The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

No, I just think they posted it earlier than they were supposed to - it probably wasn't supposed to go live before the film came out for general audiences, or at least had its premiere.

1 hour ago, MaestroUE said:

[...]

This surely is gonna be somewhat fixed in the complete score but i kinda have started feeling a little pessimistic about the fulfillment of the complete score. If there were major new themes, they probably would've been represented in the FYC, which is the purpose of the album, otherwise who would prefer underscore to thematically well written new cues?

[...]

^This. I am dearly, dearly hoping that are more awesome themes or cues not represented on the FYC, but on the other hand I can't help but feel pessimistic - why would the best new cues be left off the FYC?

Well, if some of these great theme statements came in the middle of cues that also contained straight-forward statements of old themes, and/or came in cues that ended up heavily edited in the final cut, he would have left those off the FYC to focus on other cues instead.  There's no reason to use these 50 minutes to pass any judgement on the complete 200 or whatever minute score.  The OST should be a much better way to judge it, as well as seeing how it works in the film itself

The thing with Approaching The Throne is that the build-up with the racing strings is really cool, but then the choir takes over and everything just stops - it's so anti-climactic. It would be nice if that's just how it appears in the film and the OST is different.

Sure, but the Frozen 2 film is already open. 

I suspect the TROS files will be back if it becomes one of the 5 nominees for best score, to promote to the entire academy to please vote for it (the entire academy can vote on the winner, the music branch voted on who the nominees will be) 

Was looking through that thread we had on that sheet music picture we got from Joann Kane a few months back...

On 10/7/2019 at 10:53 PM, crumbs said:

Looks to be 1M14, yep. So they're yet to record some of the earliest cues in the film.

On 10/8/2019 at 9:33 AM, crumbs said:

Falcon's Last Flight ? :(

02 Falcon Flight (2:22)

Not too shabby, Crumbs. Not shabby at all. 

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The thing with Approaching The Throne is that the build-up with the racing strings is really cool, but then the choir takes over and everything just stops - it's so anti-climactic. It would be nice if that's just how it appears in the film and the OST is different.

I'm sure it will be !

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

My theory as to why it stops so abruptly is because it might segue into another piece of music that we don't have. Maybe even Duel of the Fates, although I doubt that.

Dude! 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Listening to the end of Approaching The Throne.. it is suspicious!  Almost like it's possible that they muted the orchestra after 4:08, only leaving the choir continue on to finish, because in the actual film, the orchestra continues on from there with Duel of the Fates backing.  Who knows, it's possible though.

Haha, nice! 

Posts were flying in so fast in the early days, I either missed that, or did take it in, and had it subconciously on my mind when I checked out the end of that track again after King Mark kept bringing it up

22 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Also not sure if this was mentioned, 2:50-3:05 of “Farewell” is a veiled reference to the theme in “We Go Together” right? Maybe some evidence it’s related to the “Farewell” theme. 

My prediction for now is the WGT theme is like a “group/final adventure” theme that we’ll hear in the first part of the movie, then the “Farewell” one will take over towards the end as a general finale theme.

Yeah, this. Really reminds me of what he did with War Horse, and how the main theme transmogrified into the homecoming/finale theme.

Overall, I'm thrilled with the quality and the style of the underscore and action writing—it somehow manages to feel like a fresh development of his ST sound, yet also more of a piece with the OT and the PT.

If this is really the best of the new thematic material, I'm with those who are a bit disappointed. But that might just speak to the nature of this movie—maybe there's just not a lot of room for new material if the film is revisiting and rewrapping old storylines.

At 0:29 in Hallway Shooting, anyone else get Approaching the Death Star vibes?

10 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

What makes you say that [WGT is sped up]?

There’s something off about it—it pulses and swells in a way which sounds artificial—and I thought you guys would have a better idea what that is about. I thought it could just be compression artifacts, but because it would also make better musical sense if played at about 3/4 of that tempo, I thought might be it.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Man we really need the OST to come out...

I agree, but I hope people aren't getting their hopes up *too* much that there will be some vast huge difference.  The TFA and TLJ FYCs were way inferior presentations compared to their corresponding OSTs, but you *did* get a pretty good idea of the score overall from both.  I love what I'm hearing from this TROS FYC, but if someone doesn't.... I dunno...

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I agree, but I hope people aren't getting their hopes up *too* much that there will be some vast huge difference.  The TFA and TLJ FYCs were way inferior presentations compared to their corresponding OSTs, but you *did* get a pretty good idea of the score overall from both.  I love what I'm hearing from this TROS FYC, but if someone doesn't.... I dunno...

Agree. Mainly just waiting on a concert suite and end credits, hoping they rank at least somewhere in the middle of Star Wars faves. Other than that, longer tracks in general would be nice, hoping for more battle stuff toward the end which there’s not that great a sense of from the FYC. 

And then people start chiming in that it would be too expensive to produce , re-use fees, no market for it...

So there IS a market for a 2 c.d. Silvestri Avengers but not for a John Williams Star Wars score. Is that what I'm supposed to understand?

6 minutes ago, King Mark said:

And then people start chiming in that it would be too expensive to produce , re-use fees, no market for it...

So there IS a market for a 2 c.d. Silvestri Avengers but not for a John Williams Star Wars score. Is that what I'm supposed to understand?

Your point stands about more music getting officially released for Avengers but I need to point out that Endgame only got a 1 disc CD release.  The longer deluxe edition was digital only I think.

I think Conrad Pope gave an interview where he talked about JW having an old school approach to album releases and delivering a compact, single CD of music and is actually somewhat disbelieving that anyone would want a 2 cd release with every bit of underscore or minor motif for an official OST release.

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

I think Conrad Pope gave an interview where he talked about JW having an old school approach to album releases and delivering a compact, single CD of music and is actually somewhat disbelieving that anyone would want a 2 cd release with every bit of underscore or minor motif for an official OST release.

Well, than Mr. Williams needs to visit this forum more often. :lol:

5 hours ago, artguy360 said:

JW is thinking in classic film terms.  For example, in "Gone with the Wind", Max Steiner composed over three hours of score in 99 cues, of which two hours and 36 minutes are used in the film and 76 minutes are in the expanded soundtrack from 2013 and almost all of the score can be experienced in about 30 minutes with much of the remaining music being a variant of something else. About half the score is 30 second segues between scenes.  They just believed a lot of the underscore isn't particularly valuable as a listening experience and frankly they're right about everyone but completists and us die-hards which is a very small part of the audience. He's a fan of the soundtracks he grew up with just we are...I love soundtracks that feature most of the score plus a few suites that aren't in the film and a big overture style finale but that is a very retro style. In the 1990's weren't there soundtrack albums that were mostly pop albums that featured music "inspired by the film"?  Like wasn't Batman '89 a pop album though the soundtrack is almost entirely symphonic?  I thought the same with The Matrix.  We had to wait many years to hear most of the orchestral score.  "Event Horizon" soundtrack has very little music that is actually in the movie.

5 hours ago, Ricard said:

I think it's both. Williams because it's his preferred way of presenting his music, and Disney because it's their preferred way of milking the cash cow ;)

That doesn't follow. Disney has released at least 2 expanded Avengers albums alongside their regular OST counterparts on day 1.The decision may have made at Marvel Studios, but clearly, Disney was ok with putting all the music out there. I don't see any reason why they would let Marvel do that, but not Lucasfilm.