The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

32 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The score is fantastic, but again without context and a proper presentation its a bit... whelming? Like not quite underwhelming, just whelming. It's about average compared to the previous two JW Star Wars scores; I was expecting something a bit more grandiose considering this is literally his last Star Wars score ever.

I'm feeling the same. I'm hoping the actual score has a lot more than this, considering the film is over 2 hours long and this is only 50 minutes, i'm hoping this is just a quick grab and doesn't really represent the score. 

That being said, Imperial March statement in The Old Death Star floored me. 

There are some great moments in here. After the first listen, "Prologue," "Approaching the Throne," "Parents," and ""A New Home" stand out to me the most. Those choral elements in the last tracks sound incredible.

Leia's theme mixed with the soft vocals in "Healing Wounds" reminds me of "Remembering Jenny" by Christophe Beck for some reason. Maybe it's because it sounds like Leia is speaking from beyond the grave as well. I don't expect anyone to have ever heard it--and the similarities I see are probably only because of the possible scene similarities. Either way, it's a beautiful development of her theme!

And Sidious' theme near the start of "Falcon Flight"--who was it who said it wouldn't work with a faster tempo and a "march" treatment? It sounds great!

I haven't read through all the replies.

Does anyone have hear the "slowed down" brassy main theme starting at 1:26?  I'm REALLY hoping that will be in the final film.

14 minutes ago, geom_00 said:

Does anyone have hear the "slowed down" brassy main theme starting at 1:26?  I'm REALLY hoping that will be in the final film.

I haven't listened to the FYC myself but I haven't seen that mentioned by folks. That would be something that would probably be left out of the FYC so there's still hope! 

5 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I haven't listened to the FYC myself but I haven't seen that mentioned by folks. That would be something that would probably be left out of the FYC so there's still hope! 

Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I haven't listened to the FYC myself but I haven't seen that mentioned by folks. Admittedly, that would be something that would almost certainly be left out on the FYC. 

of course not, that's done by the trailer guys not Williams so it will NOT be on the OST either

Anyone notice anything that could possibly warrant a thematic suite? I didn't really notice anything new, other than 2 or 3 smaller motifs, one of which sounds very much like Rose's theme. Could this be the most non-thematic Star Wars score?

8 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Somebody's head is going to roll for this. I'm pretty sure this will be taken down shortly.

As expected...

Perhaps the next version will be revised / extended? Like the numerous versions of MI: RN that got posted (can dream).

3 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Oh it's been about 3.

I was raised to be a proper Catholic: worship infrequently.

Someone sent me to a different church and by the time I figured out how to receive the sacrament, I had the words, “Okay, boomer” going through my head and I’m not quite old enough to be a boomer!  Don’t let all the grey hair fool ya, I was born after the first moon landing.

8 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

My pleasure. You haven't posted in awhile so I'm glad to see you're back for the big discussion, my man. 

Thank you, again.

I just made a cross country move.  So I've been away from a lot of the internet.

Nothing could keep me away from John Williams last hurrah in Star Wars though!

9 minutes ago, King Mark said:

of course not, that's done by the trailer guys not Williams so it will NOT be on the OST either

Sure, but I'm not going to completely rule out the possibility that it was either based on or is similar to a rendition that Williams cooked up for this film until after I've heard the score to it. If there is anything these sequel films have taught me, it's that I don't know what sound Williams is or is not capable of. 

1 minute ago, geom_00 said:

Thank you, again.

I just made a cross country move.  So I've been away from a lot of the internet.

Nothing could keep me away from John Williams last hurrah in Star Wars though!

Yikes! Hope that all went well. Glad you got all settled-in in time for the final few days before the new score. 

Could the 6 note motif in the last track be counted as a theme? It essentially occupies the entire track and builds and builds and with more instruments getting added. There is a brief moment of Rey's theme but apart from that the entire track is this 6 note motif over and over again.

Classic KM!

9 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Anyone notice anything that could possibly warrant a thematic suite? I didn't really notice anything new, other than 2 or 3 smaller motifs, one of which sounds very much like Rose's theme. Could this be the most non-thematic Star Wars score?

Feel like it could be either the melody heard in “We Go Together” or the “Farewell” one 

Just finished my first listening thanks to the youtube video available. This score strikes me as being melancholic and ethereal. I don't know what to think for now. Waiting for the soundtrack to come up :) For now, this FYC goes to the 2nd place of my favorite scores of the year (the first one being HTTYD THW). For now :) 

Just finished listening to it all on my way to work. So glad I took the time to transfer everything to my phone yesterday before going to bed, seeing that the link is not working anymore!

As a first impression, I got to say that I like it, especially towards the later tracks where both the old, and the new themes really blow up in exciting ways. While those 50 FYC minutes probably don't represent the real score well, as a taster for what's to come, I think it's really beautiful. If the OST delivers on this potential, then I suspect it could be my favourite sequel score!

By the way, could someone with access to the PM chains add me there as well, so that I can avoid using the forums for the possible OST leaks? The official release is just a week away.

