The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

Boy am I pissed that the FYC is down at the Disney page other than streaming. I had a feeling something stupid like this would happen since I saw this entry later in its release than the previous two in the trilogy. Half of the YouTube videos with the music have been removed too. Crap.

56 minutes ago, Goldsmithfan said:

Boy am I pissed that the FYC is down at the Disney page other than streaming. I had a feeling something stupid like this would happen since I saw this entry later in its release than the previous two in the trilogy. Half of the YouTube videos with the music have been removed too. Crap.

Well, you’re in luck… see the OP:

On 12/10/2019 at 2:11 PM, Jay said:

In case Disney ever takes the files down, they are archived permanently here:

Reveal hidden contents

Unless you’re pissed for a more abstract reason?

It actually makes perfect sense. It was up until the music branch had to submit their pics. The 5 nominees for all the categories hasn't been announced yet. No one's doing any boring right now. Voting starts after all the nominees are announced on Monday. If TROS is one of the 5 best score nominees, it'll probably be back up. If not, it probably won't. 

Do you think there's any chance the potential re-uploaded FYC would be updated/altered? Since the film differs some ("Approaching the Throne", for instance) from the FYC we got, before. Not sure how strict they are, about that.

Seems most likely to me that they prepped the files and the site for a potential nomination and then accidentally made it public for the period they did.

What reason would they have to intentionally stream them for a small window and wiith no titles? And particularly when JW wouldn't approve of non-voters hearing it like this.

It wasn't streamed for a small window, thx99 simply happened to discover the URL a few hours before it was taken down.  It was streaming long before that, we just had no idea.  

Again, it was streaming so members of the music branch could decide if they wanted to nominate it to be one of the 5 nominees announced on Monday that the entire academy will afterwards vote on to determine the winner.  It was taken down at 5pm PST on that day, which was the day their nominations had to be submitted by.

If @thx99 hadn't figure out the URL a few hours before that deadline, wed never have heard this album. He's a hero.

I thought it was taken down once the cutoff passed to make the shortlist of 15 scores, and the music branch has spent the last few weeks determining the 5 nominees from that shortlist. Isn't that the whole point of announcing the shortlist of eligible scores? 

Isn't there only 2 rounds of voting, with the short list be announced before everything is re-tabulated and re-qualified to announce the final nominees?  Or do the separate branches all re-vote again once the short lists are made?

I guess their thinking is the music branch already had the FYC by the deadline for round 1, so they don't need to make it available again for round 2

7 hours ago, Bofur01 said:

I saw David Arnold reply to a tweet saying that he only received his TRoS FYC yesterday... whether that was referring to just the DVD of the film, I don’t know... but it might be hopeful!

Great news! Manufacturing delays I wonder?

It's definitely a weird selection, having become used to the OST but I'm not sure there's some huge missing setpiece that would improve it (that isn't primarily existing themes). 

But it's mostly tracked and hacked up in the film, leaning heavily on action variations of Rey's Theme (pre-existing material) so its omission is understandable. The OST track would be a different story but barely any of it survived into the final cut. 

They probably could've included the end credits from the fanfare up until the end of the Anthem of Evil arrangement, before the Imperial March starts. Other FYCs have shown you can just cleanly fade segments in and out even if it doesn't appear that way in the film. A nice summary of two new ideas to close the FYC. 

I’m listening to the “THE FILM SCORE” edit more or less as Jay outlines in the OP, and I wanted to split it up into a “2-disc” program. Here’s how I broke it up, and where I placed the concert pieces.

1. Fanfare and Prologue
  2. Journey to Exegol
  3. Falcon Flight
  4. We Go Together (OST)
  5. The Speeder Chase
  6. In the Desert
  7. A Prisoner
  8. To Kijimi
  9. Fleeing from Kijimi
  10. Hallway Shooting
  11. Hard to Get Rid Of
  12. I’m the Spy
  13. Join Me
  14. The Old Death Star
  15. Off the Waterfront
  16. The Final Saber Duel
  17. Healing Wounds
  18. Anthem of Evil
  1. The Rise of Skywalker
  2. Advice
  3. Destiny of a Jedi
  4. They Will Come
  5. Battle of the Resistance
  6. Approaching the Throne
  7. Parents
  8. Coming Together
  9. Seeing Sights
  10. Rescue
  11. Farewell
  12. Reunion
  13. A New Home
  14. Finale

What do you think? Any other ideas?

