The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

I saw a photo of a disc... which was admittedly most likely the film itself, rather than the soundtrack, but wouldn’t it be weird to have a disc for the film vs a download for the soundtrack?

38 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

I saw a photo of a disc... which was admittedly most likely the film itself, rather than the soundtrack, but wouldn’t it be weird to have a disc for the film vs a download for the soundtrack?

If it was the film, it would've leaked online by now, IMO.

EDIT: Is this the picture? Amazingly this photo is over a month old.

NllYyvX.jpg

EDIT 2: Nope, looks like you were spot on! It's the film itself, judging by this photo:

kawifx2y3z541.jpg

Each copy must be uniquely watermarked to disencourage piracy.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:45 PM, Jay said:

Doesn't seem like it.  No pressed CDs ever showed up on ebay, most likely indicating Disney never mailed any out

Every voting member is probably of clicking a weblink and listening to a score on a website

A shame DIsney didn't bother uploading a better quality version, to present the score in its best light. It's like they're barely even trying to help JW win.

What's more likely to resonate with Academy voters? A weblink in some random email that could easily get filtered into their spam folder, or a physical CD mailed to their home address? Such a no-brainer.

Let's face it, the quality of the FYC is meager in comparison to the presentation and editing. It's not something Williams would be proud to submit.

Lucky whoever bought it. I didn't even think to keep checking eBay as it has been pretty quiet since like early December..so I missed out as well :(

And I also highly doubt the next time (if ever soon) will be as cheap as $99.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

Because the CD wouldn't be bloody 192kbps MP3s?

My primary way of listening to music only plays mp3's. I doubt I'd hear a difference anyway. 

For edits it's better to have lossless to avoid a compression cycle when you re-encode to MP3 for your portable player.

That said all the music I listen to is 320k MP3 unless I can't have that

I have good headphones and can't tell the difference between a FLAC and MP3 192k and above

The soundcard on your computer and headphones make a dramatic difference in sound quality vs bitrate 192k and above

I think it’s true that people tend to overestimate their ability to distinguish low bitrate stuff relative to their equipment. But having said that, with all the Chi-fi audio gear these days, very transparent audiophile setups are more affordable and available to more people than ever. Even mainstream stuff like AirPods, Beats, and Sony are improving rapidly, and in turn, more people feel comfortable dropping several hundred bucks on a pair of cans. In that environment, 192 kbps does seem like a shabby way to release anything.

I wonder how many FYCs on CD get sent out per score? 500? 1000? More than that?

Do they only go to the music branch or all members (in the case of Oscar voters - not sure how FYCs work with other awards)?

Wow I can't believe that physical copy came and went and nobody on JWFan noticed.  Shame on all of us!

Here's the pics so at least we have a permanent archive of what it looked like it case no more ever turn up

Spoiler

TROSFYCfront.jpgTROSFYCrear.jpg

If it means we can get a lossless copy of the FYC, I'd contribute. Better than never hearing it at all.

Be interesting to see if more copies pop up in the next 6 days (before the auction ends).

Make a bid of ___, hoping no one will outdo it. Then after it's ripped, put it back up and share the proceedings evenly! ;)

Announcing your bids publicly is the quickest way for people to learn how to outbid you

If you're serious about pooling money to bid on this, you want to have that discussion in private, not publicly

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Why is "Advice" not on the official soundtrack?! John Williams is really brings it to the boil!

Oh yeah!

This particular part I've linked to is probably the most impactful part of the score and film for me, especially those devastating horns at 1:25!

3 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I'll take a serious stab at trying to get this for you guys (assuming the price doesn't get too crazy). Outside of JWFan donations, I'd like to try and give back to this community somehow to repay the great amount it has given me. 

Well, I agree that if the price doesn't get too crazy, you should be able to rip it and put it right back up on eBay and either make most or all of your money back. 

That said, if you do end up running a deficit, then just take note of all the folks (me included) who said they'd help contribute to the cause. ;)