The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

Even after listening to everything, 0:56 - 1:28 of Prologue is still my favorite section from the music we've heard from this movie so far. And when I listen to the OST, I keep expecting it at 2:33 in Journey to Exegol, so I have to go and listen to Prologue again.

37 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

@Jay I believe you left Farewell (OST 16 surely) off your editing guide entirely.

Fixed - specifically, I fixed the version in the main post, as I won't be maintaining the one on this page.

13 minutes ago, dylanskie said:

Even after listening to everything, 0:56 - 1:28 of Prologue is still my favorite section from the music we've heard from this movie so far. And when I listen to the OST, I keep expecting it at 2:33 in Journey to Exegol, so I have to go and listen to Prologue again.

I love that section too!  The brass solo struggling to break through the chugging rhythm is really cool

I haven't tried yet but I hope it can be edited into the OST track cleanly

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I love that section too!  The brass solo struggling to break through the chugging rhythm is really cool

I haven't tried yet but I hope it can be edited into the OST track cleanly

Yeah, it sounds like a trumpet solo is playing the Anthem of Evil theme behind it, which makes it even better. I was going to try to edit it in tonight but didn’t get around to it. I’ll try tomorrow. It should be pretty easy, but we have no idea if the section from 2:33 to the end of Journey to Exegol is what follows Prologue in the film. Or do you think it’s safe to assume that Prologue (FYC) is how it is in the film, and 0:56 to the end should be edited into 2:33 of Journey of Exegol? Or just 0:56 to 1:28, since 1:28-end isn’t on the OST? So many questions!

I realized today that I love Williams’ Star Wars scores so much because they’re like a puzzle that you can never really completely solve. And for me, I don’t necessarily need the finished picture all put together because the process itself is really satisfying by itself. All the guessing and editing can be tedious at times, but it’s still pretty fun.

56 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Wouldn't be cool if they put up the FYC again but with different  cues? Maybe they realized it sucked and want to improve it.

They got the shortlist mention they wanted! Now they don't need it.

Everyone and their mother will watch the film and experience the score in context. You could argue they don't need an fyc anymore.

Differences I've found so ar that aren't noted on Jason's sheet:

I'm thinking 1:19-2:21 of The Final Saber Duel might be the original opening to Healing Wounds and the FYC has an insert for that part. 2:21 onward doesn't have the fade from the strings that the FYC does.

The FYC's opening of Battle Of The Resistance is simply cut down (OST 0:04.5-0:08, mixed in with 1:12).

5 hours ago, Colonial Marine said:

Unless I'm crazy, the FYC page seems to be live again. Now with the track titles.

https://disneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-score.html

You are not crazy and thanks for the heads-up, @Colonial Marine!!  The FYC site is indeed back on-line and with new MP3 file names/links, though the files are bit-for-bit identical to the ones that were originally available.  I have updated the 2019 FYC site accordingly.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

SCORE TIME - 1:26:44

Cool!

Now, let's do some math. Firstly, let's suppose the movie is as densely scored as TLJ - it's the final chapter of the saga, needs more epic music, etc. So, considering 141 minutes of runtime and an amount of music proportional to the latest movie, this means TROS has 130 minutes of music. 

Taking into account the hypothesis that the movie may not have as much music proportionaly as TLJ, I guess we can imagine that, out of 141 minutes, 115 - 130 minutes of it have music.

So, considering the FYC and OST (and excluding the concert arrangements), we still have about between 30 - 45 minutes of unreleased music that appears on the film. And that's not taking into account alternates, unused music, etc.

It's a lot of stuff, but thankfully less than on TLJ.

6 hours ago, Colonial Marine said:

Unless I'm crazy, the FYC page seems to be live again. Now with the track titles.

https://disneystudiosawards.com/star-wars-score.html

Hey, that's great! 

1 hour ago, thx99 said:

You are not crazy and thanks for the heads-up, @Colonial Marine!!  The FYC site is indeed back on-line and with new MP3 file names/links, though the files are bit-for-bit identical to the ones that were originally available.  I have updated the 2019 FYC site accordingly.

Thanks!

I'll put the working links in the main post here, too

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Is there any way of improving the quality of the FYC so it sounds like an OST? Or do I need to be a sound engineer to do that?

The music already sounds more or less the same as it does on the OST, except where they've pitch-shifted it or done other edits to it to conform to the final picture.  The sound of the OST is not that drastically different from the film mix used on the FYC.

However, the only access we have to the FYC right now is 192kbps mp3s, which means that perfect sound was altered when the files were compressed down to a smaller size for streaming.  There is nothing we can do about that.  All we can do is hope physical copies (pressed CDs) of the FYC album show up on ebay, which happened to TFA and TLJ, but is not a guarantee this time.