Listening to it now, I am enjoying this as out of context snippets of the score. The strings seem to be having a lot of fun, especially when paired with Kylo Ren's material. Sounds similar to the stuff in The Last Jedi track. The new Anakin's Theme-ish theme is solid but I'm sure the OST will give it a better presentation.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Revenge of the Sith had Grievous, Battle of the Heroes (more a setpiece theme than anything), the Lament, and a little Palpatine seduction motif if I'm not mistaken. 

So far Williams' thematic prolificity seems to mirror the prequel scores very closely, but if anything you answered your own question bringing up The Last Jedi.

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Revenge of the Sith had Grievous, Battle of the Heroes (more a setpiece theme than anything), the Lament, and a little Palpatine seduction motif if I'm not mistaken. 

So far Williams' thematic prolificity seems to mirror the prequel scores very closely, but if anything you answered your own question bringing up The Last Jedi.

Yep, I noticed that as well. John's energy when it came to TFA was clearly put more on the themes, particularly Rey's theme. When it came to TLJ (and now TROS) he seems to be focusing almost exclusively on underscore and action material, and putting themes and suites on the backburner.

I think as underscore this is really solid. Lots better than TFA and closer to TLJ

What's missing here is awesome statements of known themes (like the Ray lightsaber training  cue from TLJ).  But these were probably cut out of the FYC cue selection . This is only about 1/3 of the recorded music

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I think the new theme (best variation in Farawell) will definetly be the suite.

Regarding Revenge of the Sith there is also the Plagueis motif, the dark choirs motif and the "2 notes" motif that comes back like 10 times during the movie.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Revenge of the Sith did the same really. Other than Anakin's Betrayal (which only appears, what, twice?) he put more energy into just writing new athematic, dramatic underscore. 

Battle of the Heroes is more of a setpiece than a theme in my eyes. I wish it was developed more earlier in the film though! 

True. Just like TLJ, there weren't really any suites on the ROTS OST. TFA seemed to be a bit more of a callback to the OT, heavily featuring several new themes. Once that was out of the way however he seemed to go back to focusing more on the underscore.

1 minute ago, Oswin Pond said:

Regarding Revenge of the Sith there is also the Plagueis motif, the dark choirs motif and the "2 notes" motif that comes back like 10 times during the movie.

Which ones are those precisely?

1 minute ago, Oswin Pond said:

"2 notes" motif that comes back like 10 times during the movie.

not sure if were thinking the same one but that was in unreleased cues only

There is definitely one major new theme that gets extended treatment towards the end of the FYC. This theme seems to have a larger dramatic/narrative role than Rose's Theme or the Luke in Exile material from TLJ. 

And, of course, an FYC album is far from the best way to listen to any new film score. I'm sure there are plenty of musical highlights left out. So far, I am just enjoying the new JW music and the sense of energy in it. A New Home is fantastic. It strongly recalls Jedi Steps and the twinkly stuff that opens the last track of TLJ. The way the music fades down, I could see it transitioning into yet another Binary Sunset rendition. Sadly.

New anxiety until the track list is revealed. The OST is 50 minutes long and the EXACT music of the FYC:lol2:

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

The action music, just judging from the FYC, shows Williams has been uppin' his game every score in this trilogy. This is some of the most focused action music he's written in decades...

yeah there's no boring action music like Follow Me and the Falcon.

8 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

True. Just like TLJ, there weren't really any suites on the ROTS OST. TFA seemed to be a bit more of a callback to the OT, heavily featuring several new themes. Once that was out of the way however he seemed to go back to focusing more on the underscore.

I agree!

Plagueis Motif?

Yeah I don't know how to call it. I might be stretching but I definetly see a similarity here : 

Here

And even here 

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Ah, that's the one I meant when I said the seduction motif.

Ah !
Well then there is also the dark choirs motif, in the opera scene and when Darth Vader is born (After killing Mace)
Which kind also be find it Snoke, same way the seduction motif is. I don't think all of this is a coincidence.

2 minutes ago, Oswin Pond said:

Which kind also be find it Snoke, same way the seduction motif is. I don't think all of this is a coincidence.

Eh, I think that's more just a Williams playbook thing. The Revenge of the Sith motif really isn't too removed from say Keye's Theme from ET, for example.

5 minutes ago, Oswin Pond said:

I agree!

Yeah I don't know how to call it. I might be stretching but I definetly see a similarity here : 

youtube.com/watch?v=uBUDkqgN-7A&feature=youtu.be&list=PLonU6sZXHsfqtt1Uzv_O9-q7qjNr596Qc&t=50

Here

And even here 

The links you posted seem to just be the main title, but I think I know what you are referring to. There's a motif that sounds similar to that cue in TLJ  in ROTS that isn't a theme to Plagueis but is actually a motif that essentially represents Anakin's seduction.

EDIT: I see someone beat me to the punch. 😉

Just now, Manakin Skywalker said:

The links you posted seem to just be the main title, but I think I know what you are referring to. There's a motif that sounds similar to that cue in TLJ  in ROTS that isn't a theme to Plagueis but is actually a motif that essentially represents Anakin's seduction.

I edited the post with the right links! It's not the main title anymore :p
I always thought it was referring to Plagueis since it appears twice and both time he is mentionned. But I guess Anakin's seduction is tied to Plagueis's story so it works too!