The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

On 12/24/2019 at 3:33 PM, Jay said:

Holy shit.  When you list it out like that, it's stunning.  John Williams really has a different concept of what a score highlight is, compared to the fans of his work.

KM knows his unreleased Williams highlights and should be taken into considerantion when talking about them, not mocked as a whinny fan as it happens most of the times ... :stick:

I don’t think JW is bad at guessing/knowing what the fans want.

There’s only so much music you can put on an album. At some point, there’s one thing or other you have to leave out - and no matter what that is - as JW fans we will always want that moment.

If JW then had put “that moment” on the album that would mean some other cue would be missing, and then we’d want that one, and so on...

On 12/23/2019 at 10:01 AM, King Mark said:

Now that I think about it , Williams leaving off "Lando Arrives" main theme rendition  on the OST  is exactly like when didn't include  Helicopter Rescue and Indy Climbs the Sub on the Superman and Raiders OSTs , both cues containing the most heroic and glorious statements of the themes

I have heard that theme often enough. I want the 20-second Knights of Ren cue.

The Training Cue, Lando Returns, Falcon Flight should all be on the OST but there's simply not enough room. There's well over 80 minutes of really great music in this score so something has to give, short of someone convincing JW to move beyond single disc soundtracks.

I am confident were I given access to the entire 3 hours or whatever it is of recording sessions, I could build an 80 minute highlight album that would please most fans.

There's never pleasing everybody, of course, but the collection of cues most would remember after seeing the movie or listening to an album once are easy to figure out, along with the cues that tell the biggest pieces of the narrative story of the film (like the deconstruction of Kylo's theme in this score)

I would have thought JW would be first in line asking for proper chronological presentations of these scores, considering how intricately he develops the themes throughout them. Kylo's theme in TROS being the standout, but you don't get any sense of that development in the final assembly (and it's not isolated to TROS, he regularly omits new versions of old themes on these things).

Ultimately it just robs the scores of their full potential, from a listening experience standpoint. 

Out of the 80 minute album, what would you remove and replace with another cue? Maybe cut out the two minute reprisal of the Imperial March? Anything else? Because the album itself doesn’t have too many cues that I’d remove.

I can't say I've put any thought into that yet, but there are certainly some tracks on the OST I don't feel are necessary to telling the story in 80 minutes

I am also quite happy with the OST.

I haven’t listened to the FYC yet, no time around the holidays. Is “Lando Returns” and “The Training Course” on there? I cannot remember the cues from the movie?

5 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Weird that the FYC site is still not back up. Wonder what that's about?

They got the shortlist mention they wanted. Their work now is done.

Now the music branch can experience the score in  the film as it the academy prefers anyways.

@Jay am I hearing Anthem of Evil at 1:11 in Advice? It is from the moment where:

Spoiler

Kylo seems to be hesitant mirroring the TFA bridge scene with Han.

I watched the film last night and noticed that.

Karol

It's for my website, I used the logo Disney put on their website for the moment. We are not even sure that it will get a physical release like Jay pointed out earlier. Thanks!

This FYC still sounds like it was assembled by someone on a late Friday afternoon who  just wanted to go on his weekend break. or didn't finish it before they decided to put it online

If they made it a bit longer and included a few more cues we wanted to hear we might be happier with our expanded sets right now

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I whipped up this "cover" when the FYC first dropped, it's a portion of the FYC site

cover.JPG

Thanks, it's better like that with the JW mention, I'll use it on my website!

If you listen to Join Me on the OST and then on the FYC it is almost the same, except on the FYC you can here Luke's Theme fore the moment Rey jumps on to the Falcon. But I think Luke's Theme is tracked in that scene.

Because if you are listening to Battle of the Resistance (OST and FYC) you can here the same version of Luke's Theme. 

13 hours ago, Smaug the iron said:

If you listen to Join Me on the OST and then on the FYC it is almost the same, except on the FYC you can here Luke's Theme fore the moment Rey jumps on to the Falcon. But I think Luke's Theme is tracked in that scene.

Because if you are listening to Battle of the Resistance (OST and FYC) you can here the same version of Luke's Theme. 

Yes! However now I notice the cut where the cues were spliced together after the statement of Luke's Theme.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

So still no FYC site. Is it really not coming back?

Might not be back up - I wonder if Disney would've sent the academy a link to a digital copy instead of bothering with discs...

The fact the film was so divisive with critics could mean they won't bother spending money or campaigning for the film at the Oscars (in which case, no physical FYCs).

Different story if the film was better received but the general consensus is that it was a mess.