The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

Well dadgummit - have to actually do work for a couple of hours and check in and this happens!!!  I'm slightly panicking - none of these links are working and I'm getting nothing when I try to play the tracks on the FYC site.  Is anybody else having issues - has it already been yanked?!  Must.  Hear.  Cues.  

I love the treatment of Kylo Ren's material in the opening track, although something about the concept of a "prologue" (per the track title) strikes me as being un-Star Wars.

Track 3 is kind of incredible. Really, unlike The Last Jedi, a lot of the recurring themes are quite varied in their appearances. Terrific!

I can't stop listening Battle of the Resistance and Approaching the Throne. That choir on the ending of "Approaching the Throne" is epic as fuck! 

Hopefully, on the movie this section is longer, and not just a few seconds.

I've started and I still haven't gotten past my fourth or fifth listen of We Go Together. Fuck this is good.

Okay this is a special moment so I'm edit this with my thoughts for posterity. Not reading this thread until I'm finished so this will probably all have been said...

In the Desert sounds like it has that bit of Resistance March from the sheet music JKMS posted

Fleeing From Kijimi, 1:18, those piano/harp clusters, so hot. He's bringing it.

What is going on at the end of Hard to Get Rid Of!! I like that Emperor's Theme version.

Strings at 0:57, Join Me, love that. Also Rey's Theme is pretty damn good isn't it.

The Old Death Star, I think 0:43 is that other bit from JKMS? Fun to hear the Imperial March at its biggest in this trilogy. 

Into that groove in Off the Waterfront. 

Healing Wounds, 0:30  :lovethis: GREAT Leia's Theme at the end, wow

Seeing Sights, Rey's Theme on piano :crymore: 

Nothing to say, just transfixed by all this finale stuff....

Farewell is vintage John Williams, Jesus has risen

Seeing Sights is starting to grow on me. It's like the music for the sequence before A New Alliance (Snoke torturing Rey and urging Kylo to kill her), but better. Also: that sad performance of Rey's theme on piano is wonderful!

Even if its after the crawl, the concept of a "prologue" is wierd in Star Wars. The whole point of these films is that there's a crawl and then the film starts right away. These films never started with a montage or flashback of any sort.

We shall see.

Wow, can you imagine the fanboy uproar if it doesn't begin with a crawl. 

Just now, tmarps said:

HOLY HELL what do I do?? Do i listen to it!?

I think the best advice is to give it one or two listens but wait for the OST to fully dive into the score. That's my plan anyway.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

What if track 1 is titled Prologue because this film opens with a scene BEFORE main title crawl? :eek:

Maybe the scene after the crawl is the prologue to the rest of the movie, so there is a time jump after the opening sequence. 

I will likely never forget the moment this dropped. I have just finished doing a ranking with some arguments of all Star Wars scores so far, and wrote a big question mark next to TROS. Then I had a long phone call and started boiling water for a supper. When I returned to the computer, the FYC was up for some 15 minutes. After realizing it's a whole album of music, I was the most excited I've ever been in my life, to the point of trying not to run out of the flat like a crazy person, or not to squeal with glee.

I decided to skip the discussion so far and put everything into a review instead. Feel free to visit:

P.S. I burned that pot in the kitchen like Mustafar did Anakin due to a lack of attention for over an hour. LOL

23 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

that sad performance of Rey's theme on piano is wonderful!

It'd be great to actually have a solo piano piece within the body of the score: a first for this series.

4 minutes ago, tmarps said:

track 2 has got some of those thumpy brass stabs heard in one of the Williams-y TV spots

And the trumpets at the start of "Fleeing from Kimiji" form the same shape 

Thread is one hour old and already has 130 replies, LOL! 

I see that many failed to honour Jay's request, and have posted the proper, spoilerish track titles here. When I saw that, I quickly scrolled past and right to the end. I think I managed to 'steer clear' of spoilers for now. But bad form, folks!

Anyways, started listening now and will continue tomorrow (it's getting late here in Norway), and it's pretty much as I expected so far. A tad bit better than TLJ (not a high bar to pass), but not as good as TFA. Will be back with more comments later.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I love the back half of "Approaching the Throne."  It's got a new theme followed by a very nice March of the Resistance variation.

That variation of March of the Resistance is aces!!

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

2:09-2:12 of  Falcon Flight (track 2)

the bit that plays before Luke blows up the Death Star.

