The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

1 minute ago, Remco said:

.....and it’s gone!!!

I hope everybody saved their files.

haha, that should have been your very first reflex

and if were lucky that was a prototype  FYC, and the real one will have even different music!

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

I like how Kylo's theme shifts slightly throughout - going from menacing to melancholic - even slightly optimistic in 'Parents'. 

Really, all of the recurring material is heavily varied. Love it!

I listened to the first four tracks but I stopped until I listen to the OST as I want to hear the music in high quality for my first listen. What I’ve heard so far is absolutely excellent, though. As someone else said, it sounds very inspired and not as if Williams is on autopilot... unlike certain parts of TLJ and even TFA. It’s really good so far and I can’t wait to hear more. I have to keep reminding myself that this FYC is only 50 minutes of a 2hour, 10 minute film (minus the credits). I imagine the film will have wall to wall music.

26 minutes ago, Remco said:

.....and it’s gone!!!

I hope everybody saved their files.

This is what I get for living on the left coast and getting dinner before checking the 'board.

Went to my favorite on-line place of worship, but it turns out that it has been down for over a week.

Guess I'll just have to wait.  Oh, darn.

5 minutes ago, bruckhorn said:

Went to my favorite on-line place of worship, but it turns out that it has been down for over a week.

Oh it's been about 3.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I couldn't figure out how to put this in words before, but I think I can now:

I thinks this feels to me more like a second, different sequel score to TFA that ignores TLJ, rather than a 3rd entry in a series following TFA and TLJ. Does that make sense? 

so far based on what we have that’s a great way of putting it. 

They couldn't fly that thing over to the base? They all had to walk there with Kylo's shuttle keeping pace?

4 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Need a hand with that?

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania laser ram last jedi

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

I couldn't figure out how to put this in words before, but I think I can now:

I thinks this feels to me more like a second, different sequel score to TFA that ignores TLJ, rather than a 3rd entry in a series following TFA and TLJ. Does that make sense? 

That's why this sequel trilogy will ultimately be considered a failure and missed opportunity. 

"We're not going to retcon The Last Jedi."

lol

Just now, Romão said:

It's taking all the resistance I can muster, but I will wait for the OST. I don't think this a proper or fair way to first experience a Star Wars score

yeah, but your ruining your JWfan experience

2 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

.This being my first Williams score to experience with the forum as it comes out, I couldn't be happier. Thank you all for joining me in my excitement!

Wow you weren't here in 2002?

Hmm. This prob isn't a very fair representation of the score. At first listen, the underscore has some interesting moments (some very fine clusters), but is mostly unremarkable until the last act. And even then, I'm not especially excited about it. At the very least, it does sound a little more striking than TLJ.

The last track sounds like its nodding to the "Jedi Steps" material.

5 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Nope. I only joined as the The Last Jedi and The Post hype was dying down. This is a revelation for me, as far as my JW Fan career goes.

I joined in the War Horse/Tintin days...the forum was insane with JW activity then. I've never seen any new JW score really muster that kind of hysteria since.

41 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yeah, but your ruining your JWfan experience

I thought I was gonna try and go into the movie completely cold with this one after listening to just the concert pieces from TFA and the whole OST for TLJ, but ya know, it's more fun to freak out along with everybody. I never expected a leak this early. 

And it's the first time since Ep 3 that I've heard the music first before reading anybody else's reactions or descriptions of it (the music didn't get out from TFA or TLJ until after the movies had premiered) so I'm satisfied with this being a different way to go. I got to have my own impressions. And it only could have happened in this era of FYC sites.

25 minutes ago, KK said:

I joined in the War Horse/Tintin days...the forum was insane with JW activity then. I've never seen any new JW score really muster that kind of hysteria since.

That was great because it was a 3 year drought and I cherish it because those were my first JWFan scores too, but I think TFA was crazier. People going nuts over commercials, the digital Amazon leak, hair-pulling over YouTube commenters, Blume's Rey's Theme thread, the novelty of an FYC stream for Star Wars, the mental gymnastics that turned people's opinions around and around.

Oddly enough, the material from this score reminds me more of TLJ than TFA - aside from thematic material of course, but then again there's not much of the thematic material from TLJ that would make sense to have here. I don't know whether it's the instrumentation or the harmonic structures, but I get a huge blend of TLJ and TFA,  leaning more towards TLJ. (It should be noted that I have a form of synesthesia, though, so it could just be a weird thing tied to that)

0:57 of Join Me sounds like a string lament crossover between The Immolation Scene and The Starkiller. Stellar Imperial March quote in The Old Death Star. Off the Waterfront is too cool! I expected it, but I'm still in shock at how much Williams squeezes out of March of the Resistance every time. I'm picking up on a lot of that Revenge of the Sith esque drama in bits and pieces. Choir backing Leia's theme in Healing Wounds! And Don wasn't kidding. There's a good lot of timpani!

If this were back in the prequel days, and Lucas had directed it, I'm sure instead of asking why this doesn't necessarily feel like a successor to The Last Jedi in terms of musical continuity, we'd all be dumped with tracking from the last scores! 

Lucas would drop The Fathiers in Resistance Battle or something ala the unused Arena music from AotC for the march on the Jedi Temple...

The score is fantastic, but again without context and a proper presentation its a bit... whelming? Like not quite underwhelming, just whelming. It's about average compared to the previous two JW Star Wars scores; I was expecting something a bit more grandiose considering this is literally his last Star Wars score ever.

WOW!  On the other side of the world I wake up and lo behold! 

Just barely skimmed through the cues at the expense of spoilers in the midst of them all. A musical motif and development made some unexpected revelations which I wont say here but damn! 

Somebody at the FYC Academy is going to get the brunt of it all. The Youtube video is still on until some one looks into it.

My first impression matches what most of the folks have said. It retains the new edgy dark writings from the new installments. Every cue is interesting but I'am going to reserve my feelings for the final product when it comes out and of course the film experience.