The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't think it's possible.  Disney Records would have given the same album to all digital resellers at the same time.

Unless Shazam's process involves an employee manually typing in names and he made a typo, it's unlikely they are different from the final names.

They would have started printing the booklets for the physical CDs before they sent this digital OST out too.  The titles ain't changing.

Makes sense. We'll see shortly! At least they got "Kimiji" right--it's still weird to me that they misspelled it on the FYC. I know it's not an official release or anything of the sort, but it's for voters, and they should want to make it all accurate.

After all the straightforward solemnity of the Force Theme from The Last Jedi, and Force Awakens to a lesser extent, it's nice that most of the statements on this FYC are ballsier and more whimsical.

Hey I thought of something that might have been discussed, or could be totally weird and easily debunked: what if A New Home isn't for a film scene, but a kind of epilogue for the end credits?

43 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Hey I thought of something that might have been discussed, or could be totally weird and easily debunked: what if A New Home isn't for a film scene, but a kind of epilogue for the end credits?

That was actually my thought too when I first listened to it. In my opinion it doesn't sound like Star Wars (other than Rey's theme in there obviously)--it sounds like something entirely new (like the epilogue is set 20 years after the end of the movie or something)

Just now, dylanskie said:

That was actually my thought too when I first listened to it. In my opinion it doesn't sound like Star Wars (other than Rey's theme in there obviously)--it sounds like something entirely new (like the epilogue is set 20 years after the end of the movie or something)

As well, the last two movies have had pretty subdued codas featuring Rey's Theme. 

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Yeah.

Well... like I've said a few times already, we'll most likely know in a few hours!

As a side note, those statements of Rey's theme in the end credits of both TFA and TLJ are some of my favorite moments of those two scores.

Just now, Arpy said:

If the leaks are true, A New Home is a film cue.

The reason I suggest that is because Farewell sounds...well, final, and unless Abrams says screw it to the Star Wars formula, there's never been an epilogue scene after credits start. The track sounds very self-contained, and it doesn't lead into anything. 

Oh. 

1 minute ago, dylanskie said:

Well... like I've said a few times already, we'll most likely know in a few hours!

As a side note, those statements of Rey's theme in the end credits of both TFA and TLJ are some of my favorite moments of those two scores.

It's fun to speculate! The first time I've done this on a Star  Wars score now that I think about it! 

2 minutes ago, dylanskie said:

Yes, especially TFA's marriage of Rey's Theme and The Force Theme.

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

It's fun to speculate! The first time I've done this on a Star  Wars score now that I think about it! 

Agreed! And at least we have music to speculate about, too. It would be way harder to do if we didn't have the FYC. Or would it be easier...

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Yes, especially TFA's marriage of Rey's Theme and The Force Theme.

It wouldn't be a first entry in a Star Wars trilogy score if Williams didn't tease a thematic direction that he would never  really follow up on again! 

The advantage of a post-credit epilogue would be people actually listening to Williams music on its own for a few minutes.  That being said, outside of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, epilogues suck.  

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

Pay attention to what thread you're in, Arpy. No film spoilers in this one. 

I was speculating regarding track titles available in this thread! Nothing in my post was any hint of a spoiler, Jay!

12 hours ago, Arpy said:

If the leaks are true, [...]

Dude.  This is a spoiler.

if you're talking about leaks, it's a spoiler.  It's quite simple.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Dude.  This is a spoiler.

if you're talking about leaks, it's a spoiler.  It's quite simple.

He didn't talk about the leaks, he implied he read the leaks, which isn't leaking anything and therefore not a spoiler.

Saying a cue from a movie score is most likely scoring a movie scene is NOT a spoiler, don't be absurd! 

Unless you are really surprised that music from a movie soundtrack is in fact part of the movie. 

38 minutes ago, aviazn said:

Well, after listening to the OST, in terms of being a representation of the original material, this might be the worst FYC I've ever heard!

Pretty much killing the already tiny chances of Williams getting his sixth Oscar this year :( 

Here.... we... go!