At 01.53 on "Hard to Get Rid Of" I think you can here a very brief appearance of The Imperial March. Now I have only seen the film once but is it not around that moment Vader's helmet transports from Ray on the Star Destroyer to Kylo Ren on Kijimi?

I don't hear Vader's Theme there myself, but the helmet crashes down shortly before the crescendo at 2:00

What, the FYC album?  The files are stored on Disney's website.  Just right-click, Save As all the links in the main post of this thread.  Nothing is stored on JWfan's server, it's on Disney's server.

My appreciation for Falcon Flight has grown considerably over the last week. I think it's probably the best (released) action cue on the score, and Williams definetly should've included that on the OST, instead of the less interesting Fleeing from Kijimi, for instance. 

Actually, I would've removed Journey to Exegol as well to open space for more important unreleased important material from the climax (of course, The Arrival of Lando and/or Ren and Rey vs Knights). Considering this is the final chapter, I guess music from the ending, the climax, should've been prioritized.

Ideally, all the music should've been released on a 3 disc set, but since we're talking about 77 min OSTs...

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

I would have been waaaay more miffed if Falcon Flight wasn't available in any form than I am about Lando Arrives. It's a lot more fun and interesing.

And there's even an early alternate of the cue as well, that we might never hear... ;)

Just now, Taikomochi said:

It’s especially bonkers that it was excluded since it was tracked all over the film. It plays like 3 or 4 times. It’s pretty hard to miss.

I'm too lazy to check but presumably these instances aren't covered in that leaked spreadsheet? Considering that version of the film is dated around the same time Falcon Flight was actually recorded, which means all this tracking occurred in the dying weeks of post.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I'm too lazy to check but presumably these instances aren't covered in that leaked spreadsheet?

It isn't, unfortunately, but I remember on the Complete Score thread we found out that one of the instances on which it was tracked was during the Speeder Chase scene. The other was I think during the climax.

Actually, on the Nov 11 cut, it was predicted the usage of Speeder Chase (3M03 No Title), albeit in a shorter form (the OST version has 3:21, the movie would've used 2:16). So maybe the OST is a concert arrangement, or maybe when Williams recorded this music the scene was a little longer, then got trimmed down, and then the music got ultimately unused.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

It isn't, unfortunately, but I remember on the Complete Score thread we found out that one of the instances on which it was tracked was during the Speeder Chase scene. The other was I think during the climax.

Actually, on the Nov 11 cut, it was predicted the usage of Speeder Chase (3M03 No Title), albeit in a shorter form (the OST version has 3:16, the movie would've used 2:16). So maybe the OST is a concert arrangement, or maybe when Williams recorded this music the scene was a little longer, then got trimmed down, and then the music got ultimately unused.

Probably a case of a film cue, with a CD only concert ending

Probably yeah, but one minute of a CD only ending? I dunno, even with that I still think the chase was a little longer, maybe 30s or more, when Williams scored it. Then by Nov 11 they trimmed his composition to 2:16 before ultimately deciding to not use the music at all by the final cut :(

Doesn't seem like it.  No pressed CDs ever showed up on ebay, most likely indicating Disney never mailed any out

Every voting member is probably of clicking a weblink and listening to a score on a website

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

My appreciation for Falcon Flight has grown considerably over the last week. I think it's probably the best (released) action cue on the score, and Williams definetly should've included that on the OST, instead of the less interesting Fleeing from Kijimi, for instance. 

Fleeing from Kijimi is one of my favourite cues, you monster! 

So I saw the movie again and I believe that the opening of the movie is an edit of Fanfare and Prologue (OST) [0:00 to 1:42]

Prologue (FYC) [entire track]

Fanfare and Prologue (OST) [2:04 to 4:34]

Could be wrong on the edit time codes but I think they are close. Also Journey to Exegol seems to be the Alternate for the opening sequence. 

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Doesn't seem like it.  No pressed CDs ever showed up on ebay, most likely indicating Disney never mailed any out

Didn't David Arnold post on Facebook that he only just received his copy of the FYC around the same time the nominations were announced? That would imply a physical copy, not a download link.

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Didn't David Arnold post on Facebook that he only just received his copy of the FYC around the same time the nominations were announced? That would imply a physical copy, not a download link.

That doesn't imply it's a physical copy. For all we know he was sent a digital copy via email from the academy.