7 hours ago, Gistech said:

I'm thinking 1:19-2:21 of The Old Death Star might be the original opening to Off The Waterfront and the FYC has an insert for that part. 2:21 onward doesn't have the fade from the strings that the FYC does.

I'm not following exactly what you mean or the reasoning behind it.  Can you explain differently or with more detail?

7 hours ago, Gistech said:

The FYC's opening of Battle Of The Resistance is simply cut down (OST 0:04.5-0:08, mixed in with 1:12).

I figured it might be tracked, thanks for that!  I'll update the main post.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm not following exactly what you mean or the reasoning behind it.  Can you explain differently or with more detail?

I think the FYC uses an insert to replace that material on the OST.

10 minutes ago, Gistech said:

I think the FYC uses an insert to replace that material on the OST.

What timestamp are you hearing in insert?

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

What timestamp are you hearing in insert?

I named the wrong cue. I meant Healing Wounds. 0:00-0:31 is what I would assume is an insert to replace some or all of 1:19-2:21 of the OST's The Final Saber Duel.

49 minutes ago, Gistech said:

I named the wrong cue. I meant Healing Wounds

Now you're confusing me even more.  FYC Healing Wounds relates to OST The Final Saber Duel, not OST The Old Death Star.

I understand the fact that when you create a FYC album (intended for an Oscar nomination), as a composer or a producer, you try to put the highlight on the new material.

But my god, in the case of TROS, it means to remove all the big moving and nostalgic parts!

So, now, having listened to both the FYC and the OST... I really hope Williams will get an Oscar for TROS.

This score can't be judged only by his FYC album!

Parents and Coming Together sound like very important dramatic cues especially for Kylo. I'm really glad there are on the FYC. They would have been sorely missed if they are high in the mix in the movie and remained unreleased. 

I think that "clean ending" [FYC 1:37-end] is part of Journey to Exegol, and [1:28-1:37] is music JJ tracked in there that was written for an earlier scene, which is why it's in the first OST track.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:11 PM, Jay said:

01 Prologue (1:45)

• [0:00-0:07] (0:07) = NOT ON OST (Doesn't sound like a true clean opening, sounds faked)
  • [0:07-0:26] (0:19) = OST 02 Journey to Exegol [1:02-1:20]
  • [0:26-0:28] (0:02) = OST 02 Journey to Exegol [1:24-1:25]
  • [0:28-0:36] (0:08) = OST 02 Journey to Exegol [1:31-1:40]
  • [0:36-0:56] (0:20) = OST 02 Journey to Exegol [2:13-2:33]
  • [0:56-1:28] (0:32)  = NOT ON OST
  • [1:28-1:37] (0:09) = OST 01 Fanfare and Prologue [1:44-1:52]
  • [1:37-end] (0:07) = NOT ON OST (Unclear if this is a clean ending or something else)

But I don't know for certain or anything, just speculation

Just listened to Falcon Flight once again. The string rhythms for some reason reminded me of Zimmer's The Dark Knight Rises, when Batman and Catwoman are chasing that truck with the nuke:

It's depressing that such great action music is barely audible on the movie.

Gonna be honest, feel pretty stupid because I didn't download this before because I wanted to see the movie first. Now it's defunct, and I can't seem to get the downloading from webarchive to work. Any possible solutions?

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Is the film mix more like in The Force Awakens or more like in The Last Jedi?

To my ears: the former, unfortunately.

I was pumped for that amazing trumpet flourish in ‘Falcon Flight’: completely inaudible!

At times, the sound effects were louder than the dialogue. I thought my eyeballs were going to explode during certain scenes. However, the mix in the in released clips is great in that I can hear everything very clearly including the music. Too bad they didn’t mix it closely to the clips for the final cut.

The music is very prominent in the sound mix. I was reminded of the sound mix for TLJ. There were only moments where the sound effects overwhelmed the mix but it was not a consistent issue at all. From beginning to end the music was clear with a front and center role in the sound mix. 

From all the varying reports coming in, I guess it just varies from theater to theater - maybe even where you are sitting within the theater.

When I saw it, I could hear all the music very well the entire time

The music sounded quite up front initially, but after a while it seemed less noticeable in the mix. And in the final bit it really picked up again.

There aren't a lot of scenes where the score gets to breath or take center stage. Something JJ usually does do 

The music was buried the moment after the scroll ended at my theater. I could hear some of the loud brassy moments and every iteration of an old theme. I guess Atmos values sound effects more than music.

22 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

During the Falcon Flight and the Speeder Chase scenes, the music was barely audible.

I think half of the speeder chase didn’t have music. I tried very hard to hear it.