The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Amazing the little details you pick up on repeat plays. Listen to 1:18 - 1:22 of Prologue. That's Rey's theme, right?

That's a great find. It's really buried in there. The scene it corresponds to in the movie has no explicit mention of Rey, which is interesting

6 hours ago, Alan said:

Amazing the little details you pick up on repeat plays. Listen to 1:18 - 1:22 of Prologue. That's Rey's theme, right?

5 hours ago, dylanskie said:

That's a great find. It's really buried in there. The scene it corresponds to in the movie has no explicit mention of Rey, which is interesting

Rey's Theme being there is notated on the theme list in the main post of this thread

I took it out of spoiler tags now and revised some of the theme names

I am open to all corrections and additions to the theme list if people think anything about it is wrong - let's hear it!

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

I pointed out that's Rey's Theme right there as soon as the FYC dropped.  It's notated on the theme list in the main post of this thread

I haven't studied the theme list closely, so I must not have made note of that. I'm going to look at it more closely once I've seen the movie and can understand some of Williams' choices better.

Since Rey has nothing to do with the prologue that exists in the film now, I can't imagine what her theme is doing there

17 minutes ago, Smaug the iron said:

:whistle:

Apologies, all credit to @Smaug the iron for first pointing out the theme was there!  I forget which themes I noticed right away and which others first pointed out and I added to the list.

13 minutes ago, dylanskie said:

I haven't studied the theme list closely, so I must not have made note of that. I'm going to look at it more closely once I've seen the movie and can understand some of Williams' choices better.

The thing is, the prologue as it exists in the final cut has nothing to do with Rey.  The footage scored by her theme there is just Kylo Ren in ship approaching Exegol.  Since the whole snippet of music in the FYC from 0:56-1:28 seems to have been snipped out of the OST at 2:33 of Journey to Exegol, I don't really get what the opening of film was like when Williams, unless it was bouncing back and forth between Rey training as Kylo hunts for the Wayfinder then uses it to get to Exegol or something

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The thing is, the prologue as it exists in the final cut has nothing to do with Rey.  The footage scored by her theme there is just Kylo Ren in ship approaching Exegol.  Since the whole snippet of music in the FYC from 0:56-1:28 seems to have been snipped out of the OST at 2:33 of Journey to Exegol, I don't really get what the opening of film was like when Williams, unless it was bouncing back and forth between Rey training as Kylo hunts for the Wayfinder then uses it to get to Exegol or something

Yeah. The opening was probably a lot like what you suggested, and then I guess Williams left her theme in. It's a shame that the first two OST tracks are hacked to pieces, but at least we have what's in the film on the FYC.

The only plausible reason for using her theme in there in the final cut of the film, in my opinion, would be that Kylo is thinking of her--but there's no mention of her before he flies to Exegol, and they didn't have a force connection either, so I don't think that's what's going on. It still sounds cool in there without her being associated with the scene

Still trying to make sense of my combined track order, specifically the track Parents. Based on the previous listings it's been put after Approaching the Throne chronologically, but is that its actual placing? I couldn't remember hearing it during the end sequence the times I've watched the film.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Since Rey has nothing to do with the prologue that exists in the film now, I can't imagine what her theme is doing there

Apologies, all credit to @Smaug the iron for first pointing out the theme was there!  I forget which themes I noticed right away and which others first pointed out and I added to the list.

It's worth noting that, unless I'm mistaken, that exact same music is later used for when Rey also flies to Exegol—although I think I remember her theme that time being played higher, by horns rather than trombones. I could be misremembering. But I almost wonder if that bit was written for her scene first, and then reused for the beginning with Kylo(?).

On 12/21/2019 at 11:01 PM, Jay said:

From all the varying reports coming in, I guess it just varies from theater to theater - maybe even where you are sitting within the theater.

When I saw it, I could hear all the music very well the entire time

The theatre I was in had a horrible mix. The basses made you feel like an earthquake was going on. The music was totally distorted.

Now that I think about it , Williams leaving off "Lando Arrives" main theme rendition  on the OST  is exactly like when didn't include  Helicopter Rescue and Indy Climbs the Sub on the Superman and Raiders OSTs , both cues containing the most heroic and glorious statements of the themes

17 hours ago, TheAvengerButton said:

Still trying to make sense of my combined track order, specifically the track Parents. Based on the previous listings it's been put after Approaching the Throne chronologically, but is that its actual placing? I couldn't remember hearing it during the end sequence the times I've watched the film.

