The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

On 12/10/2019 at 12:11 PM, Jay said:

06 To Kimiji (1:37)

07 Fleeing from Kimiji (1:53)

Funny, it's actually Kijimi, not Kimiji. Someone makes a typo and now it's impossible to get rid of it from teh internets.

KIJIMI

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Kijimi

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

Anyone else utterly adore that magical moment in 'Healing Wounds' (00:31-00:42)? I don't know how to describe it, like a ray of light or something watery, glistening. Flutes, strings, harp etc. Such a warm fuzzy sound.

One of my favourite bits from the FYC!

I was listening to the TESB score yesterday and the ending of "The Rebels Escape Again" reminded me a little of the bit that you're referring to:

On 12/10/2019 at 9:11 PM, Jay said:

07 Fleeing from Kimiji (1:53)

• 0:00 NEW THEME #3 (Action ostinato we heard in a TV commercial)
  • 0:23 Kylo Ren's Theme
  • 0:34 Kylo Ren's Theme
  • 1:17 NEW THEME #2 (new character theme?)

Could New Theme #2 be a theme for the trio? Sense it appears when the trio is together in the new clip. 

2 hours ago, Smaug the iron said:

Could New Theme #2 be a theme for the trio? Sense it appears when the trio is together in the new clip. 

Could it be a theme for Finn finally? I think we all thought that action theme from TFA was Finn's theme because Boyega promised us that he has a theme. But turned out it wasn't his theme since it was nowhere to be found in TLJ. So Williams relented and wrote him a new theme and did not want to wait till he got a shitty Finn movie decades later to write him a theme.

I wonder why Finn didn't got his own personal theme. Rey, Poe, Kylo, Rose, Snoke and even Holdo got theirs, but not him.

On the other hand... Ron Weasley didn't receive a theme either. Neither did Han (on the original trilogy), only a love theme for him and Leia.

So, maybe Williams is not a fan of sidekicks/funny friend of the main hero?

2 hours ago, Smaug the iron said:

I really do think so. It seems to be a variation on the theme we hear most overtly in “We Go Together” which would make that an apt track title, and there are some other emotional variants in the recording session clips it seems. I think it’s for the three of them and the group adventure.

If so hope we get some rad action moments.

55 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

Sorry if anyone has already pointed this out but... 

Approaching the Throne... 1:35 - 2:06 

is very similar to...

0.00 - 0.52

Yes, one of the first things I picked out!

On 12/11/2019 at 10:20 PM, Jay said:

09 Hard to Get Rid Of (2:19)

• 1:29 The Emperor's Theme

You can also hear a brief snippet of The Imperial March at around 1:54.

6 hours ago, DoctorRagnarok said:

Does anyone think Jannah and Zorii will get leitmotifs of their own?

For Zorii, "Fleeing from Kimiji" at 0'26 ?

The new theme, maybe considered to be the Trio's/friends theme which is heard at the beginning of "rescue" or in full at the end of "Farewell"(3:35) (which I find beautiful btw), sounds more like a theme Williams would use in a jurassic park movie and not so much in a star wars episode.. Anyone? 

8 minutes ago, Lao Che said:

The new theme(maybe the Trio's/friends theme heard in full at the end of "Farewell"(3:35), which I find beautiful btw) , sounds more like a new theme Williams would use in a jurassic park movie and not so much in a star wars episode.. 

Have you heard the two themes he used to close out the original saga?  I think the new one is more SWy than either of those two. 

32 minutes ago, Tom said:

Have you heard the two themes he used to close out the original saga?  I think the new one is more SWy than either of those two. 

