm only a few tracks in but I can tell this is a good one .hopefully this is 50 minutes of unreleased (non OST) music

It's amazing what difference it can make between those getting fully invested and those immediately writing it off.

Still, it's a plus seeing plenty here being very positive in one spot, so I'll take it.

6 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Anyone else notice a very peculiar passage in Approaching the Throne that resembles 'Palpatine Instructs Anakin' in Revenge of the Sith, as Palpatine tells Anakin to kill the Jedi and go to Mustafar. 

Yeah, I thought this was odd

I just had to move a post out of this thread.  

Please, people, no film spoilers here in this thread, until after the film is out.

If you want to discuss the leaked plot of the film and how this music relates to it, do so in the spoilers-allowed thread here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30644-rise-of-skywalker-spoilers-allowed-discussion-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1670594

Thank you!

Some amazing thematic highlights and the action music is stunning. JW did a great job with this one. Especially when you consider the spoilers that this confirms. It’s really going to be an awful movie. 

The opening of track 15 Advice reminds me of No Man's Land from War Horse, and something from Lord of the Rings

I have no interest atm. I'm just curious in how some think is all.

I'll listen to this once I get more familiar with the previous two entries, since I'm not too into SW like I am other Williams series currently.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You don't believe me, that there are no plot spoilers in the track titles?  Interesting...

No, I believe you. I just don't want any information about the plot at all.

Plot spoilers are not allowed in this thread, Thor.

I know. To put it differently -- I don't want to know anything about the film at all, not even that which can be deduced from vague track titles.

I'd love it it the big B minor chord at the end of 'Approaching the Throne' would segue into a big statement of 'Duel of the Fates', the way we heard it in one of the tv spots.