Parents is absolutely the very next cue in the film directly after Approaching The Throne, and it plays in its entirety in the film exactly as it appears on the FYC album

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

Now that I think about it , Williams leaving off "Lando Arrives" main theme rendition  on the OST  is exactly like when didn't include  Helicopter Rescue and Indy Climbs the Sub on the Superman and Raiders OSTs , both cues containing the most heroic and glorious statements of the themes

Yea good point.  I wonder what his thought process behind those decisions is...

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It isn't many weeks since the final recording session, so in order to get the physical OSTs out to stores in time, they probably couldn't include everything they wanted.

The OST was not finalized and mastered until after the final recording session.  They had access to everything recorded.  We got what JW wanted us to hear!

That may be so, but there are plenty of Rey theme occurrences that he does offer on this OST, but that are not her training session cue, or the cue of her fighting Palpatine's guards (and Kylo fighting the Knights of Ren). It's frustrating.

Something always has to give when there's only 80 minutes of space on the album and over 180 minutes of score. There was enough room for one extra cue though, so it's a pity he didn't max out the available space.

Rey's and Ren's themes are criminally underdeveloped on the soundtrack relative to their presentation in the film, especially the latter. 

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

He's always leaned in favour of new, original music over reprises of existing themes though. Which is understandable but frustrating. 

Why? Isn't isn't it better to get the new music?

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why? Isn't isn't it better to get the new music?

Well that depends on how good the new music is ;)

For example, I'd have rathered all the great new plays on Indy and Marion's themes on the KOCS OST than all that monotonous new underscore he included instead.

Of course, he also omitted a lot of great new music on that soundtrack as well, so... :sarcasm:

There’s cues on this album I’d rather have than those two. I think, for example, if we took out “Reunion” and replaced it with those, people would say “Reunion” is the absolute highlight of the score and that it should have been on the album.  I think the importance of these cues is inflated by the fact we don’t have them.  Of course, there are cues on the album I’d rather those two over...

All those are very nice, but God, there really was no Dark Side Beckons on the OST? I'm glad I wasn't around at the time to be devastated by this particular omission.

The Return of the Jedi OST album released in 1983 was 40 minutes long and only had a few actual film cues, the bulk of the album was concert arrangements and alternates

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Something always has to give when there's only 80 minutes of space on the album and over 180 minutes of score. There was enough room for one extra cue though, so it's a pity he didn't max out the available space.

Rey's and Ren's themes are criminally underdeveloped on the soundtrack relative to their presentation in the film, especially the latter. 

Spoiler

Is it at all possible that the major-key, post-redemption Kylo material was left off the album for spoiler reasons?

I doubt it.  I think JW just has different ideas for what should go on an OST album than most of his fans would have

He's firmly in the mindset of taking listeners through a journey, including his classic moments, and not at all in the mindset of 'woah that cue I just did is really good, I must release it'.

He badly needs someone to listen to his assembly, watch the film and make some recommendations. Although, thinking about that, it would also involve having to point out to him bits that were expendable, and no one is going to tell him that.

17 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Hide contents

Is it at all possible that the major-key, post-redemption Kylo material was left off the album for spoiler reasons?

It really would be an ephemeral product if it was produced to suit a paper thin narrow timeframe where people are eager to minimise their exposure to plot points before actually viewing the film.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

He's firmly in the mindset of taking listeners through a journey, including his classic moments, and not at all in the mindset of 'woah that cue I just did is really good, I must release it'.

And then 90% of his complete scores are still tons better journeys and listening experiences than his OSTs!

I agree some scores have great music omitted from the album, but it's best to just enjoy what you have. Many of us were born into a world where albums were being expanded, beginning with Star Wars in the early 90s and we've gotten most of JW's music since then. Having the choice between the expanded versions and albums is nice. This animosity towards OSTs is baffling to me.

56 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Having the choice between the expanded versions and albums is nice. This animosity towards OSTs is baffling to me.

You make it sound like wanting to hear a complete score is unreasonable, and I see it the other way round. The 'be lucky for what you have' argument doesn't seem logical for me, because provided the composer is happy and there are no major financial/legal barriers, there's no reason whatsoever why all the music shouldn't be released.

Loads of smaller films have complete releases right from the start and I never hear anyone complain about those. Is it just possible that some people respect JW so much that requesting music unapproved by him is frowned upon? I think JW should be trusted least out of almost any working composer in this regard.