You're right!

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

4:06 on Approaching the Throne has some choir slightly reminiscent of the Dementors on the lake scene from Prisoner of Azkaban

Hmm yea somewhat

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

T20 Seeing Sights has some Emperor material similar to ROTJ's climax (Dark Side Beckons).

Oh man yea, that part is really cool!

The Rey's Theme at 1:43 of "Farewell" is worthy of tears.  So emotional.  Holy moly.

It's operatic!

I'm already in love with the new theme that closes out "Farewell" (I mentioned it above, starts around 3:35).  It sounds like no other theme in Star Wars.

I dunno, it reminds me of Jedi Steps a bit, with some Exit Music from Hook in there, plus choir, plus..... something else

1 hour ago, Oswin Pond said:

That Imperial March in "The Old Death Star" is fantastic

Talk about giving a 36 year old theme new life!

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

Ok, 3:18-3:24 of Farewell (Track 22) reminds me of Jaws for some reason. :lol:

Jaws?  Really?  Which cue?

43 minutes ago, lemoncurd said:

honestly, I love the noises at the very beginning of Approaching the Throne. Makes it even scarier. 

It reminds me of Wormtongue music in The Two Towers

14 minutes ago, tmarps said:

track 2 has got some of those thumpy brass stabs heard in one of the Williams-y TV spots

Yup!

Starting at 0:12 in this commercial

The last track (which is wonderful in what it does to Rey's theme) feels to me as though its part of the end-credits. The next-to-last track feels like the end of the movie proper.

If it is, from the FYC alone, this score strikes me more as a culmination of the sequel trilogy's material than of the series as a whole, which is NOT a bad thing. In terms of material that dates to before this trilogy, I'm mostly picking up some Emperor stuff (strangely, I'm not feeling the choir here), a bit of the Imperial March, and obviously The Force (less Binary Sunset-y this time, thank god) and the Rebel Fanfare (obviously for the Falcon).

This has probably been mentioned before, but any potential concerto suite would not be featured on a FYC promo, since they are not heard in the movie proper, correct?

Boy, can’t describe how excited I am. I’ve given the first listen to it. Williams have definitely returned to the orchestration and action writing of the original trilogy and combined it with the style of the sequel trilogy. There are very rich, and well developed sequences. This certainly sounds like bits and pieces of the entire score, but not the very best highlights I think. The score overall sounds very sentimental, due to the saga coming to an end. What I really wish is more thematic development for Kylo & The first order because just hearing those 5-notes have become rather uninteresting for me. JW surely have created many variations of it by messing with the tempo but at the end it’s still the same 5-note motif so I really wish we have a fully developed theme for him, maybe the continuation of the version we’ve heard in “Peace & Purpose” from TLJ.

On another note, mixing sounds quite well for this one. Great balance between high and low registers (Low brass & xylophone are pleasantly audible again, yay!). At a couple of points the timpani is obnoxiously loud, but that’s not a big issue at all. I’m really excited to listen to the whole score!

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

I see that many failed to honour Jay's request, and have posted the proper, spoilerish track titles here. When I saw that, I quickly scrolled past and right to the end. I think I managed to 'steer clear' of spoilers for now. But bad form, folks!

You're wrong, Thor.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I looked over the tracklist before submitting my main post. There's no spoilers.  If you disagree, feel free to stay out of this thread until after you've seen the film.  We're not going to discuss this album without using the titles of the tracks we're talking about.  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Hearing Poe's theme starting at 01:45 in The Old Death Star ?  

Oooh, yea, nice catch!!!

I think that "Farewell" is the actual final cue of the film.

And "A New Home" is actually a portion (perhaps the very end?) of the End Credits, with the bulk of the end credits not appearing on this album at all.

I'm hearing the same motif in Prologue from 00:42 - 00:55 and again in Approaching the Throne from 02:05 - 02:25    Any thoughts?  Definitely tied to the Emperor...

7 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

I'm hearing the same motif in Prologue from 00:42 - 00:55 and again in Approaching the Throne from 02:05 - 02:25    Any thoughts?  Definitely tied to the Emperor...

Are you talking about Kylo Ren's theme?

There are some spoilers in the track titles, but it's mostly very vague and un-spoilery if you have any basic knowledge of things happening in the movie, AKA you watched the preview or viewed the poster.