Yes and I agree with you in part, I think Williams uses more motifs or snippets of new themes to create the necessary feeling for the ending of the original saga, rather than actual soaring themes, which would be more in line with his classical influences at that time. Now, the new theme might sound more melodic and therefore more starwarsy, but in terms of harmony, phrase and construction (and kitsch.. :)) more like his work in jurassic park - IMHO, of course.. 😆 - but, who knows, maybe TROS needs that kitsch and it will fit like luke skywalkers glove...😏guess we will find out soon enough! 😉 

I am thinking of Yub Nub in particular, followed by the SE flute theme.  They just don't scream SW to me-well, especially at the time.  I think the new theme, at least the track in question, is has a stronger "goodbye" quality to it, if that makes sense.  I also think it fitting that the "meta" meaning of it is Williams saying goodbye to the franchise.  It also has a strong fairy tale quality to it, which is also quite fitting for the close of a Once upon a Time saga.  

That's my opinion exactly, the fairy tale sense that one gets with the new theme at the ending is the right comparison indeed. Maybe it will also fit the "new" SW world and feeling created for the last trilogy - It is, after all, a work of fantasy and Scifi that comes to an end - or at least momentarily (disneywise), but definitely, like you said, for Williams. 

I have to say that this kind of grand themes with a general sense of  "goodbye" and the melancholy that comes with it, have been present for a while now in Williams scores and concert work.. but maybe that's just me.. 

3 hours ago, Lao Che said:

The new theme, maybe considered to be the Trio's/friends theme which is heard at the beginning of "rescue" or in full at the end of "Farewell"(3:35) (which I find beautiful btw), sounds more like a theme Williams would use in a jurassic park movie and not so much in a star wars episode.. Anyone? 

They sound like different themes to me.

5 hours ago, Obi said:

For Zorii, "Fleeing from Kimiji" at 0'26 ?

Fingers crossed. Hopefully Jannah gets something too.

Sorry Bespin, I accidentally edited/deleted your post instead of posting my reply (I'm serious).  Can you post it again?

EDIT: You were asking me and Jay how many new members/"trolls" have joined the forums these days and that they should pay attention to your discography, or something like that.

5 hours ago, DoctorRagnarok said:

They sound like different themes to me.

It's the same theme in both tracks, but just a bit shorter at the beginning of "rescue" and with a different orchestration than in "Farewell" 

2 hours ago, dylanskie said:

Does anyone hear what sound like faint male vocals coming from the right channel in "In the Desert" at about 1:43?

Maybe that's why something weird came up when I Shazamed it?

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Shazam just told me a portion of "In The Desert" is actually "Alleys (Version Francaise)" by Domeno Feat. Kain.

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe that's why something weird came up when I Shazamed it?

Yeah, possibly... they could've uploaded a different take from the OST and Shazam didn't like that. Those vocals certainly don't sound like they belong in there, though, unless they were badly dialed out for the FYC

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

The “Rescue” and “Farewell” themes are the same, but not what people are considering the trio theme (for now). That’s a different melody, at the start and end of “We Go Together”.

There we go. It's also in both "Kijimi" tracks. The "Farewell" theme is something different.

The trio theme is really growing on me. At first I couldn't recall it for the life of me, but I have a feeling both themes (trio and farewell) will get a great workout on the OST. Though, both themes and moments in the underscore remind me of both BFG and War Horse like Prologue, Fleeing from Kijimi, Rescue and Farewell. 

Yeah the new heroic  theme in Rescue/Farewell/Approaching the Throne is 100% the same theme

The other one in We Go Together and other tracks is different

But they could be the A and B theme in the same concert arrangement

Is it just me or the cool French horn motif at 0:20 of “Off the Waterfront” sounds kind of like the sequence in 4&5th bars of the theme in the Anthony Daniels videos?

On 12/10/2019 at 10:11 PM, Jay said:

03 We Go Together (2:10)

• 0:14 NEW THEME #2 (new character theme?)
  • 0:30 NEW THEME #2 (Anakin's Theme-esque B section?)
  • 1:07 Rey's Theme
  • 1:21 The Force Theme
  • 1:58 NEW THEME #2 (Anakin's Theme-esque B section?)

I don't know if it was mentioned, but the new theme #2 starts earlier the second time. At 1.45 and then at 1.52 it changes direction.