01 Prologue (1:45)

• [0:00-0:07] (0:07) = NOT ON OST
  • [0:07-0:26] (0:19) = OST 02 Journey to Exegol [1:02-1:20]
  • [0:26-0:28] (0:02) = NOT ON OST?
  • [0:28-0:36] (0:08) = OST 02 Journey to Exegol [1:32-1:40]
  • [0:36-0:56] (0:20) = OST 02 Journey to Exegol [2:13-2:33]
  • [0:56-1:28] (0:32)  = NOT ON OST
  • [1:28-1:37] (0:09) = OST 01 Fanfare and Prologue [1:44-1:52]
  • [1:37-end] (0:07) = NOT ON OST?

02 Falcon Flight (2:22)

• [all] = NOT ON OST

03 We Go Together (2:10)

• [all] = OST 09 We Go Together [0:00-2:33], with minor differences

04 In the Desert (2:26)

• [all] = NOT ON OST

05 A Prisoner (1:23)

• [all] = NOT ON OST

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Pretty much killing the already tiny chances of Williams getting his sixth Oscar this year :( 

It would really surprise me if Academy voters actually just judged the FYCs instead of the whole film, even if they weren't supposed to.

06 To Kimiji (1:37)

• [all] = NOT ON OST

07 Fleeing from Kimiji (1:53)

• [0:00-1:35] (1:35) = OST 08 Fleeing From Kijimi [0:00-1:38], with minor differences
  • [1:35-end] (0:18) = NOT ON OST (Sounds like the proper ending to the cue)

08 Hallway Shooting (2:11)

• [all] = NOT ON OST

6 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

It would really surprise me if Academy voters actually just judged the FYCs instead of the whole film, even if they weren't supposed to.

I think that in Brokeback Mountain case they watched the movie. 

09 Hard to Get Rid Of (2:19)

• [all] = NOT ON OST

10 Join Me (2:21)

• [all] = OST 10 Join Me, with several sections removed

11 The Old Death Star (2:14)

• [0:00-1:14] (1:14) = OST 04 The Old Death Star [0:00-1:19], with minor differences
  • [1:14-end] (1:00) = NOT ON OST (Probably the full ending to the cue)

13 Final Saber Duel (1:38)

• [0:00-1:10] (1:10) = OST 12 The Final Saber Duel [0:00-1:05], with minor differences
  • [1:10-end] (0:27)  = NOT ON OST (The proper full ending to the cue)

25 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I am liking the amount of FYC tracks not on OST. The more, the better!

the problem is you don’t know how they’ve been manipulated.  For instance, without the OST track how would we know that the FYC opening of “Approaching the Throne” has been pitch shifted down?

16 Battle of the Resistance (1:54)

• [0:00-0:02] (0:02) = NOT ON OST?
  • [0:02-end] (1:52) = OST 13 Battle of the Resistance [1:12-end], with minor differences

17 Approaching the Throne (4:16)

• [all] = OST 14 Approaching The Throne, with minor differences (including a pitch-shifted opening and a different ending [a different choral performance with less orchestra under it])

18 Parents (1:57)

• [all] = NOT ON OST

19 Coming Together (1:44)

• [all] = NOT ON OST

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

the problem is you don’t know how they’ve been manipulated.  For instance, without the OST track how would we know that the FYC opening of “Approaching the Throne” has been pitch shifted down?

of course it could be an alternate, I hadn’t thought of that!

20 Seeing Sights (3:17)

• [all] = OST 15 The Force Is With You [0:00-3:02], with minor difference (including a clean ending)

21 Rescue (1:10)

• [0:00-0:15] (0:15) = OST 15 The Force Is With You [3:02-3:16]
  • [0:15-0:30] (0:15) = NOT ON OST
  • [0:30-end] (0:40) = OST 15 The Force Is With You [3:16-end]

22 Farewell (4:27)

• [all] = OST 16 Farewell [0:48-end], with minor differences

23 A New Home (1:42)

• [all] = OST 18 A New Home, with minor differences

On 12/12/2019 at 9:57 AM, Pellaeon said:

03 We Go Together - surely this was recorded at a much slower tempo than what is presented here?

On 12/13/2019 at 8:21 AM, Pellaeon said:

There’s something off about it—it pulses and swells in a way which sounds artificial—and I thought you guys would have a better idea what that is about. I thought it could just be compression artifacts, but because it would also make better musical sense if played at about 3/4 of that tempo, I thought might be it.

Great call on this! You were absolutely right.