The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

Yes, the abrupt changes in direction and starting/stopping are really the only subpar elements of this 'album' for me.

I'd imagine that the OST will join some of these cues and move stuff around. Plus I'd assume contain 50% more music or so.

Man, what on earth are they waiting until the 20th for? There's a lucrative Christmas market waiting for this!

Just listened to the album for a third time.

Tbh, the first half does have some good material, but on the whole it seems a little... underwhelming? I dunno, I like the dark tone, but much of it seems like taken from The Cave, Who Are You and the music from the scenes on which Poe and his soldiers rebel against Holdo while Finn, Rose and DJ are sneaking aboard Snoke's ship.

I guess Williams were better at writing dark, moody, but still interesting underscore on Revenge of the Sith (Palpatine's Seduction, I Am the Senate, News of the Attack, Moving Things Along, etc).

However, on the second half the "album" does really improve. From Battle of the Resistance to A New Home, there's some great, epic and emotional music through the end. Can't wait to see how this works in context!

On 12/10/2019 at 10:35 PM, Disco Stu said:

Listen to track 22 ("Farewell') from 3:36 for a definite, very emotional sounding new theme!

Just realised that it's the same theme that opens "Rescue".

SO, maybe a concert arrangement of this in the ost? We'll see...

I'd like to hear more clear-cut new themes in this though.

ROTJ had the Emperor's theme, Luke and leia, Ewoks theme.

3 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

"To Kimiji" [sic] features NEW THEME #2, throughout.

You're right!

Just now, luke905 said:

The NEW THEME # 2 on the list also appears on track 5 (at 01:01) and on track 6 (at 00:15 and 00:30).

You're right!

Updating post!

2 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

It's in 7 as well.

Where?

1 minute ago, luke905 said:

I also believe that there is no NEW THEME # 4, but that it is only the section B of the NEW THEME # 2

Yea, I was wondering about that...

1 hour ago, Loert said:

Between 2:03 and 3:12 of Track 22 is probably my favourite part from this album. Cool use of the beacon motif at the end!

I'm not hearing the "beacon motif" ("rising and falling theme" in my list) here; What timestamp exactly are you referring to?

2 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

There's an oblique reference to Luke and Leia in We Go Together.

Anyone else know what he's talking about?

Isn't that the B section of NEW THEME #2?

Or are you saying all of these is actually Luke and Leia's theme?

03 We Go Together (2:10)

• 0:30 NEW THEME #2 (Anakin's Theme-esque B section?)
  • 1:58 NEW THEME #2 (Anakin's Theme-esque B section?)

20 Seeing Sights (3:17)

• 0:24 NEW THEME #2 (Anakin's Theme-esque B section?)

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

What do you mean by "the" new theme?  There are at least 4

well, i meant, the most clear-cut new theme of all.. (the one that is a candidate for a concert version)

Your new theme 4.

32 minutes ago, luke905 said:

I'm also pretty sure that the passage from 0:39 to 0:42 in track 7 is very similar to something from TLJ, but I can't remember what exactly. 

Reminds me of a portion of "Escape"

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Well, I played it on and on in my mind, and i think that its first phrase at least, is a clever mirror rearrangement of Luke's theme.

Well spotted! That's interesting because Han's theme from Solo is a clever mirror rearrangement, too.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm not hearing the "beacon motif" ("rising and falling theme" in my list) here; What timestamp exactly are you referring to?

There's a harp flourish at 3:10 which sounds out of place from the rest of the orchestra. It doesn't actually play it but it is based on the same harmony as the rising and falling theme.

20 hours ago, Holko said:

Approaching the Throne's probably my favourite track so far. That new theme, the MotR rendition, the choir, everything!

If I wanted to send a great but not really spoilery track to a friend, which would you guys recommend? Falcon Flight?

Falcon Flight or In the Desert for friends who like ANH 

To Kimiji for friends who like The Post or Kimiji

Hallway Shooting for friends who like War of the Worlds

The Old Death Star for friends who E.T.

Approaching the Throne for friends who like Jaws

Farewell for friends who like For Seiji

To expand on my earlier remarks after listening several more times: I do agree with those who have said that this album is massively underwhelming. Great themes appear once or twice and then disappear, and it's hard to spot any sort of real thematic arc. Most of it sounds quite dark, and sounds absolutely nothing like I would have expected a grand finale film score to sound. There is almost (almost) no sense of finality or closure. 

That said, there are some really, really terrific moments here which showcase once again how John is an absolute master of his craft. I mentioned some of them earlier, so I won't repeat myself now. But I'll just say that I'm at once very, very pleased with some of what I've heard but also desperately hoping (like Loert & KM) that this FYC is a highly incomplete presentation of the score -- even though part of me is also preparing to be disappointed. *sigh* :)

This is why I’m waiting for the OST to hear the music. Fifty minutes of hacked up music (from an Abrams film no less) isn’t a very desirable listening experience to me. I’d prefer my ears get used to the full OST tracks (hopefully) instead of film edits. I’m willing to wait for OST and not spoil my last JW SW experience with a FYC. After JW departs SW, I will have no interest in the future SW franchise. 

46 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Sinister?

"We're here to resist an existing unjust power structure, not to break the wheel." 

44 minutes ago, Will said:

even though part of me is also preparing to be disappointed.

I think a lot of people will be disappointed by the movie. You won't be alone. :yes:

I assume one or two theme suites will be on the commercial album, since the opening and ending are removed as well? 

Because without theme suites, I don't think I'll feel this one at all. 

Some very nice choral and sombre stuff there near the end, but "Battle Of The Resistance" and "Final Sabre Duel" sound just underwhelming. 

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

To be honest, sounds about right. My first impression as well. 

However, the new theme in Farewell does stand out.

3 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

The Resistance motif sure feels to me like it has taken on a very different character in this film. Sinister?

The way it’s often used reminds me a lot of how Powell uses L3’s Theme.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:11 PM, Jay said:

02 Falcon Flight (2:22)

• 0:20 The Emperor's Theme
  • 0:31 March of the Resistance
  • 0:48 March of the Resistance
  • 0:57 The Rebel Fanfare
  • 1:13 NEW THEME #2 (new character theme?)
  • 1:30 March of the Resistance
  • 1:53 NEW THEME #3 (Action ostinato we heard in a TV commercial)
  • 2:05 The Rebel Fanfare
  • 2:09 The Death Star is about to blow up from ANH moment

1:47 Hyperspace from ESB - a tremolo variation on the pattern interwoven through to ANH Death Star reference